Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

drparts
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Recommendation for network storage solution

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a network storage solution to hold video files that fit the following criteria:

-low cost (preferably in the price range of $3000 or under)
-if possible, fit into typical server rack to help save physical space
-this device needs to be able to store 3GB of new video data daily for 2 years and have the option to add additional storage capacity in the future
-have the ability to search and access the data from a remote computer (ie vpn)
-have the ability to audit trail (ie security camera footage)
-easy to manage

Please let me know if you have any recommendations, thanks!

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Recommendation for network storage solution

Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:08 am

drparts wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a network storage solution to hold video files that fit the following criteria:

-low cost (preferably in the price range of $3000 or under)

With or without drives?
-this device needs to be able to store 3GB of new video data daily for 2 years and have the option to add additional storage capacity in the future

3 GB rotating or 3 GB X 730 days (2.2 TB)

-have the ability to search and access the data from a remote computer (ie vpn)

Any NAS can do that, depends if you want the NAS to be the VPN server however.
-have the ability to audit trail (ie security camera footage)

So you want one with security camera DVR capability?
[/quote]

There are a bunch of Synology systems that would fit your requirements. You pay a bit more for them than some of the others but they are very active in development of their firmware and have a pretty good support team.

drparts
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:23 pm

It will be with drives so we can add additional space in the future. Yes it will be for security camera footage but what I mean by audit trail is like file date and time stamp and record of deletions, ability to restore from file system.
Last edited by drparts on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:31 am

drparts wrote:
It will be with drives so we can add additional space in the future. Yes it will be for security camera footage.

You can really go with any of the Synology rack mount NAS units (or one of the table tops and put a rack shelf on to place them on top of). How many camera's are we talking about?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 am

Deanjo wrote:
drparts wrote:
It will be with drives so we can add additional space in the future. Yes it will be for security camera footage.

You can really go with any of the Synology rack mount NAS units (or one of the table tops and put a rack shelf on to place them on top of). How many camera's are we talking about?

Well, he already mentioned a need for 3GB/day, so we already know the bandwidth requirements. Given that this works out to only 35KB/sec I don't think performance (or total amount of storage) is going to be an issue.

We should probably be focusing on availability, reliability, and disaster recovery -- definitely some sort of RAID, maybe a UPS, and a way of backing the contents up to something outside the NAS (or even off-site).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
drparts wrote:

Well, he already mentioned a need for 3GB/day, so we already know the bandwidth requirements. Given that this works out to only 35KB/sec I don't think performance (or total amount of storage) is going to be an issue.

Not really concerned about the bandwidth, just wondering if it would be cheaper to go with Synology's NVR system since you can get them licensed out of the box with 5 or 9 cameras instead of purchasing a bunch of individual camera licenses.

We should probably be focusing on availability, reliability, and disaster recovery -- definitely some sort of RAID, maybe a UPS, and a way of backing the contents up to something outside the NAS (or even off-site).

Excluding a single drive NAS, they pretty much all are raid capable. A NAS and / or NVR system should always have a UPS (and if using a PoE switch, that should be on it as well). As far as backup goes, I would probably be inclined to go with Amazons Glacier backup. It is dirt cheap, and synology has an easy set and forget interface for it.

drparts
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I looked at Synology NASs and I have talked to a Synology rep, unfortunately their products don't support audit trail like file date and time stamp and record of deletions, ability to restore from file system as of yet. The RS815+ looked very promising too...

jhickman
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm

All of your requirements save the last are served pretty easily by any ZFS-based NAS, like those from iX systems.

As for the auditing though, I'm of the opinion that this requirement isn't really the job of your NAS, but rather the job of the video software you are using or plan to use.

I do know that various Unix-y file systems support the extended attributes that typically enable very granular auditing tasks, but to my limited knowledge this setup still relies on application software to set and read those attributes in order to create something you could audit.

Just my opinion.