Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Challenge: Find HGST's official warranty length :)

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
Spinning rust has always been a lottery.

SSDs are not exempt from the lottery effect. Just ask anyone who bought one of the dodgy OCZ drives, or a Samsung 840 EVO.

It really is true about the lottery thing; my 840 EVOs are still working fine and see daily use.
More seriously, pretty much every kind of drive is vulnerable to DOA.

If you updated the firmware when they (finally) released a fix, and power them up at least occasionally to enable them to do their refresh pass, they should be fine. I wouldn't trust them for long-term unpowered data retention as far as I could throw them though.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
SSDs are not exempt from the lottery effect. Just ask anyone who bought one of the dodgy OCZ drives, or a Samsung 840 EVO.

It really is true about the lottery thing; my 840 EVOs are still working fine and see daily use.
More seriously, pretty much every kind of drive is vulnerable to DOA.

If you updated the firmware when they (finally) released a fix, and power them up at least occasionally to enable them to do their refresh pass, they should be fine. I wouldn't trust them for long-term unpowered data retention as far as I could throw them though.

Isn't that the downside to NAND in general????

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 pm

HERETIC wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I wouldn't trust them for long-term unpowered data retention as far as I could throw them though.

Yeah, but moreso with the 840 EVO. AFAIK it was the last die shrink of planar TLC before everyone went to 3D (and larger cells). I think 840 EVO pushed the tech a little too far.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I wouldn't trust them for long-term unpowered data retention as far as I could throw them though.

Yeah, but moreso with the 840 EVO. AFAIK it was the last die shrink of planar TLC before everyone went to 3D (and larger cells). I think 840 EVO pushed the tech a little too far.

Don't think it was the shrink-The 840 had the same problem on 21nm.
My take is it was a issue with TLC that took a while to show it's ugly head.
And Samsung being so far ahead of everyone else-the issues were solved by the time they got there.

As to larger cells-Iv'e read 40nm and 30nm for Samsung 3D.Have not found any info on anyone else's 3D.
Came across 20nm once.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:18 am

I have a 120gb 840EVO in my main rig acting as a cache drive (swapfile, browser cache, windows temp, photoshop scratch, etc) to save wear from garbage writes on my main SSD. I think it’s only at something like 1.5TB of writes in that role after several years, but it gets to stay powered almost 24/7, and I don’t know what else I’d do with it.