RickyTick
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: HDD to SSD trouble +

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:25 am

UberGerbil wrote:
Aranarth wrote:
RickyTick wrote:
FWIW, I replaced the CMOS battery and now I can make changes in the BIOS and it doesn't shut down when I F10 save. Who knew?
Not me, I've never seen that one before.
I've seen it, but not for years (I think the last time was a Pentium II or III mobo). Much more common is replacing the CMOS battery and it having zero effect.

The best part about this was that the spousal trip to the store for the battery wasn't a waste. Definitely deserves a "thanks honey!" (or whatever small emotional currency your relationship uses for onging maintenance) .

TBH, she was already going to the store anyway, but she still got a "thanks honey".

System is running great. Thanks everyone for the tips and help. I always know where to go for good advice.
Thanks again.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Re: HDD to SSD trouble +

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:24 am

Oh right, meant to add to this thread yesterday.

In Windows 7+ in particular, switching between MBR/GPT is basically impossible without reinstalling Windows. This is because with Windows GPT and UEFI go hand in hand, and there is no practical way that I know of to switch from BIOS to UEFI boot without reinstalling it. I guess Macrium could have warned you about this when you did it, though AFAIK you would have had to intentionally alter something during the mirroring process to get it to switch partition types.

I feel like Linux *could* survive such a switch, but I've never tried it...