Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: SanDisk Cruzer Edge is *horrible*

Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Aether wrote:
Also, I wanted to mention that a couple times I have noticed that Amazon does its math wrong in determining the average number of stars, so you may have to check that if the average does not seem to jibe with the reviews. For a recent purchase, when I added the fractional contribution from each number of stars, it did not sum to the stated average.

Does Amazon give extra weight to "verified purchase" reviews? AFAICT anyone with an Amazon account can review a product, but Amazon might give extra weight to reviewers who have that item in their purchase history.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Aether
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 am

ludi wrote:
Aether wrote:
Also, I wanted to mention that a couple times I have noticed that Amazon does its math wrong in determining the average number of stars, so you may have to check that if the average does not seem to jibe with the reviews. For a recent purchase, when I added the fractional contribution from each number of stars, it did not sum to the stated average.

Does Amazon give extra weight to "verified purchase" reviews? AFAICT anyone with an Amazon account can review a product, but Amazon might give extra weight to reviewers who have that item in their purchase history.

It must be something like that. I find it hard to believe that their website cannot handle simple math.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Speaking of which, I just ordered this Adata 64GB model from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF ... UTF8&psc=1

After reading this thread I'm crossing my fingers that it has the longevity and speediness I'm expecting.

defaultluser
Gerbil

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Manufacturers have stopped putting in the effort on USB 2.0 drives. That's because the standard tops-out at around 25MB/s.

Always go USB 3, because it's going to give you at least 50-80MB/s read, and around 10-20MB/s write, even for most of the low-end drives. There's also like a dollar or two difference between the two, at this point. AND they usually post their minimum speeds, since the drives are nowhere near the maximum transfer rates.

BACKWARD-COMPATIBLE, and all. So even if you ARE running on USB 2 native platform, the performance will be VERY fast :D

EDIT: that drive should be fantastic!

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:08 pm

USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s, or about 60MB/s. Are you going to get that in real world usage? Probably not, but I have external hard drives that are faster than 25MB/s on USB 2.0 for writes, let alone reads. You would think flash drives would be able to max it out as well, but they use cheap controllers and cheap flash memory to keep the prices down. The result of those being cheap is that they're also slower.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:10 pm

curtisb wrote:
USB 2.0 is 480 Mb/s, or about 60MB/s. Are you going to get that in real world usage? Probably not, but I have external hard drives that are faster than 25MB/s on USB 2.0 for writes, let alone reads. You would think flash drives would be able to max it out as well, but they use cheap controllers and cheap flash memory to keep the prices down. The result of those being cheap is that they're also slower.

Effective max throughput for a USB 2.0 drive is ~35 MB/s.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:36 pm

Waco wrote:
Effective max throughput for a USB 2.0 drive is ~35 MB/s.
My experience as well.

I don't know if you can assume USB3 UFDs to be faster. Best try to find reviews or at least official speed specs.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:52 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
TLDR: I don't understand how new (mostly planar TLC!) drives sell at all when there are both good easily available alternatives and older versions both competing with the new crap.

I don't mind crap TLC drives if the price is right, but it sure as hell isn't.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

anxiousape
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 am

I too was disappointed with mu flash drive. This is an almost comprehensive list of comparison - I'd never buy another usb drive without consulting it. h**p://usb.userbenchmark.com/

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

strangerguy wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
TLDR: I don't understand how new (mostly planar TLC!) drives sell at all when there are both good easily available alternatives and older versions both competing with the new crap.

Yeah, the prices are higher than older MLC drives because of this obnoxious worldwide flash shortage...

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Waco wrote:
strangerguy wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Yeah, the prices are higher than older MLC drives because of this obnoxious worldwide flash shortage...

SSDs still have definable performance tiers, but they're all of $5 apart. The only drives with a real premium are Samsung.

There's simply no reason to buy most of these models. It would be one thing if MLC drives weren't made any more, but they still are and they're about the same price.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Waco wrote:
strangerguy wrote:

SSDs still have definable performance tiers, but they're all of $5 apart.

It's worse than that though, due to the shortage.

New drives with TLC cost *more* than MLC drives that are better in every definable way.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 am

Here's how it behaves when it's a bit more full (average ~4MB/s):
The inconsistency is less consistent than before. The average speed maybe similar, or a bit slower.