Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Can solder under IHS "go bad"? should I delid?

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Takeshi7 wrote:
I just want to give an update on this. My friend helped me delid the CPU with his hot air workstation. Once it was delidded we added a bit more solder and used a soldering iron to make sure the solder was nicely spread on both the CPU dies and the IHS. ( the IHS was harder because it has much more thermal mass) Then we relidded it and I put it in my PC. It now runs much cooler, Even under full load it is cooler than its old idle temp. Old idle temp was around 60C, load would go above 90C, After delidding/fixing solder, the new temp under load is 48ish (idle in the low 30s now). I will update this comment with a link to the Youtube video once I have it.

tl;dr: Yes the solder under the IHS can go bad, and it is possible to fix by delidding.

Never before has such an obsolete CPU owed so much to so few.

Glad it worked!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 pm

chuckula wrote:

Kinda makes me want to dig my old dual Socket A motherboard and Athlon MP chips out of the crawlspace and fire it up for old times' sake.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Kinda makes me want to dig my old dual Socket A motherboard and Athlon MP chips out of the crawlspace and fire it up for old times' sake.

Be aware that they're no longer supported in Win7 due to a lack of SSE2 :wink:

In the same vein, I recently acquired a Pentium-166 with a 430HX chipset, along with onboard graphics and sound (not all that common until a few years later). I picked up a cheap Compactflash->IDE adapter, loaded Win98SE from a disc I still had, and then quickly lost interest. :roll:

This came about when my boss brought in every PC from his basement to have me destroy the hard drives. He was supposed to have a 386DX system in the mix (which was where my real interest lay), but apparently it had already been tossed.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

Win2K would be a more accurate trip down memory lane for me anyway, since that's what it ran back in the day. I'd be more likely to load a 32-bit Linux distro on it if I was actually going to try booting it up today.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:37 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
chuckula wrote:

In the same vein, I recently acquired a Pentium-166 with a 430HX chipset, along with onboard graphics and sound (not all that common until a few years later). I picked up a cheap Compactflash->IDE adapter, loaded Win98SE from a disc I still had, and then quickly lost interest. :roll:

This came about when my boss brought in every PC from his basement to have me destroy the hard drives. He was supposed to have a 386DX system in the mix (which was where my real interest lay), but apparently it had already been tossed.

When I worked at the computer shop in the early '00s one day someone brought in a new-in-box 286 computer; it had never been opened and that thing was *cherry*, but he just wanted rid of it. Boss offered it to me and all these years later I regret a little that I declined.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 am

The Egg wrote:

I'm waiting for PhilsComputerLab (from YouTube) to come with a VIA mini PC that supports two expansion PCI cards so I can finally get a 386-486-Pentium retro PC.

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:07 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
I'm waiting for PhilsComputerLab (from YouTube) to come with a VIA mini PC that supports two expansion PCI cards so I can finally get a 386-486-Pentium retro PC.

I have one. Look for a PCChips M789CG motherboard. It's a VIA C3 motherboard with 2 PCI slots.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm

How are the volts? My brother's CPU was having a hard time keeping cool and I found the "Auto" setting for the Gigabyte board he has was volting the stock clocked CPU a solid 1.48v. Dropped it to 1.10v and the temps now don't even scratch 65c.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

The Egg

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:56 pm

bthylafh wrote:
When I worked at the computer shop in the early '00s one day someone brought in a new-in-box 286 computer; it had never been opened and that thing was *cherry*, but he just wanted rid of it. Boss offered it to me and all these years later I regret a little that I declined.

Ugh. I would've taken that in a second, even in the early 00's.

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

ClickClick5 wrote:
How are the volts? My brother's CPU was having a hard time keeping cool and I found the "Auto" setting for the Gigabyte board he has was volting the stock clocked CPU a solid 1.48v. Dropped it to 1.10v and the temps now don't even scratch 65c.

Stock on the auto setting it was about 1.22V @ 3.73GHz. Now I have it OC'd to 4.53 GHz at 1.31V with load line calibration enabled. Under load it goes up to about 1.35V.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Takeshi7 wrote:
qmacpoint wrote:

I have one. Look for a PCChips M789CG motherboard. It's a VIA C3 motherboard with 2 PCI slots.

Careful. PCChips has a well-deserved reputation for being garbage.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:09 pm

The Egg wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Ugh. I would've taken that in a second, even in the early 00's.

I thought about it, but couldn't see what I would do with a 286 that'd justify the space. :-?
Hakkaa päälle!

Takeshi7
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:18 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Takeshi7 wrote:
qmacpoint wrote:

Careful. PCChips has a well-deserved reputation for being garbage.

I'm not worried about it. It's been rock solid for 13 years now. Lots of newer software won't run on it because the VIA C3 doesn't support SSE, but the software that does run on it will run forever without any problems.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Win2K would be a more accurate trip down memory lane for me anyway, since that's what it ran back in the day. I'd be more likely to load a 32-bit Linux distro on it if I was actually going to try booting it up today.
Not to mention you need that brutish PSU. I only have the one PC Power and Cooling PSU that can boot a dual socket A board. All my other 40A @ 3.3V PSU's have died.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Not to mention you need that brutish PSU. I only have the one PC Power and Cooling PSU that can boot a dual socket A board. All my other 40A @ 3.3V PSU's have died.

Mine was one of the later ones, and has a 4-pin Molex to supply additional juice to the CPUs from the +12 rail. But there were stories of the Molex overheating and melting (I never had that issue, fortunately).