Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Spec05 pressure setup

Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 pm

So I always get confused with what 'pressure' I want in my case so maybe some guidance would be good

I recently got a Corsair Carbide Spec-05 - it's very similar in layout and setup, and cooling issues to the Spec 04 TR reviewed here:
https://techreport.com/review/32751/cor ... -reviewed/

Case only comes equipped with one intake fan and no exhaust - I have a 2600X in there I wouldn't mind overclocking a bit on the stock (wraith spire) cooler to start - so initially would an exhaust fan probably help most of the problems to get a couple hundred mhz out of it?

I will be adding an AIO cooler once it fits my budget ( a big tower doesn't fit in the case well, what with its max tower height of 150mm) - I figure I'll push that out the rear for ease of access - so i'd have the AIO and top fan (and PSU) exhaling with the one input fan - any pressure considerations I need to think of there?
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Spec05 pressure setup

Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

You generally want more air being pushed in than what's being sucked out. That will ensure dust is being sucked through dust filters, and that any open holes (ie top) have air flowing out of them so that dust doesn't enter there.

Each fan on an AIO counts as 50% of it's rated CFM (at best) since there's so much resistance. Yes, even if the fan is high static pressure (which it should be). Push+Pull on an AIO doesn't = 100% airflow.

For your situation, I'd put 2x140mm fans in the front. The AIO in the rear. And a 120mm exhaust in the top.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 pm

Does it have dust filters, and are you planning on using the 3.5" drive cage?

On the assumption that it doesn't have dust filters, and that the front panel's intake is pretty restricted (looks like two slits on the side and one gash in the front) I would put at least two intakes into the front, three if you don't need the drive cage.

The AIO radiator and flipped PSU will be adequate exhaust, and you want a bit of positive pressure to push air across the PCI slots and graphics card via the ventilated slot covers.

I would even go as far as saying that you might want to block off any unused vents at the top/rear once you've installed your AIO radiator, since the primary source of heat will be the graphics card and you don't want unnecessary airflow exhausting out of the top of the case when it's preferable to have it moving past the GPU instead.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks a lot guys

I am using the drive bays (two mechanical discs) and have presently kept the stock cooler and have a 120mm exhaust fan popping out the top along with the stock intake fan.
Load temp is around 73C - prior to adding the exhaust fan they'd get as high as 87.

Current plan is
1: Add second intake fan to front of case - the intake pulls from grills at the side of the front panel, as well as kind of a 'scoop' shaped intake at the bottom and a very narrow line in the front (the red hues pictures of the case show are actually coming from the fan, there is a very narrow grill there) I'd like to maximize everything I can get out of that point of entry

2: Add AIO to back panel - i don't need to overclock any time soon but I want to eventually.

I figure that'll be slight positive pressure iwth 2 intake 1 output 1 aio even with the front a bit restricted.

the only dust filters in the case is at the bottom of the front panel and by the psu

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Quick update just in case someone with a SPEC case googles

With one intake and one top mounted exhaust (stock intake, exhaust a 120mm fan from an old Corsair 88R case) CPU load would sit at 72 before slowly climbing towards 80 as heatsoak kicked in over the next few minutes, never seeing higher than 80 but floating around there

I purchased two Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition fans, setting them as top exhaust and moving the old 88R to be a second front intake and initial load temp was down to 68 and only really climbed to 73 after 15 min of prime95. Make sense with both the Wraith Spire dumping heat sideways in the case and my GPU not really exhausting anything.