Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Drive bay activity LED stopped working, but only for a specific drive

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:07 pm

My desktop system has a dual hot swap 2.5" bay. For a while I've had a Toshiba THNSNJ512GCSU (512GB SSD) in one of them. For some reason, the activity LED on the hot swap bay no longer shows activity when the drive is being accessed. The drive still works fine, and I just tried another drive in that bay, and the activity LED works normally with the other drive.

Weird.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Drive bay activity LED stopped working, but only for a specific drive

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
My desktop system has a dual hot swap 2.5" bay. For a while I've had a Toshiba THNSNJ512GCSU (512GB SSD) in one of them. For some reason, the activity LED on the hot swap bay no longer shows activity when the drive is being accessed. The drive still works fine, and I just tried another drive in that bay, and the activity LED works normally with the other drive.

Weird.

Ever update the firmware on that drive? Is there a Toshiba utility that can set option flags for that drive? Any evidence it's about to flake out on you?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 pm

ludi wrote:
Ever update the firmware on that drive? Is there a Toshiba utility that can set option flags for that drive? Any evidence it's about to flake out on you?

Still on the factory firmware. Every once in a while it is not detected after a system power cycle, but when that happens ejecting and re-inserting it always gets it to show up.

If it's a settable option I have no idea what might have changed it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:

Still on the factory firmware. Every once in a while it is not detected after a system power cycle, but when that happens ejecting and re-inserting it always gets it to show up.

If it's a settable option I have no idea what might have changed it.

Hope that's not the canary falling over.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am

I mostly use it to run VMs from, so if it does die, worst case I need to run VMs from a HDD instead until I replace it. So annoying, but not a show-stopper.