Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Bhoslebhai
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 08G Quiet mode or Perfomance mode ?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi , I just enabled Quiet mode on the graphics card's pcb via a switch . It stops the fans from spinning if the Gpu temperature is below 55 Degrees celsius. And Performance mode keeps the fans spinning at all times. When I set the gpu to Quiet mode , the idle temperature is 38 Degree celsius & when I set it to Performance mode the idle temperature is 36 degree celsius. So I guess setting the gpu to quiet mode will extend the life of the 3 fans on the GPU of myROG STRIX RTX 2080 08G. They are Axial fans with IP5X Dust certification. I am not sure if they are ball bearinfg or sleave bearing fans , I need info on this & whether setting the gpu to Quiet mode will extend the life of the fans the gpu comes with ?

My Rig : worth 3600 US dollars , Coolermaster H500P Case , ASUS ROG Strix Z390F , gSKILL tRIDENTZ RGB 16GB , Windows 10 Home licensed , Seagate Skyhawk 4tb & 8tb Hdds , Asus XONAR U3 ,ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080O8G , Cooler master Hyper 212 rED led , cORSAIR rmx 1000 w 80 PLUS Psu

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 08G Quiet mode or Perfomance mode ?

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Running the fans less will almost certainly extend their life. Does the GPU temp stay reasonable when you run a GPU-intensive application? If so, then I'd stick with Quiet mode.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bhoslebhai
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Running the fans less will almost certainly extend their life. Does the GPU temp stay reasonable when you run a GPU-intensive application? If so, then I'd stick with Quiet mode.

yes , UNDER 54 Degree celsius. But I still am not sure whether the fans on this particular gpu are ball bearing or sleave bearing ones ?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Bhoslebhai wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

yes , UNDER 54 Degree celsius. But I still am not sure whether the fans on this particular gpu are ball bearing or sleave bearing ones ?

It doesn't matter. If the card isn't throttling and temperatures are reasonable under all loads with Quiet mode enabled, there's no reason to change it.

While ball bearing fans are theoretically more durable than sleeve bearing, a quality sleeve bearing fan will last longer than a crappy ball bearing fan.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Bhoslebhai
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Bhoslebhai wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It doesn't matter. If the card isn't throttling and temperatures are reasonable under all loads with Quiet mode enabled, there's no reason to change it.

ok thanks Sir

Shane Haumpton
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Bhoslebhai wrote:
Hi , I just enabled Quiet mode on the graphics card's pcb via a switch . It stops the fans from spinning if the Gpu temperature is below 55 Degrees celsius. And Performance mode keeps the fans spinning at all times. When I set the gpu to Quiet mode , the idle temperature is 38 Degree celsius & when I set it to Performance mode the idle temperature is 36 degree celsius. So I guess setting the gpu to quiet mode will extend the life of the 3 fans on the GPU of myROG STRIX RTX 2080 08G. They are Axial fans with IP5X Dust certification. I am not sure if they are ball bearinfg or sleave bearing fans , I need info on this & whether setting the gpu to Quiet mode will extend the life of the fans the gpu comes with ?

My Rig : worth 3600 US dollars , Coolermaster H500P Case , ASUS ROG Strix Z390F , gSKILL tRIDENTZ RGB 16GB , Windows 10 Home licensed , Seagate Skyhawk 4tb & 8tb Hdds , Asus XONAR U3 ,ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080O8G , Cooler master Hyper 212 rED led , cORSAIR rmx 1000 w 80 PLUS Psu

The less heat the GPU produces the longer it's life. If there is no need to go into performance mode then just use quite mode. I'm also referring to all pc parts :)