Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Cloning software - SSD to M.2

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 pm

Just wanted to follow up. I downloaded an ISO of Win 10 from Microsoft for people in my situation. I removed all other SSD and HDD. I set up the M.2 with Windows 10, and it accepted my Windows 7 key. System boots fine. I added my SSD and HDD. Booted perfectly. However, in the BIOS/UEFI, there is a Windows Managed prefix to the 960. I moved over everything from the SSD's User folder. I am recovering everything from the SSD and I will reformat it.

Anyways, steps in the right direction. I will probably make my SSD a folder for Steam and some other programs.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 am

Here's the software I bought when I upgraded from my old 2 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM hard drive to my new Mushkin Reactor 1 TB SSD:
http://www.backup-utility.com/professional.html

AOMEI Backupper Professional.$49.95 for a 2-PC lifetime license.

Worked flawlessly,allowing me to clone my larger drive to my smaller SSD perfectly,with full bootability..and everything still intact.

It was well worth the money.

Just a suggestion to try.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 am

Glad you got it sorted. Reinstalling is the simplest and quickest method to fix. 

Sounds like you only cloned the partition but didn't clone the entire drive, which would mean macrium didn't copy over the boot partition/files. I had to fix this exact problem after I migrated my father's HDD to an SSD for him, the SSD couldn't boot. Also as with what happened to you macrium for some odd reason had only made a ~40GB Win 10 partition and left the rest of the SSD unallocated, and not even the built in Windows disk maanger would allow me to expand the volume as the option was disabled. I had to use a free partition manager to expand the partition to the full size of the drive.

For future reference you can also fix it by booting to the Win 10 media, going to the advanced recovery options and using the command line to do the bootrec /rebuildbcd /fixboot /fixmbr commands as needed, tons of guides for it abound. The order of operations matters to make it work, but I don't remember the order I used that finally worked. So it's faster to just reinstall if you don't need the data.