Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Your Ryzen Overclock - RAM Speeds Please

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:51 pm

If you're one of the lucky gerbils sporting a Ryzen system, please post your OC and benchmarks here. Also, if any of you feel so obliged, post your RAM speeds, and maybe even lowering your clock and benching your system again. Curious to see if there is a ceiling on diminishing returns for RAM speeds. I'm thinking it is around 3200 but would love to see some data points.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Your Ryzen Overclock - RAM Speeds Please

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:14 pm

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD ... is/12.html

It's not overclocked but it should at least help.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 01, 2017 3:22 pm

If I overclock my CPU and RAMs , and I use non-stop while they overclocked. Any damage occur my system? or not?

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm

I read some topics about my question. CPU and RAM overclock dont damage PC system in long term.

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Robotics wrote:
I read some topics about my question. CPU and RAM overclock dont damage PC system in long term.

Depends on the heat and how stressed the components in question get. You can damage components, but damaging the entire system is unlikely unless you're messing with voltage to degrees you shouldn't be. Or the power supply isn't really up to it in the first place.

I've got my 1700 with the stock cooler on 3.5ghz right now. Left RAM at its stock 2400 cause it didn't seem stable when I pushed it higher.
Meow.

Robotics
Gerbil First Class

Tue May 02, 2017 5:05 pm

LostCat wrote:
Robotics wrote:

Depends on the heat and how stressed the components in question get. You can damage components, but damaging the entire system is unlikely unless you're messing with voltage to degrees you shouldn't be. Or the power supply isn't really up to it in the first place.

I've got my 1700 with the stock cooler on 3.5ghz right now. Left RAM at its stock 2400 cause it didn't seem stable when I pushed it higher.

Yeah, I looked my stress test. Voltage 1.40 and RAMs 2400 on my Ryzen. I look for for this, I thought If I use these modes non-stop and maybe my system collapse, but then read some topics, I understand no damage for long term period. If this action make some damage, so I turn back normal usage and use my system normal mode.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 02, 2017 7:28 pm

When trying to estimate CPU wear rate, I'd go with [halved life per every 10C increase] times [some very steep voltage-based formula I don't know] times the duty cycle. It does depend on quite a few implementation details I'm not familiar with, but if a core is in one of the deeper sleep states, I expect you could throw quite a lot of voltage at it with no ill effects.

When sorting this out for my own CPUs, I treat each 0.03V increase as halving the expected life (which is probably pretty conservative, but I'd rather be conservative with this). That means if I expect my CPU manufacturer had a design life in mind of 10 years 24/7 at their top all-core voltage bin, and I want to adjust to 2.5 years 24/7 and expect my cooler to be able to keep it to 70C in normal use (30 below spec), I'll go as far as 0.15V over that top manufacturer bin (0.09 from thermal headroom and 0.06 from acceptable reduced lifetime). Ryzen (XFR, really) does a bunch of weird stuff that makes this a bit tougher, but maybe I'll be able to glean more about that voltage/wear curve by examining its operation.

In short, yes overclocking wears things out faster, but things wear anyway. It just happens slowly enough that you're not going to notice, and overclocking isn't going to change that unless you're either abusing it with an extremely high-temperature workload 24/7 (like prime95) or overclocking to unreasonable levels. At 1.40V, don't worry about it.

BurntMyBacon
Gerbil

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am

The system I'm working with:
Corsair HX1000i
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (BIOS 1403 - AGESA 1.0.0.6)
AMD Ryzen 1700X
Corsair Hydro H110i
4x16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-3200 16-18-18-38
EVGA Geforce 1080 FTW
Samsung 950Pro w/Heatspreader

With this memory, I've been able to hit RAM speeds at 2666MHz since BIOS 0902. It came out of an Intel Skylake system where it had no trouble at all running 3200MHz. I had hoped that the AGESA 1.0.0.6 update would allow me to push it up to 3200MHz on the Ryzen system. It does detect the XMP profile under D.O.C.P. now, but every time I boot the system with the memory speed set anywhere north of 2666MHz, it shows the memory speed running at 2133MHz. The odd part is that I don't get the multiple reboots that used to accompany failed memory settings in earlier BIOS revisions. I've played around with quite a few settings in the new BIOS to no avail. I seem to be missing some critical setting. Of course it could just be a Ryzen / Crosshair VI / 64GB RAM issue. It would be appreciated if anyone with a similar setup would post how fast they got it running and all changes they made to their BIOS to get it there. Of primary interest is any setups with 64GB RAM and secondary to that setups on the Crosshair VI motherboard.

Note: This is not my system, so I only have limited time and access to the system. I won't be able to post change by change updates and wait for responses. I'd like to gather as much information as possible on working setups so that if one or several setups don't succeed, I still have options to try. I've done a fair amount of research, so try to be as detailed and explicit as possible. Thanks to all who take the time to post.