Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

florinn81
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Installed SSD = Black Screen

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 am

I installed a SSD on my ASUS K95VM laptop. I kept the old HDD for storage and installed the OS on the SSD. Now comes the strange part. After restart laptop boots normally, I can see both HDD, all is OK. BUT after shut down, or when I start laptop later, screen does not lit, is completely black, no flashing underscore, nothing at all. I can't enter bios. No signal on external monitor connected to VGA port. Power led is normal green, hdd led flashes but no signal whatsoever.
What I tried: pressed the power button until laptop shuts down, removed power cable and battery and waited a few minutes than put it all back. Laptop starts and sometimes screen starts also. Other times I keep starting from the button (and consecutively hold the power button down to shud down if no screen signal) until it's starts. I disabled the fast boot from windows - still the same. bios is in uefi mode, both hdd ar GPT. A, if I remove one of HDD, no matters which one, it works, laptop boots with SSD or says no system disk with the old HDD.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Installed SSD = Black Screen

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 am

Do you have the latest bios installed?
Have you tried unplugging and then replugging the drive? (I'm wondering if you have a marginal connector.)
Have you tried swapping drives if the laptop have multiple hdd's?

Is this one of those machines where the machine has both a simple bios on a rom chip and the fancy "uefi" bios or bios config application on a hidden partition on the hdd?
Was it HP or Acer that used to do that?
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

florinn81
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 am

Yes, I have the latest bios version available on asus website - 234. I tried unplugging the drives. Laptop starts normally with either one of them, just not with both of them connected :(
The bios is on the rom chip. Actually the only difference betwen normally and uefi it is a setting mode with values "legacy" or "uefi". I use UEFI with GPT because the old HDD has 3TB and MBR can use only 2.2 TB

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:44 pm

oops!
Last edited by Aranarth on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Since you have a backup... (the old hd) try installing windows from scratch with only the ssd attached to sata port 0.

When done and the machine is fine (drivers installed etc.)
then connect the second drive to sata port 1.

If the situation is still there, I suggest three possible work arounds:
1 - delete the system restore and other hidden partitions on the old drive while keeping the data partition
2 - completely delete all of the partitions on the old drive and create a new gpt partition and format with ntfs.
3 - delete all partitions, create 2 new mbr partitions each using 2tb or less and format as ntfs.

whitzmusic
Gerbil In Training

Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Unless the SSD was DoA, a re-installation of the SSD, including a complete unplugging and replugging of the power and SATA wires is likely to fix the issue. If it doesn't, check if your BIOS even detects it. Lastly, try installing it on another machine which already has at least one SSD running. If it still doesn't show up/work, I'd attempt to return it.