Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Errors on new SSD

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I bought a new SSD, ran Linux's badblocks in read-write mode because I'm that sort of guy, and was surprised to actually discover errors ("32/0/32 errors" so far).

Is it normal for new SSDs to have bad sectors which are simply replaced by spare sectors, or should I return the SSD?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Errors on new SSD

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Not normal at all. Unless the errors are due to a faulty SATA cable or failing host SATA port, the drive is defective.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:32 am

Don't know if we're talking about the same thing,but CrystalDisk has a entry on my C400-
BD-Factory bad block count-Raw value-52

I've always assumed NAND has spares to replace bad blocks at manufacturing level.

What's the brand?
Is the capacity right?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:43 am

HERETIC wrote:
Don't know if we're talking about the same thing,but CrystalDisk has a entry on my C400-
BD-Factory bad block count-Raw value-52

He said he's running the Linux "badblocks" tool. Per the output, there are (at least) 32 unreadable sectors.

HERETIC wrote:
I've always assumed NAND has spares to replace bad blocks at manufacturing level.

Yes, it does. But these are dealt with internally; if bad blocks are visible at the user level in a write-read-verify test (what badblocks does), the drive has a problem. A new drive should never have trouble coughing up data which was just written to it.

HERETIC wrote:
What's the brand?

The described behavior would be incorrect regardless of brand.

HERETIC wrote:
Is the capacity right?

It's certainly worth verifying the drive info and health as reported by SMART, to see if there are any anomalies. Since OP is apparently using Linux: smartctl -a <device> (you may need to install an additional package from your repository first, e.g. in Debian/Ubuntu you need "smartmontools").

I would also run the same test with a known good drive connected to the same port and power connector, to rule out system level problems.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 am

just brew it! wrote:
The described behavior would be incorrect regardless of brand.

That made me giggle. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Yan
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
It's certainly worth verifying the drive info and health as reported by SMART, to see if there are any anomalies. Since OP is apparently using Linux: smartctl -a <device> (you may need to install an additional package from your repository first, e.g. in Debian/Ubuntu you need "smartmontools")..

A short SMART self-test before running badblocks reported no errors. Running badblocks read-only also reported no errors. I had to run a write-read test to find the errors, and then SMART reported reallocated sectors.

I wonder how many users have defective drives without knowing it, because they don't do things like run a write-read test with badblocks. Even a SMART self-test saw no problem. Back when floppies were still used, I always reformatted them to check for bad sectors, and it wasn't unusual for a new floppy to be defective.

I'm returning the SSD. It's a Crucial MX300, by the way, which is recommended in a certain guide. ;-)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:13 pm

There are bad drives in every bunch.

I have a small pile of Intel DC-S3700 drives to send to destruction at work...10% failure rate so far in a very light workload. Supposedly the new firmware is going to be better.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.