Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

drjustice
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thermatake Blacx 5g corrupting SSDs?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi. I have a Thermaltake USB Dock (Blacx 5g) and I had the misfortune of putting a Samsung EVO 850 in it.

I did this to transport very data from a drive that was located on one computer, to another computer.

At first, there was no apparent problem. The drive mounted fine, and I was able to see my folders. As I clicked through them to get to my data, at one point the computer freezes, and he folder I navigated to looked empty.  The drive then auto-disconnected and Windows auto-ejected he device.  

I turned the enclosure back on, but unfortunately the drive was no longer recognized regardless of what we did to try to reconnect to it. It did once or twice, but the volume name had gone away and the drive seemed empty. Windows asked me to format the drive (which I did not). Windows tools saw the partition as RAW, essentially as a wiped partition.  I ran diagnosic tools which seemed to point to an electrical failure of the drive.

My sysadmin asked me to plug the device on a mac... You know... Just for kicks.

After quite many seconds, IT MOUNTED!

I quickly grabbed my data.

I plugged it back in my PC. I saw the volume!  But then it disconnected/corrupted again.

Again on my mac. The volume came back.

I plugged it back into a different USB port on the motherboard this time, and it seemed to work for a while. But then did the same thing again.

After some investigation, I stumbled upon this thread, which indicated the exact same configuration and very similar disconnection problems.

http://www.techreport.com/discussion/27 ... ewed#metal

(sorry for the mangled link, TR forum says I can't post a link since I'm a newbie -- admins fix my link?) [got it -jbi]

So, where is the problem?

Not sure, but as the review says, the dock doesn't seem to support TRIM commands properly, but Windows sees it as a normal drive. It's possible it's a driver issue and TRIM commands are being sent but ignored by the dock, which would make this a driver issue. However, perhaps the enclosure is just as much as fault for not supporting TRIM, which makes it just as much at fault since, according to the article, other enclosures seem to support it as a standard feature.

Either way, I'm tossing the Thermaltake Blacx 5g to the trash.  No way I'm playing russian roulette with other drives I'd have to plug into an external dock.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Thermatake Blacx 5g corrupting SSDs?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Lack of TRIM should not be able to cause symptoms like that.

Sounds like an issue with the USB-SATA bridge in the dock.

I have a Thermaltake BlacX dock, but generally use it in eSATA mode.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:53 pm

I've not had any trouble from my Thermaltake BlacX 5G dock.  I've used it with SSDs and hard drives.  Is yours plugged into a USB 3.0 port or an older USB 2 port?
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Also, if you are on a USB3 port who made the USB3 chipset on your motherboard? There are a lot of crappy ones.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

drjustice
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:42 pm

I plugged it into a USB 2.0 port of a Xeon workstation, chipset Intel C602.

BTW looks like I am not the only one.

http://community.thermaltake.com/index. ... ate-drive/