Personal computing discussed

Moderator: Starfalcon

 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Okay, the subject makes it simple. I had a budget for my new pc and I decided to go commando with the graphics. I bought a MSI Gaming RX 480 8GB, being the first part to buy, I was using it with an old A4 APU from AMD. Then I bought the cpu, a FX 8320 @3.5Ghz. and last, some days ago a MSI 970 Gaming mobo. to make it shorter, I wanna undervolt my FX because it gets too hot, even it shutted down itself a couple of times after getting to 80 degrees Celsius. The catch is that I wanna, at least conserve the 3.5ghz or if I can, go for the 4.0ghz or beyond, but get the cpu less hotter. Right now I'm using PSCheck to change the Ghz's, but I don't know how to edit the voltage to keep it with the same ghz's.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49719
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Putting aside the burning (ha!) issue of why anyone would buy an FX-8320 and AM3+ motherboard today, you've got serious issues with your cooling. An inexpensive Coolermaster Hyper TX3 tower cooler was able to keep my FX-8320 (at stock voltage) below 60C with all cores maxed out 24x7 (Folding@home); if you're hitting 80C (what are you running when this happens?) something ain't right.

Your first order of business is to solve your cooling problem.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Okay, JBI already said it, so I'll ask... when did you buy this CPU and motherboard and are you still able to return them? You could exchange them for almost ANYTHING from the past few years and have a better system for gaming (and nearly anything else). A Pentium G4600 and a cheap motherboard would perform significantly better, use a fraction of the power and never get even remotely hot.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!
 
Veerappan
Gerbil
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:06 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm

I have to agree with JBI, there's something wrong with your heatsink/fan/thermal-paste. That CPU should not be getting that hot if your cooling system is working correctly (and isn't undersized for the CPU you've got installed).
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Burning, ha! That's a short term, over here we call it a FX oven... ba dum tss. Okay, yes i need better cooling. I'm using right now the stock heatsink and fan of my old APU since the FX 8320 came only with heatsink (I bought it used from a friend who lost the fan...) and I didn't use thermal paste since I don't have (already ordered a cooler master TP, will arrive soon) other than that my case is a Corsair Carbide spec 01, it has 1 fan in the front, I bought a 140mm thermaltake fan and installed in the rear. It has a 80mm one above. The temps rise while gaming (mostly what I use my pc for)
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Nightwinter wrote:
Burning, ha! That's a short term, over here we call it a FX oven... ba dum tss. Okay, yes i need better cooling. I'm using right now the stock heatsink and fan of my old APU since the FX 8320 came only with heatsink (I bought it used from a friend who lost the fan...) and I didn't use thermal paste since I don't have (already ordered a cooler master TP, will arrive soon) other than that my case is a Corsair Carbide spec 01, it has 1 fan in the front, I bought a 140mm thermaltake fan and installed in the rear. It has a 80mm one above. The temps rise while gaming (mostly what I use my pc for)

Holy cow, you're running a 125 watt FX processor with an undersized heatsink and no thermal paste?

Turn it off now and don't turn it on again until you have the thermal paste and a proper heat sink.

Or better yet, sell it to someone else and get a more reasonable CPU. Seriously, this is scary. :o
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:36 pm

ozzuneoj wrote:
Nightwinter wrote:
Burning, ha! That's a short term, over here we call it a FX oven... ba dum tss. Okay, yes i need better cooling. I'm using right now the stock heatsink and fan of my old APU since the FX 8320 came only with heatsink (I bought it used from a friend who lost the fan...) and I didn't use thermal paste since I don't have (already ordered a cooler master TP, will arrive soon) other than that my case is a Corsair Carbide spec 01, it has 1 fan in the front, I bought a 140mm thermaltake fan and installed in the rear. It has a 80mm one above. The temps rise while gaming (mostly what I use my pc for)

Holy cow, you're running a 125 watt FX processor with an undersized heatsink and no thermal paste?

Turn it off now and don't turn it on again until you have the thermal paste and a proper heat sink.

Or better yet, sell it to someone else and get a more reasonable CPU. Seriously, this is scary. :o


Hahaha yeah, ikr. But that's all I got for now. Actually I reduced the temp (and voltage) and now run smootly and more cooler (50°) while gaming. 27° while idle when I undervolt it more.
 
ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Nightwinter wrote:
ozzuneoj wrote:
Nightwinter wrote:
Burning, ha! That's a short term, over here we call it a FX oven... ba dum tss. Okay, yes i need better cooling. I'm using right now the stock heatsink and fan of my old APU since the FX 8320 came only with heatsink (I bought it used from a friend who lost the fan...) and I didn't use thermal paste since I don't have (already ordered a cooler master TP, will arrive soon) other than that my case is a Corsair Carbide spec 01, it has 1 fan in the front, I bought a 140mm thermaltake fan and installed in the rear. It has a 80mm one above. The temps rise while gaming (mostly what I use my pc for)

Holy cow, you're running a 125 watt FX processor with an undersized heatsink and no thermal paste?

Turn it off now and don't turn it on again until you have the thermal paste and a proper heat sink.

Or better yet, sell it to someone else and get a more reasonable CPU. Seriously, this is scary. :o


Hahaha yeah, ikr. But that's all I got for now. Actually I reduced the temp (and voltage) and now run smootly and more cooler (50°) while gaming. 27° while idle when I undervolt it more.

Have fun with that.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.5Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - EVGA GTX 1050 Ti
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!
 
DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3185
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 pm

No, seriously, you should turn it off until you get some thermal paste. You have a decent chance of ruining that CPU if you keep using it like that.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49719
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:44 pm

OK, if you bought it used that's another story. Still hope you didn't pay too much for the motherboard. But seriously, what they said... at least get some thermal paste on that thing!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:48 pm

ozzuneoj wrote:
Holy cow, you're running a 125 watt FX processor with an undersized heatsink and no thermal paste?

He could try any one of these as a alternative to no TIM.

1. Dielectric Silicone: 22, 34
2. Liquid Gel Deodorant: 23, 34
3. Crest Toothpaste: 22, 35
4. X-Balm Chapstic: 23, 35
5. Antiseptic Gel: 25, 36 (cools about as well as stock TIM)
6. High Temp Grease: 23, 38
7. Hair Molding Clay: 25, 38
8. Aluminum Foil: 25, 38
9. Raspberry Preserves: 25, 40+
10. Anti Seize Lubricant: 26, 42
11. No TIM: 27, 45
12. Creamy Peanut Butter: 27, 53
https://superuser.com/questions/279937/ ... mal-grease
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could... Speed run Super Mario Bros (NES) 26,800 times.
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Yeah, okey, I will turn it off. And what's wrong with the mobo? 100$ cost me. Actually I bought it cheap, since I'm living in Venezuela. Also, nobody had helped me with the main subject hahahaha
 
biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1937
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:53 pm
Location: Anchorage, Alaska

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Nightwinter wrote:
Okay, the subject makes it simple. I had a budget for my new pc and I decided to go commando with the graphics. I bought a MSI Gaming RX 480 8GB, being the first part to buy, I was using it with an old A4 APU from AMD. Then I bought the cpu, a FX 8320 @3.5Ghz. and last, some days ago a MSI 970 Gaming mobo. to make it shorter, I wanna undervolt my FX because it gets too hot, even it shutted down itself a couple of times after getting to 80 degrees Celsius. The catch is that I wanna, at least conserve the 3.5ghz or if I can, go for the 4.0ghz or beyond, but get the cpu less hotter. Right now I'm using PSCheck to change the Ghz's, but I don't know how to edit the voltage to keep it with the same ghz's.

Your definitely not getting that FX 8320 to 4 GHz without any thermal compound between the heat spreader, and heatsink. As far as the under voltage at 3.5 GHz the only way your going to retain the setting is if you go into the mainboard BIOS, under CPU settings or overclocking and edit the the VID/voltage. You might be better off transplanting the fan from the OEM APU cooler to the OEM FX cooler.
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could... Speed run Super Mario Bros (NES) 26,800 times.
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:03 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Nightwinter wrote:
Okay, the subject makes it simple. I had a budget for my new pc and I decided to go commando with the graphics. I bought a MSI Gaming RX 480 8GB, being the first part to buy, I was using it with an old A4 APU from AMD. Then I bought the cpu, a FX 8320 @3.5Ghz. and last, some days ago a MSI 970 Gaming mobo. to make it shorter, I wanna undervolt my FX because it gets too hot, even it shutted down itself a couple of times after getting to 80 degrees Celsius. The catch is that I wanna, at least conserve the 3.5ghz or if I can, go for the 4.0ghz or beyond, but get the cpu less hotter. Right now I'm using PSCheck to change the Ghz's, but I don't know how to edit the voltage to keep it with the same ghz's.

