Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

A Sandforce SSD story

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm

I have a Corsair F60 SSD with the Sandforce controller. One day, it just froze. Connected it to another PC and the drive would show data for like 10 minutes but after that, the drive would become inaccessible with the HDD light constantly RED like its doing some insane writing. Tried to get my data off it a few times but every time it would freeze after 15 minutes. So I put it away. Several months later, I got an idea and decided to experiment. Connected the SSD and just went about doing other stuff. After a few hours, the SSD revived itself completely. It was completely usable and all data was intact and I could copy it successfully off the drive.

Moral of the story: If you have a stashed away Sandforce SSD that always gets stuck in a frozen loop, give it a few hours and let it repair itself.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: A Sandforce SSD story

Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm

"Well, she turned me into a brick!"

"A brick?!"

"I got better."
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

localhostrulez

Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:41 pm

Yep, I had a Toshiba Q-series pro that did this after copying 50GB of movies to it. Eventually recovered after being powered on for a while.

That said, I lost faith in the drive, sent it in for warranty, and they ended up refunding me for it. I don't consider locking up the machine to be acceptable behavior, period.

Kougar

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:25 pm

I can't google-fu the article as all I find are troubleshooting threads, but this is actually one of the options suggested for SSD troubleshooting. Namely leaving it connected and powered on for a few hours for the drive firmware to work through whatever problem that caused it to drop from the system. Wouldn't be the first Sandforce drive to do it.