Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

SmallinJeck
Gerbil
Topic Author

Time Adjustment Problems

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 am

I have an HP desktop which has recently started misbehaving and I don't know what to do. Every time I shut it down, it resets its clock to 1980. So I have to adjust the clock and date very time I switch it on. Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong here? How am I going to fix this problem? Thank you. 

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Time Adjustment Problems

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 am

1. The most likely issue is that the onboard battery keeps the hardware clock going has died and needs to be replaced. It's a coin-type battery but it's up to you to figure out the exact kind and replace it.

2. Replacing the battery is actually not 100% necessary, just use a time synchronization service (Windows has one built in) and the system can automatically get the correct time on bootup.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:44 am

Almost all motherboards made in the past ~15 years use a CR2032 3V lithium battery to maintain the BIOS settings and clock. If you open the system up you should be able to see it on the motherboard somewhere. Carefully pop it out of the holder, and (after verifying the type of battery) buy a replacement of the same type and install it, making sure you orient it with the + and - sides facing the same way as the old one. You don't need the exact same brand as long as it is the same type (voltage and physical dimensions). Panasonic, Energizer, and Duracell are the most common "name brand" ones; I'd be a little leery of off-brand ones (they can already be half dead when you get them).

If you had made any tweaks to your BIOS settings prior to the problem starting, then those settings likely got reset to defaults when the battery died, so you'll need to apply them again.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SmallinJeck
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 am

Wow, so it's the battery? I don't think I've made any changes to the BIOS settings so that shouldn't give me problems. I appreciate your input. Thanks a lot guys.