Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Do cheap USB storage to LAN adapters exist?

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:10 am

Is there such a thing as cheap USB storage to LAN "NAS" adapters?
Something you connect a UFD or USB HDD to, that allows configuring IP, MS shares, etc.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Re: Do cheap USB storage to LAN adapters exist?

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:34 am

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:05 pm

Not the WiFi ones, but the $10 LAN one might be interesting. Although the "internet sharing" orientation is not promising.

Any experience with it? What's the control over access rights, how's performance, HDD spin up/down behavior...

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:31 pm

meerkt wrote:
Not the WiFi ones, but the $10 LAN one might be interesting. Although the "internet sharing" orientation is not promising.

Yeah, from the description it is not clear that it even supports local shares on the LAN. Plus, I believe Pogoplug is shifting their entire business model to be a remote access service and cloud storage provider. There isn't even any mention of that device on their web site any more.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:35 pm

If you're willing to tinker and don't need much in the way of throughput (i.e., you're OK with 100 mbit LAN connection) you could cobble something together with a Raspberry Pi and a USB hub.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:53 pm

I thought of that, but I expect a ready-made product will be cheaper and potentially more refined. It will also be more limited, but as long as the basics are covered it will do.
10MB/sec is fine, and if there's a good reason I'm willing to compromise for less.

Are Pogoplug known? But even if they're shifting away, if the obsoleted product works it works.
Last edited by meerkt on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:07 pm

meerkt wrote:
Are Pogoplug known? But even if they're shifting a way, if the obsoleted product works it works.

Given that it is internet-enabled and (apparently) discontinued/deprecated, I'd be really concerned about security vulnerabilities not getting patched. If it has issues working with newer versions of Windows, that may not get fixed either (assuming it even supports Windows-style folder sharing to begin with).

I suppose for the price it's hard to go wrong, but I'd be a little leery of it unless you can find info online from other people who have used it for your intended purpose.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:
Are Pogoplug known? But even if they're shifting a way, if the obsoleted product works it works.

Given that it is internet-enabled and (apparently) discontinued/deprecated, I'd be really concerned about security vulnerabilities not getting patched. If it has issues working with newer versions of Windows, that may not get fixed either (assuming it even supports Windows-style folder sharing to begin with).

I suppose for the price it's hard to go wrong, but I'd be a little leery of it unless you can find info online from other people who have used it for your intended purpose.

Yeah, this. OEMs at the bottom of the market don't give one single crap about security or bugs because caring would make the price go up.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Wifi routers started including USB ports a couple of generations ago (eg "ReadyShare" on Netgear). You could find a cheap one used or remaindered somewhere and use that, not as a router but reconfigured as a endpoint device on your LAN. Not sure if it would give you all the options you're looking for, but if you just need to make a USB external drive available on your network it should work (caveat: I've never done this so it's possible the USB sharing functionality doesn't work if the router itself isn't acting as a router, ie the share isn't visible to IPs the router isn't responsible for assigning).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:22 pm

bthylafh wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Yeah, this. OEMs at the bottom of the market don't give one single crap about security or bugs because caring would make the price go up.

To be fair, I think Pogoplug was a respectable (if not terribly well-known) vendor of this kind of stuff. But given that there's no mention of it on their web site, I'd be concerned about the level of ongoing support. It is entirely possible that the support team for this product has already been let go.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
meerkt wrote:

Yeah, from the description it is not clear that it even supports local shares on the LAN. Plus, I believe Pogoplug is shifting their entire business model to be a remote access service and cloud storage provider. There isn't even any mention of that device on their web site any more.

Apparently that's why you put your own flavor of linux on it:

I bought one of these about a year ago. It is Great! I used the default software for the first few months. It's is very easy to use. Basically Plug it in and and setup your account. It literally takes less then 2 minutes. And then, login from anywhere in the word to access your files.

After a few months I decided to install Arch Linux on it so that I could ssh tunnel and do some other advanced things with it.

I just bought a second one for a friend.

Pros:
Easy to use.
It really is great for anyone.
Simple for the average person, but easily customizable to give the advanced user more power and option.

Cons:
It's not the fastest thing in the world. But I didn't expect it to be. When using the default software, it wants to convert videos for better streaming. This can take a while. But, other then the converting of the videos it works great and an advanced user can make that more efficient with a few scripts. It's as fast as I would expect from the specs.

The stock software appears to have a few good features but I wiped it and set it up as a NAS:
Arch Linux
1TB Hard Drive
SAMBA set up for Windows access
Backed up to Google Drive with Insync software
Transfer speeds of around 21MB/s... fast enough for my purposes.

This is a great $25 headless Linux box if you don't need a lot of power and don't want to spend a lot powering it.
Great resource for setting this up http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/tutoria ... linux.html
For those interested, I bought the P22 and it was version E02 and came form Ibex Technology.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Oh, wow... a $10 device capable of running Arch Linux is actually kind of tempting! :lol:

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:18 pm

Except for the "Arch" part, maybe. :P
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:24 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Except for the "Arch" part, maybe. :P

Well, yeah... there is that. :lol:

But if Arch runs on it, there's a chance Debian could be coaxed into booting up. And if you've got Debian, that opens up a lot of possibilities. If I had more free time, I'd probably be all over a $10 mini Linux system with USB and Ethernet connectivity.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:42 pm

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. :)
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:20 pm

Jeez... after clicking/searching around a bit as a result of this thread, banner ads from Adorama (seller in the first Amazon link) are following me around all over the web! :roll:

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:13 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If you're willing to tinker and don't need much in the way of throughput (i.e., you're OK with 100 mbit LAN connection) you could cobble something together with a Raspberry Pi and a USB hub.

