Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Hard Drive Benchmarks

Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:52 pm

I was wondering where to find any good benchmarks to test out my I/O performance. For the last past six months for some reason some apps like Homeworld 2 and Total Annihilation take ages to load up my system it feels like my hard drives (see signature) are running in PIO mode. I have already enable UDMA mode 6 and some apps are running as fast as would I except them to go. I not mulitasking anything else ether so that elimates that possiblity. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it's caused by some service or something under Windows 2000.[/u]
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

ZooTech
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Hard Drive Benchmarks

Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:27 pm

Krogoth255 wrote:
I was wondering where to find any good benchmarks to test out my I/O performance. For the last past six months for some reason some apps like Homeworld 2 and Total Annihilation take ages to load up my system it feels like my hard drives (see signature) are running in PIO mode. I have already enable UDMA mode 6 and some apps are running as fast as would I except them to go. I not mulitasking anything else ether so that elimates that possiblity. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it's caused by some service or something under Windows 2000.[/u]

Norton SystemWorks 2003 comes with a nice one called "Performance Test" that allows you to download other people's benchmarks and then test your machine to see how it measures up via a nice graph.

http://www.noblepcs.com/product.asp?0=243&1=245&3=789

Plus, it's cheap and has NAV, GHOST, SpeedDisk (though speed disk won't work with Win2k), System Check, CleanSweep, etc...
Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant
like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:36 pm

You could try Sandra's drive benchmark or Attobench (try http://www.attotech.com/software/files/eptscsi.exe), it's part of atto's Windows SCSI Utilities from http://www.attotech.com/software/app1.html

If you really want to get down and dirty, get a copy of IOMeter. Nice benchmark tool, but a bit of a pain to get figured out.

Doing something like buying Systemworks would just be a waste IMO, unless you need ghost or NAV anyway.

atryus28
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:42 am

Considering Ghost comes for free on a lot of Mobo CD's that only leaves NAV (crap).