Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

i3-4160 Cooling

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 am

I've been rocking the stock cooler in this Intel machine for a couple years now, and it's done well enough. But, every time my hand bumps the cooler it pops out of place.

While I'm waiting for my PSU RMA, I thought I'd go ahead and get a better HSF or go with a water cooling setup.

I'm kind of tempted to go whole hog and get a Fractal Design Celsius S24, but it may be a bit overkill.

What I'm really interested in is a heat sink that doesn't use a plastic push pin that nearly impossible to click without breaking the board in half. So, a mount with screws would be nice.

Right now, the stock HSF is keeping the processor under 70, I think, which seems a bit warm to me. But, my old AMD A3400M is probably giving me an unrealistic expectation of staying well below 60.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: i3-4160 Cooling

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 am

Water cooling an i3 makes no practical sense. However, doing it to just do it is just fine. It isn't like you would be overclocking it. I have an old i3-2120t, a lovely 35w part. But heat has never been much of an issue for i3's. Shoot, don't the i7's use the same HSF as the i3's?

Myself, I would relax about the board attachment and just get a solid old Corsair H60. They just plain work. And while the attachments scare you, there are enough users of these who have experienced no issues that it would be very worthwhile to choose it.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:29 am

Hmm. I cooled some Haswell CPUs in an Antec ISK 300 with a small Xigmatek Praeton heatsink/fan for a while. Kept temps very low. That particular system I tried a wide range of CPUs with the heatsink, from i3-4130T up to i5-4670k - and it handled them all pretty well. I think I had settled on an i3-4370 for a while before switching it out for an i5-4590S. But I also had 2x 80mm exhaust fans which helped get the hot air out of the case quickly. Still nice and quiet. The Xigmatek Janus is also excellent, used that in a Silverstone Sugo 05 with a 4570k and later a 4790k and it was great there. Neither was very expensive, but sadly I don't think either are easily found anymore for a reasonable price. A $110 watercooling setup is neat but if the whole system cost was kept under $500 at the time... why spend another 20% of the original price when you don't have to?

If it fits in the Node 804, I would start with Cooler Master's Hyper 212 EVO, typically available for $30-$35 at most shops (NCIXUS currently has it for $30). It's sort of the go-to inexpensive heatsink with excellent cooling capability. Like, why bother looking for something else. (If it fits of course! it's a bit tall). A year or two back I built a system in a Carbide 88R and discovered the 212 wouldn't fit (it was about 1cm too tall). While looking for alternatives I found Cryorig:

http://www.cryorig.com/

I wound up with the Cryorig H7. Similar design, but slightly shorter than the 212. Also available for roughly the same price (from CRYOSTORE on Newegg's marketplace, other sellers will try to price gouge). I used one for over a year in that case cooling an i5-6600k and i7-6700k and its performance was excellent. Personally I prefer it to the CM 212, but I think that's mostly due to the white fan on it. I'd be happy with either one. I also had a Cryorig C7 in a system for a while and it was excellent as long as the motherboard was designed properly.

But! That said, I also think that either of those would be huge overkill for an i3-4160, so I would suggest you consider something even less expensive, like the Cryorig M9i. $20 is a hard price to beat and the performance is excellent (Review at TechPowerUp here; they test with an i7-4770k so their temps are going to report higher than what you'll see with your CPU).

So I can highly recommend their parts, and I think you can definitely find a good option and keep it under $40.
<3 TR

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 am

The CM Hyper T4 is $12 after MIR until 7/23. Sounds like a pretty fantastic deal to me.

The Cryorig M9i was my first thought. It would be more than enough to cool an i3. But the T4 is cheaper. The fact that the T4 has more fin area and a larger fan than the M9i would typically equate to lower temps and/or noise, but that's probably irrelevant for this application. If you don't want to deal with MIR, then $20 for the M9i is a great choice also.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Oh, no! I really hate choice some times.

I think we have eliminated water cooling (sorry TheEmrys).

Everything I've seen in the way of testing has used CPUs with much higher TDP than my 54W.

