Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Seagate + BS marketing = AI?!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm

What a load of crap:
https://www.seagate.com/about-seagate/n ... master-pr/

I want an HDD optimized for rickrolling. I suggest calling it RickHawk Platinum. The drive motor could be made to avoid rotating in harmonics related to the song, and so improve average performance while rickrolling.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Re: Seagate + BS marketing = AI?!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Here's an example of some of that BS marketing. I hope this person was highly paid, because that's some invaluable BS there. Dahua's CEO was eating it up, later in the press release.

SkyHawk AI is ideal for intensive computational workloads that typically accompany AI work streams, as its high throughput and enhanced caching deliver low latency and excellent random read performance to quickly locate and deliver video images and footage analysis. This enables on-the-edge decision making, eliminating the latency of exchanging cloud-based data and processing. Equipped with Seagate ImagePerfect™ AI firmware, the drive reliably records high quality, sharp video footage with no dropped frames, while simultaneously facilitating AI-enabled NVR analytics – ensuring that intelligence gathered through video surveillance footage is not lost.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 pm

What a buzzword-filled load of BS. That entire press release could be boiled down to one sentence: "Our new drive is fast, reliable, and works well in servers with mixed streaming/random workloads and high queue depths."

IOW it's a high-performance NAS drive.

But adding "AI" to its list of features means they can charge a few bucks more per drive, because, well, it's AI-compatible! Or something.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks MOSFET. I missed the "cloud" parts, and the firmware that sharpens video streams on the fly.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 pm

Wouldn't the sort people/businesses who need this sort of low latency random reads for sophisticated AI be able to afford large capacity solid state storage anyhow? Jeez.

the
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 pm

meerkt wrote:
What a load of crap:
https://www.seagate.com/about-seagate/n ... master-pr/

I want an HDD optimized for rickrolling. I suggest calling it RickHawk Platinum. The drive motor could be made to avoid rotating in harmonics related to the song, and so improve average performance while rickrolling.

I'll just leave this here.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
Wouldn't the sort people/businesses who need this sort of low latency random reads for sophisticated AI be able to afford large capacity solid state storage anyhow? Jeez.

Large capacity solid state at the enterprise level is stupid expensive. They probably have dozens or hundreds of GB of SSDs acting as SAN caching but the main storage is typically still spinning disks.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:

Not when you need to buy petabytes of it. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 pm

AI / machine learning is the new IoT / cloud buzzword fad.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 pm

strangerguy wrote:
AI / machine learning is the new IoT / cloud buzzword fad.

They even managed to work those buzzwords into the press release too. Triple play!

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
Large capacity solid state at the enterprise level is stupid expensive.

Never has a truer statement been made. Enterprise storage in general is stupid expensive. If you need high capacity, you're definitely still going for spinning disks. Using SSD's as caching drives still makes for some pretty impressive I/O. Most enterprise-level SANs these days do data tiering...meaning that files/blocks that are accessed often are placed on faster storage like SSD's, while other files are stored down on spinning disks. They will even taken into account the rotational speed and RAID level. For example, 15K RPM drives in RAID 10 would be favored over 15K RPM drives in RAID 6. There's a lot of *ahem* analytics involved in figuring out what goes where.

With regards to the specific mention of surveillance video, they're targeting people who use high-end NVR software and appliances, but don't really know any better with regards to the drives. Some NVR suites like Milestone can do real-time analytics on video as it's recorded. It can be trained/coded to look for license plates, faces, trigger events when a door is opened, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of people in the position to make the decision about the storage behind their surveillance software will be the ones wowed by all the buzz words. And another unfortunate thing, the sales people who sell the software and appliances either won't understand that this is all fluff, or they will and know that the people they're talking to don't so they'll use it as an "up sell."
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Like some of you, I was remiss in not reading the press release carefully. Here are more hilites:

"unprecedented bandwidth and processing power" (translated: HDDs with moar coarz?)
"enabled more than 5X increase in exabytes" (translated: we, uh... sold drives)
"efficiently manage data storage and processing challenges" (translated: the new HDDs can store data)

curtisb wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of people in the position to make the decision about the storage behind their surveillance software will be the ones wowed by all the buzz words.
I thought the ones making the decisions would be at least as savvy as your average DIY home computer assembler.

the wrote:
I don't want it on no stinking floppy drives. I want it on 16TB 15kRPM HDDs!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:57 pm

meerkt wrote:
curtisb wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of people in the position to make the decision about the storage behind their surveillance software will be the ones wowed by all the buzz words.

I thought the ones making the decisions would be at least as savvy as your average DIY home computer assembler.

I doubt it. You are probably giving the average IT droid way too much credit.

And that's not meant as a put-down to any of the IT people on this forum; you're clearly above average if you're here! :wink:

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 pm

curtisb wrote:
MileageMayVary wrote:
Large capacity solid state at the enterprise level is stupid expensive.

Never has a truer statement been made. Enterprise storage in general is stupid expensive. If you need high capacity, you're definitely still going for spinning disks. Using SSD's as caching drives still makes for some pretty impressive I/O. Most enterprise-level SANs these days do data tiering...meaning that files/blocks that are accessed often are placed on faster storage like SSD's, while other files are stored down on spinning disks. They will even taken into account the rotational speed and RAID level. For example, 15K RPM drives in RAID 10 would be favored over 15K RPM drives in RAID 6. There's a lot of *ahem* analytics involved in figuring out what goes where.

not sure if I've told this story here before but...

Few years ago a guy demanded to have his email quota expanded to 100GB because he could "go to Best Buy and get a 1TB drive for $100". Yeah, that $100 external hard drive with the one year limited warranty, if you want to rest all of your critical or semi-critical data on that, go ahead. The email system has four copies of your mailbox each on a different raid set in two multi million dollar EMC racks in two different datacenters with a five year 24/7 - 4hour on site response time guarantee from the vendor.

(And in my job before that one at a small company, the "IT manager"* actually was adding storage by plugging external USB drives into the back of servers.)
*neither word actually fit him
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:06 pm

meerkt wrote:
curtisb wrote:

See below...point made.

MileageMayVary wrote:
(And in my job before that one at a small company, the "IT manager"* actually was adding storage by plugging external USB drives into the back of servers.)

There are the real IT people who know what they're doing, and then there are the "IT Managers" who can come up with projects and know what can be done with technology, but don't know squat about how to implement. The latter are the dangerous ones.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

meerkt wrote:
Like some of you, I was remiss in not reading the press release carefully. Here are more hilites:

"unprecedented bandwidth and processing power" (translated: HDDs with moar coarz?)
"enabled more than 5X increase in exabytes" (translated: we, uh... sold drives)
"efficiently manage data storage and processing challenges" (translated: the new HDDs can store data)

curtisb wrote:

the wrote:
I don't want it on no stinking floppy drives. I want it on 16TB 15kRPM HDDs!

I am envisioning that "IT Manager" explaining to our COO why we need these new drives and it's terrifying.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
*neither word actually fit him

Please tell me he wasn't adding them in RAID-0 pairs to improve performance.

(On second thought, that would just make the story better.)

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 am

just brew it! wrote:

I don't think he knew what RAID was, other than maybe a bug spray. This was the guy who very explicitly pointed out to me that he wrote TOP on the top side of the VGA cables in the projector bags so that no one would plug them in upside down... which would require a mallet to accomplish.

The only reason I could see to raid 0 two external USB hard drives would be: For Science!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I don't think he knew what RAID was, other than maybe a bug spray. This was the guy who very explicitly pointed out to me that he wrote TOP on the top side of the VGA cables in the projector bags so that no one would plug them in upside down... which would require a mallet to accomplish.

The only reason I could see to raid 0 two external USB hard drives would be: For Science!

I could imagine a thought process that goes, "Hey these USB drives seem kind of slow. I saw on some web site that you can improve hard drive performance by using something called RAID. Let's give that a try..."

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:07 pm

meerkt wrote:

I like your optimism. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I could imagine a thought process that goes, "Hey these USB drives seem kind of slow. I saw on some web site that you can improve hard drive performance by using something called RAID. Let's give that a try..."

Just came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dougISKs2vQ