Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Not sure why SSD is extremely slow (read and write in KB/s) and not reporting SMART info

Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Laptop: Acer Travelmate P645-MG, Windows 10

According to Notebookcheck, the SSD model in their review unit was a 256GB Toshiba THNSNS256GMCP mSATA SSD. ( https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Ac ... 645.0.html )

The trouble started when I repeatedly attempted to install the Creator update, but it kept freezing at 32% installation after reboot. I first attempted to do this on May 12th.

I used a system image to restore the OS to a condition a few months ago, ran CHKDSK /R, sfc /scannow, and the DISM restore health commands. Nothing seemed unusual. When I ran the Creator update again, this time it aborted the installation before the reboot step.

When I opened up Event Viewer, it's full of "The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block." errors, and they started appearing on May 16th, after my initial multiple attempts at trying to install the Creator update.

SSD-Z reported "n/a" for literally every single information, including device name, serial number and most importantly, the SMART info. Some of Windows functionality won't load at all, and Windows Defender and Malwarebyes are very sluggish.

Currently I'm creating another system image on the backup HDD (1 image from January, another from early March), but I'm confused of how the SSD could be failing. I highly doubt that I burnt through the over-provisioning of the blocks.

EDIT: I ran Command Prompt to check the SMART status, and it says that the SSD is "OK". Huh...

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Not sure why SSD is extremely slow (read and write in KB/s) and not reporting SMART info

Thu May 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Sounds like either the SSD or the SSD interface in the laptop is going flaky on you. Unfortunately that's gonna be a tough one to troubleshoot unless you have a spare mSATA SSD laying around.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Not sure why SSD is extremely slow (read and write in KB/s) and not reporting SMART info

Fri May 19, 2017 11:40 am

I agree with JBI that this doesn't sound like a typical SSD failure. This sounds like it could be a controller/driver/SATA problem.

I'd put the drive in a USB adapter/PCIe card (such beasts are rare but do exist) and verify that it's still slow from another computer.

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Turns out it was a bad SD card that was flooding Event Viewer with the bad blocks error messages, and I was using that card for the File History backup.

About a month ago, the files on the card were corrupted. I simply reformatted the SD card and continued using it. Well, I guess it's broken enough to lock up Explorer on two different computers (Disk Management couldn't even open up).

Unfortunately, I was forced to do a clean install of Windows 10. Upgrading to Creator Update still didn't work even after the SD card was removed, upgrading using a mounted ISO didn't work either, repairing Windows 10 with an installation disk failed (to correct any file corruptions), and all three of my backup system images on the external hard drive were corrupted as well.