The CRYORIG M9i looks promising. The Cooler Masters (MasterAir Pro 3, Hyper T4, 212), though, I can get shipped to me in two days for free.

I'm definitely going to need some measurements before I order anything.

But, I'm in no big hurry as I've just sent out the RMA 3 hours ago.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I have a Cryorig H7 on the 4590 in my HTPC and it works quite well. Installation was a little odd, but it wasn't bad. It makes excellent use of limited space and is super quiet. There's quite a bit of heat trapped in my home theater cabinet but the system never has any problems and never gets loud.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 pm

You mention stock cooler, before you do anything else, have you changed the thermal paste from stock to your favorite, maybe some Noctua NT-H1. I tested stock intel cooler/paste vs stock/noctua paste just for reference, in prep of delidding and it was a good 10C drop on max temps, not much on idle. That might be enough to keep cooler from hitting annoying noise level RPMs. Keep your money to spend on new hardware.

Also, for all its faults, the stock intel cooler does send air over everything around it: VRMs, chips, RAM... be mindful of changing air flow of your motherboards special bits.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 am

DPete27 wrote:
The CM Hyper T4 is $12 after MIR until 7/23. Sounds like a pretty fantastic deal to me.

I'll second that at that price.

Been using 212 for i5's and TX3/103 for i3's.
The TX3 and 103 are basically the same except the TX3 is pushpin and the 103 has a really good backplate mount.
http://www.hardwarebbq.com/cooler-maste ... er-review/

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:17 am

HERETIC wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

The TX3 and 103 are basically the same except the TX3 is pushpin and the 103 has a really good backplate mount.

Side note: Looks like the T4 has the problematic mount for AMD sockets where you can only mount it with the fan blowing upwards. Not a big deal if your case has top exhaust vents, but non-optimal if it doesn't.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 am

blahsaysblah wrote:
You mention stock cooler, before you do anything else, have you changed the thermal paste from stock to your favorite, maybe some Noctua NT-H1. I tested stock intel cooler/paste vs stock/noctua paste just for reference, in prep of delidding and it was a good 10C drop on max temps, not much on idle. That might be enough to keep cooler from hitting annoying noise level RPMs. Keep your money to spend on new hardware.

Also, for all its faults, the stock intel cooler does send air over everything around it: VRMs, chips, RAM... be mindful of changing air flow of your motherboards special bits.

This is a good point, but my concern is that the cooler isn't fitting as tightly as it should. Nor is it staying secure as a bump from my fingers is popping it out.

Now, I'm wondering if GeekSquad broke it some how.

Edit: Isn't!

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:57 am

just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
DPete27 wrote:

Side note: Looks like the T4 has the problematic mount for AMD sockets where you can only mount it with the fan blowing upwards. Not a big deal if your case has top exhaust vents, but non-optimal if it doesn't.

NOT A BIG DEAL-as we're discussing a replacement for a Intel cooler...............

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am

HERETIC wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:

NOT A BIG DEAL-as we're discussing a replacement for a Intel cooler...............

That's why I said "side note". It's a nice cooler otherwise (and a fantastic deal at that price). I just thought I'd toss that caveat out there for anyone who might be reading this thread and go "Hey, maybe I'll grab an extra one of those for my upcoming Ryzen build too."
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 pm

And now that I've taken a look at the Cryorig C7, that's looking rather aesthetically pleasing. (I have a window in my case. I didn't set out to have a windowed case, it just happened to have all the features I was looking for.) The C7 would fit in well with the black, white, and blue theme I've got going on here.

I know it doesn't cool as well as the others that have been recommended, but it does do better than the stock HSF according to the benchmarks on much hotter CPUs than mine.

I have the choices narrowed down to -- in no particular order -- the Cryorig C7, Cryorig M9i, and the Cooler Master Hyper T4. They all have something I like about them, and the customer reviews are, on the whole, good.

I'm going to have the wife pitch in her opinion since she has to look at my computer when she comes in to pester me 5 minutes before the end of any show I'm watching on Netflix. She has the best superpower for a supervillain.

