Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

essexbopara
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

the seagate exturnal drive

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:07 pm

the 8tb seagate exturnal hardrive it either says local disk or t does not register but if i go too device management it shows up there and if i click on the local disk a warning comes saying unreadable or cuppruped is it possible too fix the device with the data intact the light of the device stays on all the time

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: the seagate exturnal drive

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:32 am

Have you tried accessing it on another PC/laptop, to rule out the possibility of problems with the USB ports on your system?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

essexbopara
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 am

yeah i did same thing

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am

Sounds like you need a partition/data recovery tool like TestDisk (https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk).

Whether a data recovery tool like TestDisk will get your files back depends on the nature of the problem. If it is just a corrupted partition table, you should be able to get everything back. OTOH if the corruption is the result of malware/ransomware, or the drive is experiencing hardware issues, your mileage may vary (some or all of the files may be unrecoverable).

Depending on how important these files are to you, a professional data recovery service may also be an option. But be prepared to spend big bucks (typically hundreds of $).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.