Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Starfalcon

Q-Frost
Gerbil
Topic Author

Socket 370 Celeron OC'ing

Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:32 am

Hello Guys, This Being My First Post Here I'd Like To Say "Greetings" To You All And I Hope You Can Help Me Out...

I Currently Have a Celeron 1.3GHz Processor With The Stock Fan And Some Arctic Silver 3 Running On A ASUS TUV4X Board.. Now, I Know The CPU Is Clock Locked But The FSB Is Adjustable...And I've Read About People Jacking These Chips Up To 1.5GHz+ With The Stock Cooler Because They Run So Cool. My Problem Is Every Time I Adjust My FSB Up Even As Little As 5Mhz, The System Won't Post After Rebooting...I've Tried Adjusting The Core Voltage And No Luck, Is There Something I'm Overlooked? Does My Board Just Not Let You Overclock?

And I Now Know I Should Clean Off My CPU & HSF, Lap The Heatsink, And Reassemble Whole Thing To Try To Get The Temperature Down..But I Don't Think Thats The Problem Seeing As It Runs At Like 22c At Full Load..

I Live To Game, I Game To Live!
~Q-Frost

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:01 am

You may just have a bum CPU. Some don't like OCing.

Your ram may not be able to handle even a small increase, too, but that's much less likely.

And 'ow' with the colors.

Q-Frost
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:33 pm

Well, I Took My Computer Apart This Morning, Took Off All The Headtsinks (CPU, Video, Chipset) Throughly Clean Off All The Old Paste, Sanded & Buffed The Bottom OF The Heatsinks Like SOBs (They Shine Now) And Reapplyed Everything With A Thin Layer Of Arctic Silver 3, Threw a Couple Of Case Fans In There, Put Her Back Together, Booted Her Up, Tried 105MHz, Then 110, Then 115, ect...Here I Come To Find Out My Chip Works Steadly At Something Like 1.73GHz And Only Runs About 40c That Way....odd how before it wouldn't even OC 1MHz Over...
And My Card Runs At 280/375 Instead Of The Standard 200/333 Which Is Better Then The 242/359 i was getting out of it...man...all the difference a little AC3 And A Smooth Ass Heatsink Will Do...wow...

And Whats Wrong With My Color? :-?

~Q-Frost

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:10 pm

Congradulations on getting your system to OC. Sounds like you got a decent overclock out of it after just a little elbow grease.

As for the colors, if you browse around the forum you will notice that nobody posts in colors. It just kind of clashes with everything else. It is akin to writing in all caps...just bad manners I guess. Not to offend you or anything though, I know that you did not post like that to be offensive.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:47 pm

How did you get your board to accept anything that high. I too have a TUV4X, and the manual says it will only take upto a 1.2 cpu.

EDIT:

Okay after checking the Asus site, I see they changed the chipset to Via instead of the Apollo.

:cry: Wish mine would go that high too.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:37 pm

doesn't VIA make the appolo?

deedude
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:11 pm

if i really try i can get my celery 900 up to 1.2....

Q-Frost
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:50 pm

uh...if you break down the ASUS motherboard code this is what my board works out to be:

TU - tulatin CPU support
V- via chipset (via 694T)
4X - AGP video multiplier/support
(it's accually 4x pro, but i'm not tottally sure what "pro" is...)

and apperently theres supposed to be a - WOA after that for "without audio"

and i've also flash my bios to the newest version (1005), so that might have something to do with it..

~Q-Frost

IaMcRaP
Gerbil

Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:13 pm

Hi Q-Frost. Sorry to hear about your o/c problems.

Before I get started, let me state that cooling is not the cause of your problems!

I have a Tualatin 1.3 Celery, Silicon thermal gunk & stock intel cooling, on a Gigabyte 60XT-A (Solano 815EP B-stepping) and managed to get it overclocked to 128FSB 99% stable with no voltage change. 99.99% stable at 125FSB @38C. I'm sure it would have been rock solid but the crappy mobo would not allow a voltage change.

Anyway, I had loads of problems to start with because of some strange incompatability with the memory. I originally had to use a Gigabyte utility called 'EasyTuneIII' to get overclocked otherwise the machine would not post. Using a setting in EasyTune to automatically find the maximum overclock possible, it went right up to 126FSB before locking. Strangely enough, the CPU seemed to burn in and became more stable after a few weeks of use. Eventually 128+FSB was possible with no voltage change!

On occassion I would twiddle with the Bios settings and eventually stumbled on some(apart from default) that the machine would boot with. These were 124+FSB and 3-2-2 5/7 memory(locked to same speed as FSB). I also found a great increase in stability over 117FSB by using the dividers to keep the PCI bus(IDE HD drives) as close to 33.[3]mhz ending up on the low side of 33.333333mhz. I tried several different brands of memory and amounts and there definately was a BIG difference in stability. Could not get any overclock with 512MB in the BIOS regardless of brand. Some would overclock at the specific settings I mentioned earlier. Others would not overclock in the BIOS at all but were fine at ALL O/C speeds using 'EasyTuneIII'.

So my advise is: try 120 or higher FSB, set the PCI divider and use 3-2-2 5/7 memory settings or even memory on Auto. If you can, up the CPU voltage by 0.025v at a time and go as far as 1.65v max.

If the machine cannot get back into the BIOS then clear the CMOS and start again.

Downloading the latest BIOS update and Flashing the ROM might help.

Try disabling the onboard audio as sounds started going a bit strange on my mobo above 110FSB, whereas my Aureal Vortex card works fine even at 128FSB.

If EasyTune works on your machine do not use the demo version of EasyTuneIV because it saps about 10% performance.

As Forge mentioned earlier. "You may just have a Bum CPU".

Good Luck