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:16 pm

titan wrote:
This is a good point, but my concern is that the cooler isn't fitting as tightly as it should. Nor is it staying secure as a bump from my fingers is popping it out.

You sure one or more of the push down things that secure it in place just haven't been rotated into the release position? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I don't think I've ever had a problem with a stock intel cooler.

Personally I always try to mount the cooler before I put the board in the case. That way you can support the underside of the board a bit while you push the pins home.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 pm

cheesyking wrote:
titan wrote:

You sure one or more of the push down things that secure it in place just haven't been rotated into the release position? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I don't think I've ever had a problem with a stock intel cooler.

Personally I always try to mount the cooler before I put the board in the case. That way you can support the underside of the board a bit while you push the pins home.

Yup. I even watched a couple videos to make sure. The knobs are in the proper position.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:06 pm

@titan the Cryorig C7 would be a good fit if you're using the ASrock board you linked in your intel build thread. It's very low profile, and I had a pair of Gigabyte motherboards with the ferrite chokes inside the "CPU keep out area" specified by Intel. Technically they were within specification, but their height was the absolute max allowed by the specification and so they actually touched the bottom of the heatsink when it was tightly secured. Temps wound up too high for me to be happy with the setup, but it was because of Gigabyte's design and not a knock against the C7.

So if you're using that ASrock board it would be a good option to add to your list, as it looks like they've kept the "keep out area" clear of anything so tall it would contact the bottom of the heatsink. The cooling performance won't be quite as good as the M9i or the CM T4 / TX3 / 103, but should be better than stock and as you've mentioned, the white fan just looks good. :)
<3 TR

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:
@titan the Cryorig C7 would be a good fit if you're using the ASrock board you linked in your intel build thread. It's very low profile, and I had a pair of Gigabyte motherboards with the ferrite chokes inside the "CPU keep out area" specified by Intel. Technically they were within specification, but their height was the absolute max allowed by the specification and so they actually touched the bottom of the heatsink when it was tightly secured. Temps wound up too high for me to be happy with the setup, but it was because of Gigabyte's design and not a knock against the C7.

So if you're using that ASrock board it would be a good option to add to your list, as it looks like they've kept the "keep out area" clear of anything so tall it would contact the bottom of the heatsink. The cooling performance won't be quite as good as the M9i or the CM T4 / TX3 / 103, but should be better than stock and as you've mentioned, the white fan just looks good. :)

Still using the same ASrock H97M . Everything is pretty short around the socket. I found some images that show the one cap that's fairly close to the socket fitting with a couple millimeters to spare under the C7. So, shouldn't be a problem.

And, yes, the wife voted for the C7. Despite telling her the cheapest one was the T4.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:

On that same note, the C7 uses a pretty big back plate mechanism. Yes, the Noctua NH-L9i isnt super awesome cooler for i7k but if you're not trying to super surpass stock cooler,
- it just uses four thumb screws in the back, only possible conflict would be if you somehow have super extra short MB mounts/standoffs. The thumbscrew heads are 5mm high.
- uses standard user replaceable fan, comes with screws to swap to a 25mm high vs default 14mm fan. have, not necessary imo.
- does have a bit of groove on one edge underneath, so in exactly one position(not the position thats bad for thermals in vertical position, pipe bend up) it fits the ASRock H110M-STX board with its VRM heatsink in CPU area.
- you get a tube of Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste that's maybe a degree or two off from absolute "best" non-conductive pastes, depending on test. That's, not even relevant for not super OC-ing.

