Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Why no physical write-protect switch on USB storage things?

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:40 pm

With the increasing prevalence of USB drives as an attack vector, I again wonder why there are barely any USB flash drives and external HDD enclosures with a physical write-protect switch. A simple concept that existed on all media 20-30 years ago practically disappeared. Any idea why?

There are a few USB and USB-HDD write blocking adapters, but it's probably partial protection, and it's not cheap or comfortable.
Last edited by meerkt on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Why no physical write-protect switch on USB storage thin

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:19 am

I think the concept vanished because we now have file systems and software that can do what the little plastic tabs used to do, free of charge and far more intelligently.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:25 am

I.e., the NSA wants to be able to modify USB controller firmware, or at least try Autorun vulnerabilities?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:17 am

Hmm. I wonder if anyone makes a USB condom variant that allows data to be read but not written. The common version cuts data entirely and allows only power, for charging.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, but they're not that cheap, and I suspect it's not a perfect solution because there must be write-related commands/communication methods the adapter is unaware of.

It's better if it's part of the actual writing device, as the firmware authors are in full control and know all they need to know.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:24 am

meerkt wrote:
there must be write-related commands/communication methods the adapter is unaware of.

USB is an open standard, so I have to doubt this statement.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:28 pm

No one forces you to use standard USB classes for communication, and even within defined USB classes you have provisions for custom stuff.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:10 pm

meerkt wrote:
With the increasing prevalence of USB drives as an attack vector, I again wonder where there are barely any USB flash drives and external HDD enclosures with a physical write-protect switch. A simple concept that existed on all media 20-30 years ago practically disappeared. Any idea why?

Because scotch tape and the Internet both exist.

bthylafh wrote:
meerkt wrote:
there must be write-related commands/communication methods the adapter is unaware of.

USB is an open standard, so I have to doubt this statement.

Malicious payloads in the USB firmware are a thing.

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-securi ... anger-usb/
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ ... to-hackers

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:43 pm

SD cards and SD-to-microSD adapters still have write-protect switches. However, are you absolutely sure there's no way around the write protection?

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:41 pm

Wirko wrote:
SD cards and SD-to-microSD adapters still have write-protect switches. However, are you absolutely sure there's no way around the write protection?

If I remember correctly, those switches do nothing at all but signal to the host device that's accessing the SD card that it would be really, really nice if nothing got written today. It's entirely up to the host device whether it wants to honor the write-protect request, and it's easily circumvented in user software.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:01 pm

Wirko wrote:
Yeah, I was considering this for random transfers of data. I don't know if it's a hardware write protection. But in general I suspect it's a less reliable medium than plain UFDs, and it's not an alternative to external HDDs when you need real capacity.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I think the concept vanished because we now have file systems and software that can do what the little plastic tabs used to do, free of charge and far more intelligently.

If it's done in software, malware can defeat it. Also, anything implemented at the file system level won't protect you against accidentally doing any number of stupid things that operate below the file system level (drive image copy in the wrong direction, partitioning/formatting the wrong drive, etc.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.