Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Need some advice on CPU air cooler

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:40 pm

I am looking to build a new system I have most of the parts picked out except for the CPU and a air cooler for it. Each of the CPU's on my list has a down side it seems. i9-9900k is pricey, i7-9700k no hyper threading, i7-8700k two less cores and threads compared to the 9900k. Then there is the i5-9600k that seems to have problems with some games and hanging up while rendering. Yes, the R7 2700X is on the list. But Intel still has the edge when it comes to gaming which is my primary use. However the 2700X would be nice for my secondary hobby of distributed computing projects since its as good if not better at compute jobs. At this point I am wavering on going big with the 9900k or saving a bit and just settle for the 2700x. Both of which will need a good air cooler to get the most out of them. Yes the 2700x comes with a cooler its a bit loud running full out. Rather just skip it and get something better. I prefer air over water cooling since air avoids two additional point sources of possible failure, leaks and the pump motor.

My current i5-3570k has a Coolermaster GeminII on it. While I like this type of cooler I don't think its up to the job if you OC beyond a mild setting. So I was looking to jump ship and pick up something from Noctua. While I like the NH C14S, since its similar to the GeminII, I am still concerned its not up to the job of more than a mild OC. On the other hand my second choice is the monster NH D15. Thing is huge but looking at the numbers it will fit in the the case I chose, the Define R6.

So, does any one think the NH C14S is up to the job or should I just go with the NH D15 monster? Or is there a better choice from a different manufacturer?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Need some advice on CPU air cooler

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm

C14S will be fine. Here is "low" fan speed @ 150W. Though I'm not really sure why you're limiting yourself unless your case CAN fit a C14S, but can't fit a D15. I'd rather have the D15 as long as your case can accommodate the size.

Also, IMO, just get the 9700K. (edited this post for some formatting)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm

The 9700K is the best Intel choice, IMO.

Intel's hyperthreading was never really that great, and it's been hurt badly by all the spectre and meltdown patches as well. On top of that, hyperthreading sees only very small gains (single-digit percentile) in gaming, and the eight non-HT cores of the 9700K are plenty for current titles, probably all future titles until a new generation of consoles launch and become established.

As for coolers, you can't really go wrong with anything from Noctua (high-quality, high-price, first-class support for future socket upgrades) and I think Cryorig are a good middle-ground with mounting mechanisms I trust and a good quality/cost ratio. With the 9700K for example I'd go for an Noctua NH-U12S or Cryorig C7 variant for normal use, it'll handle a decent overclock but you will pay in fan noise for significant voltage increases should you be pushing it or running a lot of AVX workloads. As for a meatier overclock, the U14S or C5 variants will offer more headroom and lower noise levels but you pay more for the privilege and it's more mass to hang off your CPU socket.

The Ryzen 7 2700X is also a beast of a chip, but if you're a gamer I'd stick to Intel or wait to see what the new 3000-series coming out this summer looks like.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Alain Bariot
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 am

I don't have better idea on air cooler. But as a newbie I would like to learn.