It's still a self assembly "product" but: http://wdlabs.wd.com/category/pidrive-enclosures/
Less tinkering and cobbling than would otherwise be needed.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:49 am

Why pay $10 (for the blue one) when you can have it for $6?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/391510041573

These page say "Pogoplug Series 4", which is more expensive than the above, comes with: gigabit, SATA, USB3 (but supposedly not much faster than USB2 in practice). :)
https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv ... g-series-4
http://blog.qnology.com/p/difference-be ... e-and.html

And yet, this review claims the older ones (v2?) might perform better:
http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.com/ ... eview.html

UberGerbil wrote:
Wifi routers started including USB ports a couple of generations ago ...
Yeah, but I haven't been able to find a cheap used one that satisfies: USB storage + gigabit ports, low-power/12V (i.e., rules out Asus it seems), external antennas (don't know if it matters), good stock firmware or properly supported by *WRT. So I'm trying to separate the "NAS" requirement from the router. It's a bit like with modems. Router-modem combos are nice in theory, but in practice the conflicting goals make it difficult to find a worthy one.

Re Pogoplug, quite annoying that they're not sold or advertised with proper model numbers. I'm trying to figure out what's what.
According to this, you never know what you're gonna get.

Newer isn't necessarily better, although there are some advantages as well. Here's what I have so far:

Gen1?
POGO-B01/2/3/4?

Gen2? 2009?
POGO-E02. Pink or grey (E02G?). 3 USB2?. 256MB RAM vs 128MB in all others?

Gen3? 2010? Upright.
POGO-P01/2: "Pro". WiFi.
POGO-P21/2/4/5: The black upright thing sold now. 3x USB.
"Biz". Similar to "Pro" with more software options?
"Video". Overheats.

Gen4? 2011? Horizontal.
POGO-V4-A4-01(/-05?). "Mobile". Blue logo. 1x USB2.
POGO-V4-A3-01. "Series 4". Pink logo. 2x USB3. SATA.

trackerben

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 am

I still use the mobile version of the Hootoo Nano, which works similarly and also functions as a power bank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UFLP86U?ref=emc_b_5_t

It's good at WISP bridging (hotspot sharing) of multiple user mobiles off a wi-fi single account, which you set up with its web UI. Otherwise, it's slow at wirelessly sharing volumes, at around 4-5 MBps tops. The admin password is also the access pass to the shares, so it's a bit too promiscuous for general usage.

trackerben

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:05 am

meerkt wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
Wifi routers started including USB ports a couple of generations ago ...
Yeah, but I haven't been able to find a cheap used one that satisfies: USB storage + gigabit ports, low-power/12V (i.e., rules out Asus it seems), external antennas (don't know if it matters), good stock firmware or properly supported by *WRT. So I'm trying to separate the "NAS" requirement from the router. It's a bit like with modems. Router-modem combos are nice in theory, but in practice the conflicting goals make it difficult to find a worthy one...

Look for an Asus RT-N16. It seems to meet your criteria and with the latest stock firmware. You can manage router users and associate SMB shares with each, controlling R/W access down to the folder level using the router's USB media services. For an added, separate access control layer with its own user registry, you can expose only its WAN port to your wired network and then VPN in as needed.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:28 am

Hootoo: I don't like the idea of the NAS device having its own WiFi connectivity.

The RT-N16 is very old, but might be interesting. Have you tried it yourself?

trackerben

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 am

meerkt wrote:
Hootoo: I don't like the idea of the NAS device having its own WiFi connectivity...

The HooToo's WiFi can't be turned off and its Ethernet port is WAN-only, so it's not for you. But what's the issue with consumer NAS gear having a wireless interface?

...The RT-N16 is very old, but might be interesting. Have you tried it yourself?

I use this model constantly at home and some at work as described. In particular I have a flash drive with a router admin file share on an RT-N16 at a small office, to remotely test windows networking over the VPN when all PCs are powered off. However, continuous transfer speeds with large files are in the low 9-11 MBps, even as a local user or as a remote user and with VPN encryption off. Newer Asus models in the RT-N6x or RT-AC6x or higher ranges are capable of much faster USB i/o in the range of 39-47 MBps, but you mentioned you needed something cheap.
Last edited by trackerben on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:49 am

trackerben wrote:
The HooToo's WiFi can't be turned off and its Ethernet port is WAN-only, so it's not for you. But what's the issue with consumer NAS gear having a wireless interface?

I assume he's concerned about the potential security implications. Don't most of them allow the WiFi connectivity to be disabled?

trackerben

Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
I assume he's concerned about the potential security implications. Don't most of them allow the WiFi connectivity to be disabled?

I see consumer-grade USB NAS functions mostly on wireless routers. With the majority of Asus RT-series routers, you can fully disable or schedule radio operation according to a weekly/hourly calendar. The HooToo's single Ethernet is WAN-only and has no VPN or remote interface (that I can remember) once the system password is set. So wireless is its only official channel for local users, it must always remain available.

The HooToo worked well in the past year on the largest paid hotspot networks in Japan and Hong Kong, reliably sharing internet to all my mobile devices once I got access though the web portals with one. Hotel wi-fi portals don't seem to faze its bridging functions, either. But its NAS WLAN usage is limited within a 10.x.x.x subnet that's too slow for large transfers or streaming 1080p videos with decent bitrates.

DarwinJones
Gerbil In Training

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:13 am

wow $10, actually the price doesn't matter what important it will work for long...
to be honest I'm not sure what device you in particular lol