Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Water Replacement in Sealed Closed Loop H80i?

Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 pm

I've had a Corsair H80i sealed closed loop keeping things in check with my i7-2600k CPU o/c to 4.4Ghz since 2012. I use the PC a lot and sometimes it runs perpetually for months without powering down.
At what point does the liquid need to be replaced, if at all? Since it's a sealed closed loop does it suffer from evaporation over time?
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Water Replacement in Sealed Closed Loop H80i?

Fri May 05, 2017 2:07 pm

So long as it stays sealed you're probably going to be fine as far as things like evaporation are concerned. There was a story here a while ago posted by some dude who now has a crazy beard about an H60 failing, but that's the only case of a CLC failing like that I can think of offhand.

If your temps are good, and there's no outward signs of a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 05, 2017 2:12 pm

If you end up low on water you'll hear a lot of cavitation from the pump. My wife's first H100 suffered from this, so we ended up chopping it up into a no-so-closed loop with a real reservoir. We do live at high altitude (7500 ft) and in a dry climate so it accelerates any issues.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 05, 2017 2:35 pm

I remember Damage having that issue. It's one reason I won't go with CLC, they eventually lose their coolant and it either needs to be Frankensteined or tossed. I'd be careful about chopping it up. A similar event provoked me down a similar route when I was younger. It ended in me swearing off the stuff until I become rich and have tons of free time (neither are likely, let alone both).

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm

My general recommendation is to replace the unit once the warranty has expired.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Fri May 05, 2017 3:44 pm

I have two H80i's from 2012. No coolant, pump, or noise issues, although I don't expect them to get any younger. In fact, the only problem is stripped threads in one radiator - so it became a push-only instead of push-pull, and case screws are now required for mounting that one.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Kougar

Sat May 06, 2017 8:00 am

All tubing types have an evaporation rate, and it can vary widely based on the type of tubing used. This is why CLCs tend to use tubing with a very low rate (and a few even have fill ports), but they will all end up needing water eventually. That is a big reason why 3-5 years is considered a good lifespan for the things.

Excepting models with a fillport most CLCs are not designed to be serviced. Some users do so anyway but it wouldn't be easy. You are probably best off letting it run until you notice a problem with it, then at that point you could make the attempt if you wanted.

Jon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just wait until a problem develops and then address it at that point.
Until then...cheers :)
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

End User

Sun May 07, 2017 3:10 pm

I've got two H70 units in a dual CPU build (2010) that has run 24/7 since day one. I've had no issues.