Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thermal paste (grease, TIM, whatever...) recs

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:34 pm

As a continuation of the non-story of my no-POSTing motherboard, now I've managed to run out of all my good pastes - the bundled paste with the new cooler, and my old NT-H1 (apparently dried out or used up). At the moment, I'm now winging it with a very cheap, white CM MasterGel (not Pro, not Maker) that I bought as a stop-gap solution. Being dirt cheap and not needing shipping does have its advantages, after all...

Judging from the reviews of its closest relative, CM IC Value V1, this paste appears to perform near the bottom-levels, though, probably befitting its abysmal thermal conductivity of 1.85W/mK. I'm still managing to cut down temps from my previous H60 setup by around 8-10 degrees Celsius, but now I'm left wondering if there's even more headroom - considering the temperature delta of 2.74 (delta between copper plates) and 3.5 (Tcase delta on actual processor), I'm suspecting I'm being limited by the paste.

Since now I'm basically starting from nothing anyway, what's the current best "normal" TIM? I've heard very good things about Thermal Grizzly and their Kryonaut.
Last edited by Noinoi on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Thermal paste (grease, TIM, whatever...) recs

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:37 pm

I still have a gargantuan tube of Arctic Cooling MX-2. It's simple, cheap, lasts forever, and works well enough I don't care. The last few degrees aren't worth the extra IMO.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Waco wrote:
I still have a gargantuan tube of Arctic Cooling MX-2. It's simple, cheap, lasts forever, and works well enough I don't care. The last few degrees aren't worth the extra IMO.

Aye. I've also been recommended the MX-2 and MX-4 from quite a few other friendly hardware Discord chats as a possible "good enough" alternative. I'm assuming it's still noticeably better than the cheap white stuff I'm using right now?
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

juzz86
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 pm

Two loop cleans ago I also ran out of TIM towards the end and ended up using no-name eBay white grease I bought in bulk (30g) under the CPU block. Used it for about nine months.

Last re-do I swapped in Gelid Xtreme grease ($$) - for all of 2C.

This time I used my usual ShinEtsu X23 ($), for the same results - there's a tangible difference in stated thermal conductivity, so I'm assuming there's a marketing factor on the Gelid stuff.

Granted I had all these pastes and a few more 'in-betweeners' laying around so I didn't spend much this time in particular - but the take away message is that Waco is correct. I'll stick with low-tier grease in future. It's fine, and the Degree or two you gain really aren't worth the money. I bought a whole stack of the eBay stuff to see how it goes, and I've settled on HY710 because it works and it spreads nicely.

Go to eBay mate, grab 30g of HY710 for seven bucks (!) - grab HY610 if you wanna be gold and fancy. It's perfectly serviceable and will last you a lifetime.
7700K, 32GB, 1080Ti - Suppressor F1

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:33 am

Noinoi wrote:
Waco wrote:

Aye. I've also been recommended the MX-2 and MX-4 from quite a few other friendly hardware Discord chats as a possible "good enough" alternative. I'm assuming it's still noticeably better than the cheap white stuff I'm using right now?

I'm using MX-4 on a delidded 8700K with a H100i and getting 56C in Prime95 12xsmallFFTs at 4.6 GHz (no AVX offset), so it's definitely "good enough".
Wind, Sand and Stars.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:57 am

Back in the day I used Arctic Silver. Lately I've just been using the stuff that came with the last few Cooler Master HSFs I bought; each tube is enough for several applications so I haven't needed to buy thermal compound in several years.

I suppose if I was still OCing I'd pay more attention to getting a top-rated thermal compound; but since I generally run everything at stock and use aftermarket HSFs with larger fans (to cut down on the noise), the thermal compound is non-critical.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 am

https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Grizzly- ... B011F7W3LU - I won't use anything else until someone gives me a really good reason to. I don't really care to use the liquid metal stuff. I don't REALLY need it, or the hassle.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/th ... 108-8.html - check the other pages for other coolers/mounting pressures.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:39 am

I like that the better pastes seem to be including a spreading tool now. Probably costs them all of 10 cents, and -- assuming I ever run out of the little leftover tubes of paste I've been using and order more -- will save me hunting for a suitable spreading implement (or relying on the "just put a small blob on, squish it down, and cross your fingers" approach).

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Is Arctic Silver no longer the thermal paste king? I still have a tube of it from years ago and use it when I do a build.
I wish I had gone to med school.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm

The Swamp wrote:
Is Arctic Silver no longer the thermal paste king? I still have a tube of it from years ago and use it when I do a build.

Once you get past the generic stuff the differences are generally pretty small unless you get into exotics like liquid metal. Nothin' wrong with AS unless you're trying to set OC records.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm

The Swamp wrote:

It hasn't been the "king" for years, but that doesn't mean it's not sufficient for the vast, vast majority of builders.

https://img.purch.com/image004-png/o/aH ... A0LnBuZw==
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm

The differences once you get past the basic white grease are pretty minimal until you get into exotics like JBI said. I have some liquid metal around for delids, but I stick to regular pastes for waterblocks/heatsinks. You only need to kill one board with AS5 (or similar conductive pastes) to really appreciate nonconductive pastes that work 95% as well. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:46 pm

Waco wrote:
The differences once you get past the basic white grease are pretty minimal until you get into exotics like JBI said. I have some liquid metal around for delids, but I stick to regular pastes for waterblocks/heatsinks. You only need to kill one board with AS5 (or similar conductive pastes) to really appreciate nonconductive pastes that work 95% as well. :P

This is all definitely true, I just figure "why not get something near the tip top if I'm going to buy something anyway?" generally. A tube of Kyronaut is only ~10 bucks, and it lasts me multiple CPUs. I don't change the paste a lot, or delid, or change CPUs that often so it lasts me literally years. It's just nice to know I've got more or less the best goop on there I can have without going through the hassle of LM.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:04 pm

DancinJack wrote:
This is all definitely true, I just figure "why not get something near the tip top if I'm going to buy something anyway?" generally. A tube of Kyronaut is only ~10 bucks, and it lasts me multiple CPUs. I don't change the paste a lot, or delid, or change CPUs that often so it lasts me literally years. It's just nice to know I've got more or less the best goop on there I can have without going through the hassle of LM.

Yeah, there's something to be said for that approach. It's a small enough piece of the overall cost of a system that there's a pretty good argument for spending a few bucks more and getting the "good stuff". Or you can just be lazy and use what you've got knocking around in your parts collection like The Swamp and I have apparently both been doing... :lol:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:12 pm

haha for sure, i've done it before. Once I built a whole new system though, and used an AIO which didn't come with goop, I bought the good stuff and it just grew from there. I THIIIIIIIIIINK i'm still on my first tube.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm

When I was going through all my old stuff, I found several old tubes. Looks like I have actic silver 2 and 3, some arctic alumina, along with some arctic silver and alumina epoxy. I'm sure most of the tubes are dried out by now, edging close to 25 years old on some of them.