Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

001-deactivated
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

[Solved] Disk failure?

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:49 pm

I've got a Samsung Spinpoint M9T 2TB HDD and it's not showing up in Windows Explorer, just Disk Management. I just backed up to it yesterday.

I tried Recuva (a recovery program), but got this message:

So far I've taken it out of its external enclosure and attached it inside my desktop—with the same result. Any ideas?

Edit: Oops, I think I goofed. Backed up to another disk yesterday, not this one. Think this one was formatted for FreeNAS and I grabbed it off the pile without realizing it hadn't been reformatted for Windows yet.
Last edited by 001-deactivated on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Disk failure?

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Looks like file system corruption. This could have been caused by either hardware or software.

When you say you "backed up to it", what did you do exactly? Just copied files to it? Used Windows Backup? Used something else?

Have you checked the system event log for errors?

Why does the disk have two partitions?

Try downloading and running the manufacturer's diagnostics.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Disk failure?

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:48 am

Dashak wrote:
Edit: Oops, I think I goofed. Backed up to another disk yesterday, not this one. Think this one was formatted for FreeNAS and I grabbed it off the pile without realizing it hadn't been reformatted for Windows yet.

Heh. Yeah, that would do it. The symptoms are consistent with a foreign file system that Windows doesn't recognize.

I guess I should've added "meatware" to my "hardware or software" list. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.