Your definitely not getting that FX 8320 to 4 GHz without any thermal compound between the heat spreader, and heatsink. As far as the under voltage at 3.5 GHz the only way your going to retain the setting is if you go into the mainboard BIOS, under CPU settings or overclocking and edit the the VID/voltage. You might be better off transplanting the fan from the OEM APU cooler to the OEM FX cooler.

Yes, I'm aware of that, I need the Thermal compound. I will need some exact guidance with the BIOS, since it's not that easy to edit the VID. And I can't transplant the APU fan into the FX heatsink because it needs a special mounting/base, it does not fit in it.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Okay. We've established the need for TIM (at the very least)

I prefer to do my frequency/voltage adjustments in the BIOS instead of in software. In the MSI BIOS, there is a tab labeled "OC". That's where you can adjust CPU voltage. You'll have to adjust&test various settings until you find the minimum voltage that the CPU will run stable at the desired frequency. Once you find that point, it's generally best to up the voltage just a touch to make sure you don't have any problems with vdroop. Googling FX8320 undervolt can help your process by providing you with results others have found. Sounds like 3.5GHz at 1.2-1.25V is a good first step.
Last edited by DPete27 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Posts: 26471
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

DPete27 wrote:
You'll have to adjust&test various settings until you find the minimum frequency that the CPU will run stable at the desired frequency.

Should the first "frequency" actually be "voltage"?
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm

fixed. thanks.

BTW. Testing is typically done by running Prime95. You can view your CPU voltage/frequency using CPUz.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2354
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:53 pm

DPete27 wrote:
fixed. thanks.

BTW. Testing is typically done by running Prime95. You can view your CPU voltage/frequency using CPUz.


Another program to use is hwinfo
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Okay. We've established the need for TIM (at the very least)

I prefer to do my frequency/voltage adjustments in the BIOS instead of in software. In the MSI BIOS, there is a tab labeled "OC". That's where you can adjust CPU voltage. You'll have to adjust&test various settings until you find the minimum voltage that the CPU will run stable at the desired frequency. Once you find that point, it's generally best to up the voltage just a touch to make sure you don't have any problems with vdroop. Googling FX8320 undervolt can help your process by providing you with results others have found. Sounds like 3.5GHz at 1.2-1.25V is a good first step.


Yes, I know that part, it's just that editing the Voltage in BIOS comes with prefixed numbers ( -00320 for example). And I have searched for tutorials and the best one I've seen is one about pstates and editing the with AmdMsrTweaker and then using PSCheck. And I'm using that one, with the defaults PStates of my CPU, to underclock (or undervolt) my CPU when I game or browse the web and so far is excellent, but I want to reach even lower temps but this time with higher frequencies.
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 pm

DPete27 wrote:
fixed. thanks.

BTW. Testing is typically done by running Prime95. You can view your CPU voltage/frequency using CPUz.


I know that, thanks.

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
fixed. thanks.

BTW. Testing is typically done by running Prime95. You can view your CPU voltage/frequency using CPUz.


Another program to use is hwinfo


Using that already to watch sometimes every stat.
 
DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 am

Sounds like you're describing voltage offsets. Essentially that tells the mobo to subtract ___ voltage from each default pstate value.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 pm

I got some good news!! (at leats for me) Yesterday I got the Thermal Paste, a Cooler Master. I applied it to my CPU and I got like 40% cooler temps than 3 days ago. And I now am using this PStates: P6=8@0.8 P5=10@0.9 P4=12.5@1.0 P3=15@1.1 P2=17.5@1.125

I don't plan on using Turbo until I have a better CPU Fan. So far so good with those volts and frequencies!! :D
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 49719
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes, thermal paste is rather important. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yes, thermal paste is rather important. :wink:


Yes, I know, it's just that I didn't have any xD Now, anyone knows of a better string than the one I'm currently using? (P6=8@0.8 P5=10@0.9 P4=12.5@1.0 P3=15@1.1 P2=17.5@1.125)
 
Nightwinter
Gerbil
Topic Author
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Help to Undervolt FX 8320

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 pm

I managed to go even lower with this string on AmdMsrTweaker: P6=9.5@0.8 P5=11.5@0.9 P4=13.5@0.950 P3=15.5@1.0 P2=17.5@1.125

This is good or anyone have anything with lower V and gigher GHZ?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest