Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Ssd as a portable drive, recycle bin and system volume info

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi folks, I hope someone gets what I am trying to ask as I could not think of how to put this into Google.

I have an older ssd, 128gb, that I put in a small enclosure and want to use it in my car and with the USB on my home receiver.

My reciever said it would not recognize a 'sata bridge' which is what shows up in the safely remove hardware taskbar but when I connected it to my receiver it took about 10 mins and then the songs showed up but first was either the recycle bin, or the system volume information folder.

In any event both were listed before the songs were.

My question is, how can I remove the recycle bin and system volume folder...if it is even possible as I think this is whats causing the slowdown when reading the drive.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Ssd as a portable drive, recycle bin and system volume info

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:42 pm

From inside Windows it's going to be difficult for you to do that without affecting the files on the drive.

What I'd recommend is mounting the drive (using the enclosure) on a Linux PC and then deleting those folders from the file manager. If you don't have one handy you could always boot from a live-CD or thumbdrive with a Linux installer on it.

Do keep in mind that if you re-connect the drive to a Windows PC and try to delete anything the folders will be re-created.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:41 am

Just use an XP machine to do it.  Newer versions of Windows think they know better than you do.

The receiver sounds like it can read the filesystem to get that far but find out what your car can read!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:56 am

@bfg-9000 - If he doesn't have an XP machine handy, the Linux live CD is probably easier.

If the idea is to use this drive to move media files around to disparate systems and devices, you might want to consider reformatting it as FAT32 (broadest cross-platform compatibility, but with a 4GB-per-file size limit) or possibly exFAT (depending on whether your devices are new enough to recognize it). FAT-family file systems are less robust (more likely to be compromised if a device is disconnected unexpectedly), but are generally more compatible with a wide variety of devices.

To format it FAT32 you'll need to use a non-Windows OS (like the above mentioned Linux live CD), since Windows imposes an arbitrary 32GB limit on the creation (but not use) of FAT32 partitions.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

just brew it! wrote:
To format it FAT32 you'll need to use a non-Windows OS (like the above mentioned Linux live CD), since Windows imposes an arbitrary 32GB limit on the creation (but not use) of FAT32 partitions.

Not true my good friend.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 38432.aspx

He will just need to download a free partition manager.
I like MiniTool Partition Wizard Free .
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html
http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Parti ... 62200.html

He should be able to able to customize his partition

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:26 am

Dposcorp wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Not true my good friend.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 38432.aspx

He will just need to download a free partition manager.
I like MiniTool Partition Wizard Free .
https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-pa ... nager.html
http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Parti ... 62200.html

He should be able to able to customize his partition

Well, I did say the limitation was on formatting (not use). The native Windows tools won't let you do it, but yes a third-party tool that supports large FAT32 partitions would work.

I suppose a Linux live CD could also be considered to be a free 3rd party partition manager? It's what I use for my partitioning/cloning needs! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:00 am

I just wanted to bust your chops a bit.........I knew what you were saying. :)

I also didnt want the OP hunting around for a non windows PC or a large Linux ISO, when a small program like that can do the trick.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:02 am

Thank you folks and I have no idea why I never thought of a boot cd but thats what I will do.

Yes I had already done the formatting to fat32, as neither the car or receiver will read exfat and certainly not ntfs.

One question though, would I be wise to use my windows pc and move all my music files there first, then go to the boot cd and delete those folders.

Dposcorp

Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:36 am

Looks like you can do this in one or two steps.

1st, you should make the large fat32 partition, then copy your music over.
JBI is right, download some free live CD/USB, boot from that, and then create the partiion and copy the music.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Tyvm folks.