Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

ForceEdge
Gerbil
Topic Author

New HGST 4TB drive, clicking on use = normal?

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi guys, just wanna ask for some opinions here as to what I should do.. As the title explains, I've recently just bought a new hgst nas drive (batch sept 2015) for backupping/archival but upon starting my large file transfer it started clicking twice/thrice per second...? running a block scan with hdtune doesnt give the same behavior, but hdtune does show some pretty bad symptoms(lots of reallocated sectors/events, pending sectors, high read error rate) as the drive speed drops significantly from ~190MB/s to <70 every few percentage points unakin to a new drive that should give a somewhat smooth transfer rate curve, and a full error scan shows that there's quite a few damaged blocks, tested 5 times just to make sure. I have the smaller 3tb hgst nas and that does not exhibit the same symptoms so I'm 90% sure it's a bad drive now, but I'd like to have some expert opinions if you will from any of you if I should just return it.. :lol: 20 years of hard drives, first one to be this bad out of the box... :roll:
[email protected]@1.3V,Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600C10,ASUS GeForce GTX 660,Intel SSD 750 400GB,Crucial BX100 256GB,MX100 512GB,Samsung 830 256 GB,HGST 3TB,4TBx2,Seagate 3TB,Z87HERO,AX760,H80i,Dell U2713HM,Corsair K70R,Logitech G502,JBL LSR305s,Audioengine D1

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: New HGST 4TB drive, clicking on use = normal?

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm 100% sure it's a bad drive, and you just bought it. Return it immediately.

It's a no-brainer.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:09 pm

ForceEdge wrote:
lots of reallocated sectors/events, pending sectors, high read error rate

Defective drive. RMA time.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

RtFusion
Gerbil

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 pm

If you see any bad symptoms with the blocks via HDTune (or other tool), it means that the drive is dying. Had a lot of experience with that on my end, almost lost 1Tb of information, good thing I did a scan with HDTune and found bad block as well as some hits with the SMART checking tool.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:52 pm

Duuuuuuum dum.

Duuuuuuum dum.

Duum duum duum duum duum...

Jaws theme. Your drive is about to die. Get the data out, kids! We're going to need a bigger backup.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

ForceEdge
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

morphine wrote:
Duuuuuuum dum.

Duuuuuuum dum.

Duum duum duum duum duum...

Jaws theme. Your drive is about to die. Get the data out, kids! We're going to need a bigger backup.

:oops: :lol: funny thing is that this NEW drive is supposed to be the drive to backup my old seagate 3tb barracudas! while we're on the topic of bad drives, does anyone know how to protect components from static discharges? I dont wear wooly clothes but from the past few flights I've had I've had one stick of ram fail, and two ssds :-? Working fine, disassembled parts, put into protective packaging, storage and cpu/ram/mobo (essentials hehe) into backpack, rest into luggage, arrive, unpack and reassemble pc(first thing to do once you get back home am i right? :D ) poof drives dont show up at all, mobo throws faulty ram code, thought slot was bad, turns out stick is dead. whats weird is that the sticks were all taken together, but somehow just That stick had to die.. bummer
[email protected]@1.3V,Corsair 32 GB DDR3 1600C10,ASUS GeForce GTX 660,Intel SSD 750 400GB,Crucial BX100 256GB,MX100 512GB,Samsung 830 256 GB,HGST 3TB,4TBx2,Seagate 3TB,Z87HERO,AX760,H80i,Dell U2713HM,Corsair K70R,Logitech G502,JBL LSR305s,Audioengine D1

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Infant mortality. Rare, but still occurs.

RMA now and don't leave anything on that drive that you can't lose.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:39 pm

ForceEdge wrote:
how to protect components from static discharges? ... put into protective packaging

I don't know if that was the cause here, but keep in mind that antistatic bags (e.g. pink) aren't the same as shielding bags (e.g. silver).

ForceEdge
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:45 pm

meerkt wrote:
ForceEdge wrote:
how to protect components from static discharges? ... put into protective packaging

I don't know if that was the cause here, but keep in mind that antistatic bags (e.g. pink) aren't the same as shielding bags (e.g. silver).

Yup that I do know, which is why i always keep the shielding bags for times i need to repackage and transport components around :D very handy for keeping smaller electronic components too! so yea..
EDIT: ah rereading I see what you mean.. my comprehension isnt doing so well this late in the day hehe.. Okay so do you suggest I get some antistatic bags for such purposes?

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ForceEdge wrote:
lots of reallocated sectors/events, pending sectors, high read error rate

Defective drive. RMA time.

This. Don't waste any time, RMA that mofo.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:10 am

It is unlikely that ESD was the cause of this specific failure.

Excessive reallocated/pending sectors generally indicates a defective drive, a worn out drive (not the case here, obviously), or a drive which has been damaged by mechanical shock. Was the drive a retail boxed drive in original factory packaging, or was it an OEM drive that had been repackaged by the vendor you bought it from? How well was it packaged for shipping? Also, 3.5" hard drives are surprisingly delicate. After they are out of their protective packaging, bare drives do not deal well with being dropped or banged. Even a drop of just a couple of inches onto a hard surface can generate accelerations of hundreds of Gs at the instant of impact -- enough to cause permanent damage.

On the topic of ESD... yes, all components should be stored/shipped in packaging which provides ESD shielding. When handling bare components, either use an ESD wrist strap, or keep some area of bare skin in contact with the chassis of the computer you are working on. Oh, and the wireless ESD wrist straps are a scam; a proper ESD wrist strap always has a grounding wire!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ForceEdge
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
It is unlikely that ESD was the cause of this specific failure.

Excessive reallocated/pending sectors generally indicates a defective drive, a worn out drive (not the case here, obviously), or a drive which has been damaged by mechanical shock. Was the drive a retail boxed drive in original factory packaging, or was it an OEM drive that had been repackaged by the vendor you bought it from? How well was it packaged for shipping? Also, 3.5" hard drives are surprisingly delicate. After they are out of their protective packaging, bare drives do not deal well with being dropped or banged. Even a drop of just a couple of inches onto a hard surface can generate accelerations of hundreds of Gs at the instant of impact -- enough to cause permanent damage.

On the topic of ESD... yes, all components should be stored/shipped in packaging which provides ESD shielding. When handling bare components, either use an ESD wrist strap, or keep some area of bare skin in contact with the chassis of the computer you are working on. Oh, and the wireless ESD wrist straps are a scam; a proper ESD wrist strap always has a grounding wire!

Its a retail drive fresh from Scan.co.uk (quite reliable in my experience), the packaging was very good, courier packaging even better, fully wrapped in bubblewrap too. I make sure Im not charged everytime i handle them with the psu case/exposed bare metal. what fabbles me is that it only happens on flights heh.. none ever died from my handling as I'm pretty paranoid about these things haha

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:45 pm

ForceEdge wrote:
Okay so do you suggest I get some antistatic bags for such purposes?
No, I think shield bags are the more useful ones. Makes me wonder what's the point of antistatic bags. Maybe cheaper to make?