Not saying get noctua, but long term re-use, those are types of things to look for, if you dont want paper weight for next/other builds.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:47 pm

blahsaysblah wrote:
On that same note, the C7 uses a pretty big back plate mechanism. Yes, the Noctua NH-L9i isnt super awesome cooler for i7k but if you're not trying to super surpass stock cooler,
- it just uses four thumb screws in the back, only possible conflict would be if you somehow have super extra short MB mounts/standoffs. The thumbscrew heads are 5mm high.
- uses standard user replaceable fan, comes with screws to swap to a 25mm high vs default 14mm fan. have, not necessary imo.
- does have a bit of groove on one edge underneath, so in exactly one position(not the position thats bad for thermals in vertical position, pipe bend up) it fits the ASRock H110M-STX board with its VRM heatsink in CPU area.
- you get a tube of Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste that's maybe a degree or two off from absolute "best" non-conductive pastes, depending on test. That's, not even relevant for not super OC-ing.

Not saying get noctua, but long term re-use, those are types of things to look for, if you dont want paper weight for next/other builds.

So, I looked it up while the wife was in the room...she was displeased with your offering. I'm going to blame her for my not getting it. It's a good option, but it's just not grabbing me. If I didn't have a window on the case, I really wouldn't care.

It does seem Cryorig has expanded the mounting options for several of their coolers. They may not have their fans available, but I'll be good for at least 3 years. If I have to move it to another system, it'll probably be an AMD Ryzen system, and I can get a kit for the C7.

I have this tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut that's been working really well in my laptop when I replaced its fan about a year or so ago. I was planning on using it for this application, too.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am

That's odd that the C7 is $10 more than the M9i. The C7 would have nowhere near the cooling capability that the M9i has, and quite frankly the C7 is just plain less material. SFF tax I suppose.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 am

If looks matter in a top-down setup than the classic Zalman flower coolers are hard to beat, I believe the CNPS8900 is the copper one, but they also do aluminium models if you'd rather have silver.

Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of sculptural coolers around these days. Nofan's passive coolers are worth a look, although I'm not sure if the CR-95 would fit. Maybe a Corsair H5 or Thermaltake Engine 27.

Hinton
Gerbil

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:38 am

titan wrote:
cheesyking wrote:
titan wrote:

Yup. I even watched a couple videos to make sure. The knobs are in the proper position.

Its not mounted properly, you **** it up somehow. Likely destroying one of the pins, which isn't hard to do if you're not familiar with the mounting mechanism.

Why is your hand bumping into your cooler?

edit:

For reference. I have a properly mounted cooler, with the exact same mounting mechanism. I could lift my whole case by simply holding the cooler.

Properly mounted, its stuck. What I think you did is to not align the pins up properly, and then forced them in. You're supposed to be able to insert them using zero force, anything else, and you're **** up the pins. I'm 100% sure you **** your cooler pins up.

edit2: I have the Coolermaster TX3i, which is probably the ultimate you can get with pushpins, if you're to lazy to dismount your motherboard.

The C4 suggested looks awesome. You can also, as I have done with my TX3i, add an additional fan on the opposite side, for a push/pull configuration.

The only downside with this type of cooler, compared to the circular Intel stock type, is that you lose airflow over VRMs. So be aware of that if you get some i7 system that you plan to OC.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am

DPete27 wrote:
That's odd that the C7 is $10 more than the M9i. The C7 would have nowhere near the cooling capability that the M9i has, and quite frankly the C7 is just plain less material. SFF tax I suppose.

I know, right?!

EndlessWaves wrote:
If looks matter in a top-down setup than the classic Zalman flower coolers are hard to beat, I believe the CNPS8900 is the copper one, but they also do aluminium models if you'd rather have silver.

Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of sculptural coolers around these days. Nofan's passive coolers are worth a look, although I'm not sure if the CR-95 would fit. Maybe a Corsair H5 or Thermaltake Engine 27.

I had one of those Zalmans with my old Athlon XP machine. It was nice.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:37 pm

After sleeping on it, I've gone ahead and ordered the Cryorig C7.

I liked it more this morning than I did yesterday.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You made it really difficult to pick just one. I know the C7 wasn't pitched originally, but I never would have found it if another Cryorig hadn't been suggested.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Noctua will cost a bit more than other brands but they have the bonus of sending you free socket adapters for the lifetime of your cooler.

I'm on a Noctua NH-U12 from about a decade ago and It has been through two free socket upgrade kits so far.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.