Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

RyzenVoltage sticking at 1.0999. found the setting...

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 am

3950x, turned off the "cpu performace boost" and got rid of the 1.5v and 90C temps and other changes...etc.
Oh, yes...Gigabyte x370 motherboard.

Ended up with the boot W10 desktop voltage being stuck at 1.0999 volts. Desktop ok, bench tests crash.
And had to use Ryzen Master to "reset", which reported "Cpu parameters reset to stock mode". (Wish I knew what that was!)
That allowed the cpu voltage to change as needed...all good now.

I finally set down and reset the Bios to defaults to find the setting that limited the voltage.
After a half dozen single changes and reboots I found that it is the cpu multiplier(40) that results in the cpu voltage sticking at 1.0999 volts.

The Ryzen Master reset results of "Cpu parameters reset to stock mode"...would love know what that change is and is it in the bios somewhere?
The "cpu reset to stock" does not have the extra cpu boosting or any other change I've been able to notice. Just that the voltages go up as needed.

EDIT... I did just notice that before I hit RM reset that the "home" listing shows 4Ghz but after I "reset" the "home" shows 4.7Ghz again.
BUT a test will only get you 4Ghz cpu max.

With CPUz HWI lists max cpu voltage at 1.296v...under 1.3 so I'm happy with that. And it idles at under 1.0volts.

I just have to run and reset Ryzen Master everytime I boot...Oh well.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: RyzenVoltage sticking at 1.0999. found the setting...

Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 pm

...why were you screwing with manual clock settings? With Zen 2 you're almost always better off just letting the boost algorithms do their thing; this is doubly true on very old boards.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:55 am

Waco wrote:
...why were you screwing with manual clock settings? With Zen 2 you're almost always better off just letting the boost algorithms do their thing; this is doubly true on very old boards.

1.5 volts and 90C is not acceptable.

Now I run 60s-83 ish C and 1.296 volts AND 4Ghz multicore is faster also.
Can do 4.2Ghz but then you are back to 90C...for 5%,No.

Now you are right... single core(4.7Ghz) is faster at stock settings. (if single core speed was of any importance at all)

thanks.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:19 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Waco wrote:

Sure, but that's due to a bad board setting.

After clearing that and setting defaults, were the clocks/temps/volts acceptable?

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:16 pm

I was just going to say the same. :lol:

1.5v on a 3950X is not a stock voltage, so your first attempt should be to turn off whatever you turned on to make that happen.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:04 am

Waco wrote:
jmc2 wrote:
Waco wrote:

Sure, but that's due to a bad board setting.
After clearing that and setting defaults, were the clocks/temps/volts acceptable?

No,no, 1.5v/90C is the "Default" results...due to AMD's built in bios "CPU Performance Boost"(XFR?).
That is where you get the 4.7Ghz single core speed(1.5V needed).
Run CPUz bench and you're looking at 1.5v/90sC @ Default settings.

Only after turning OFF the xfr "cpu performance Boost" in the bios do the temps/volts become acceptable.
I am only concerned with Multicore speed for video encoding.
The default is 3.5Ghz so setting 40x in the bios for 4Ghz is a very good gain over "Default Settings" with acceptable temps/volts.

Now there have been several hardware website reports on the effects the "1.5volts" and ("GamersNexus", Anandtech").
(As I remember it)...They all seem to say that yes you will lose lifespan on the cpu...so instead of getting 12 years lifespan you get maybe 8 or 9 years lifespan...at that point "who cares".

The most important bit is that...
"Default Setting" HIGH single core speeds With HIGH temps & HIGH volts...Unhappy.
"No XFR", Multicore@4Ghz(FASTER encodes), lower temps and lower volts(under1.3v)...Happy!

thanks.
Last edited by jmc2 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 am

Redocbew wrote:

1.5v on a 3950X is not a stock voltage, so your first attempt should be to turn off whatever you turned on to make that happen.

Well, XFR "Cpu Performance Boost" is on by default in the Bios...
So if XFR single core boost is in effect_4.7Ghz (CPUz bench) you are going to get 1.5 volts delivered to the cpu as a "stock setting".

Now at idle...no, probably under 1.0 volts, well under.

thanks.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:32 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Well, XFR "Cpu Performance Boost" is on by default in the Bios...
So if XFR single core boost is in effect_4.7Ghz (CPUz bench) you are going to get 1.5 volts delivered to the cpu as a "stock setting".

Now at idle...no, probably under 1.0 volts, well under.

thanks.

Your BIOS/board sucks, then. XFR and PBO should be *disabled* by default, and require the user to specifically enable them on any board worth the pennies spent on it.

To be clear - my X570 board required me to confirm *twice* to enable both XFR and PBO. My load voltages are nowhere near yours on a 3900X and I do see 4.6 GHz occasionally on single-core workloads.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 am

Waco wrote:
jmc2 wrote:
Redocbew wrote:

Well, XFR "Core Performance Boost" is on by default in the Bios...
Now at idle...no, probably under 1.0 volts, well under.thanks.

Your BIOS/board sucks, then. XFR and PBO should be *disabled* by default, and require the user to specifically enable them on any board worth the pennies spent on it.
To be clear - my X570 board required me to confirm *twice* to enable both XFR and PBO. My load voltages are nowhere near yours on a 3900X and I do see 4.6 GHz occasionally on single-core workloads.

I may be "off" on my terms. In my Bios there is (Default-on) a "Core Performance Boost" which does enable/disable the single core speed boost to 4.7Ghz and the 1.5 volts output that occurs at that time.
I'm probably incorrect in my use of the term XFR. Was thinking that XFR, WAS the "single core speed boost(4.7Ghz) not something above and beyond. PBO is off in my Bios
Don't believe that I've ever touched either one so don't know what happens if I were to try them.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:14 am

I've occasionally seen boards come with non-default settings out of the box. Did you explicitly do a "reset to defaults" (or clear the CMOS) when you initially set the board up?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:57 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Waco wrote:
jmc2 wrote:

Well, XFR "Core Performance Boost" is on by default in the Bios...
Now at idle...no, probably under 1.0 volts, well under.thanks.

I may be "off" on my terms. In my Bios there is (Default-on) a "Core Performance Boost" which does enable/disable the single core speed boost to 4.7Ghz and the 1.5 volts output that occurs at that time.
I'm probably incorrect in my use of the term XFR. Was thinking that XFR, WAS the "single core speed boost(4.7Ghz) not something above and beyond. PBO is off in my Bios
Don't believe that I've ever touched either one so don't know what happens if I were to try them.

It sounds like your BIOS doesn't really support your chip properly, to be honest. You should get close to 4.7 GHz single core *at default settings* without any additional boosting / voltage / etc.