Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Thinking of getting it enabled after getting the SSD installed again, and I have indeed wiped the Windows install and did it all over again, installing into the HDD first while in RAID mode.

The thing is, well, the Accelerate tab isn't showing up at all in Intel RST. Neither does the option to do so in the Peeformance tab within Intel RST.

Any idea what went wrong? (Figured that this might need a new thread.) system specs in signature, and the SSD in question is a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB (got it because it was the cheapest I could find - indeed, when the last one was being used as the system drive, things felt fast - this is actually the warranty replacement.)
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Re: Enabling Intel Smart Response Technology

Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:44 pm

There's a small checklist of weird things that can or can't be in order for the Accelerate button to show up.

First thing I can think of is, what does your partition layout look like? SRT likes to put its metadata in empty space immediately after the partition that has Windows in it. I think SRT has some magic sauce that makes this just work with MBR, but may require manual fiddling with GPT - if the system partition is immediately followed by the recovery partition, shrinking the main partition by 5MB would fix that problem.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Is the SSD plugged in, and clean of any partitions (initialized in Windows Disk Management but left blank) Click on Control Panel, click Windows Administrative Tools, and click Computer Management. Go down to Storage click Disk Management. Check if your SSD has any partitions and delete all of them.

I found what TwistedKestrel is talking about. You will need to scroll down to the part "No acceleration tab showing up for you? Here is the fix!"
Overclock.net
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:41 pm

TwistedKestrel wrote:
There's a small checklist of weird things that can or can't be in order for the Accelerate button to show up.

First thing I can think of is, what does your partition layout look like? SRT likes to put its metadata in empty space immediately after the partition that has Windows in it. I think SRT has some magic sauce that makes this just work with MBR, but may require manual fiddling with GPT - if the system partition is immediately followed by the recovery partition, shrinking the main partition by 5MB would fix that problem.

biffzinker wrote:
Is the SSD plugged in, and clean of any partitions (initialized in Windows Disk Management but left blank) Click on Control Panel, click Windows Administrative Tools, and click Computer Management. Go down to Storage click Disk Management. Check if your SSD has any partitions and delete all of them.

I found what TwistedKestrel is talking about. You will need to scroll down to the part "No acceleration tab showing up for you? Here is the fix!"
Overclock.net

Ah, shrinking the main partition on the HDD did the trick. (Using a "the entire thing" configuration by simply installing Windows straight to the entire unallocated space during Windows setup.)

Makes you wonder what made it a bit funky on GPT partitions, though. (There is no recovery partition.)
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10