Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

JayLinh
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Corsair H115i , PC Idle temperatures spiking

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello, I recently had my PC put together for me a shop, however I notice that my idle temperatures spike 25-30c higher than the room temp, and 20-25c higher than the water temp.

The software will display half the cores around 25-30, and the other ones jumping from 25~50-55. This continues to go on between all the cores and slowly heads them all up to 30-33. However, they continue to jump to 50+. I'd like to really test the PC, but without temps being able to stabilize and jumping so easily it seems like there may be an issue in the long run.

The water temp is stable during this idle period. I brought it back to have the processor cooling unit remounted, but same result. 

I am using a Intel Core i7 6700k , and a Corsair .H115i. and i'm looking to ask/answer whatever questions necessary. 

What gives? 

HellDiver
Gerbil

Re: Corsair H115i , PC Idle temperatures spiking

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:13 am

Almost certainly they've fitted the back plate behind the socket upside down.  I did that the first time I fitted my old H100i to a CPU, so the water block was only hitting one side of the CPU.

The back of the Intel socket has 3 screws protruding through it, two at the top, one at the bottom in the middle.  The Corsair back plate has a flat cutout which takes the two top screws.  If it's the wrong way up, everything will appear to go together correctly, but you'll end up with what you're describing.
[email protected], Asus X99-A, H110iGT, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400, Strix 980Ti, 950 Pro M.2, 2x MX300 RAID0, AX860, Define R5 BOE, Win10 Pro.

Michaelzehr
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:49 am

My son just built a system with a 6700k and a Corsair h115i.  He saw CPU thermal throttling and discovered that the corsair link software had somehow switched to silent setting and thus was capped at 30%. He set it to normal and the problem went away.  Good luck figuring out what's causing your situation.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

My 6700K does the same thing, even with a full custom water loop. The contact between the die and the IHS isn't great, so even small spikes of activity will cause core temperatures to jump wildly from second to second.

Mine is so bad it even throttles @ 99 C under heavy transcoding workloads at stock speeds.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:19 am

Crazy. I have a 7700K under a H115i that I put together last weekend. Load temps with F@H are ~46ºC @ stock. Have not OC'd yet. Idle temps are ~30ºC. Never seen any spikes like you guys are talking about.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 am

drfish wrote:
Crazy. I have a 7700K under a H115i that I put together last weekend. Load temps with F@H are ~46ºC @ stock. Have not OC'd yet. Idle temps are ~30ºC. Never seen any spikes like you guys are talking about.

You got lucky in the IHS lottery, then.

I'm close to delidding mine and reapplying paste since it's so bad I don't even want to attempt a mild OC.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:33 am

This thread is making me want to double check my numbers. But there's no way I'm taking the thing apart if it really is working this well. Sounds like it's my duty to OC it a bit and see what happens.

JayLinh
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 pm

HellDiver wrote:
Almost certainly they've fitted the back plate behind the socket upside down.  I did that the first time I fitted my old H100i to a CPU, so the water block was only hitting one side of the CPU.

The back of the Intel socket has 3 screws protruding through it, two at the top, one at the bottom in the middle.  The Corsair back plate has a flat cutout which takes the two top screws.  If it's the wrong way up, everything will appear to go together correctly, but you'll end up with what you're describing.

Is it recommended I attempt to adjust the issue or should I first confirm if this is true and get the shops attention?

JayLinh
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Also, there is now an occasionally rattling/crackling sound from the water system, some say it it airbubbles but I'm not entirely sure

K-L-Waster
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:08 pm

JayLinh wrote:
HellDiver wrote:

Is it recommended I attempt to adjust the issue or should I first confirm if this is true and get the shops attention?

If you paid the shop to build the system, I would recommend taking it back to them and making them fix it. Only try to fix it yourself if you want to take full responsibility for it from now on (odds are they will use the fact you changed something as an excuse to not support you). 
Main System: i7-8700K, ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, ASUS 6800XT, 1 TB WD_Black SN750, Corsair 550D

HTPC: I5-4460, ASUS H97M-E, 8 GB RAM, GTX 970, CRUCIAL 256GB MX100, SILVERSTONE GD09B

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:53 pm

There should definitely NOT be the sounds your described coming from a water cooler. Be extremely careful about transportation, and I mean carrying your PC to a vehicle, setting it in a vehicle, driving it in a vehicle, you get the point. I stripped out two screw holes on a Corsair H80i recently during transportation - and I didn't know it until I vacuumed and went to remount the radiator. I should have known better from when UPS knocked a 212 EVO off an APU years ago during assembled shipment. Contact the shop. I suppose there is the slight possibility that they didn't get the pump set correctly in the UEFI - maybe the pump is inadvertently being controlled by CPU power management, which is usually a bad idea. But the likely culprit is indeed the Corsair backplate - it looks square but there is a right way and a very wrong way.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

JayLinh
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm

I confirmed with the shop that I would be bringing it back this Saturday. I will keep the back plate comment in mind!

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:54 pm

https://youtu.be/Cxm3rdjl5dE

Sound like this? If so it is a faulty fan. The bearings/brushes aren't balanced or on properly and wobble a little bit. Check to see if that fan looks to be running slower than the other. It may be slow to ramp up or not hit it's target RPM. If it doesn't keep up with a CPU load it can cause those spikes.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x