Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Just installed an SSD. Anything I should be wary of?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:50 pm

I jumped on the SSD train super early. I had a (nortoriously problematic) OCZ Vector and it was awesome. It was like a whole new computing experience back then. I'm talking 2009.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Honestly a little hard to believe you held out until 2018. I understand not everyone has access to these components, or (necessarily) the funds to acquire them, but SSDs have been the norm for a long while now.

Believe it. SSDs aren't really norm yet here, considering we don't get deals as good as what you guys usually get.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:22 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
And once a year, you should take hard drives out of cold storage and scan them for bitrot. With exception of maybe archival-quality tape drives, which are designed for this sort of cold storage... I've seen recommendations to scrub hard drives every week btw. I personally try to scrub every few months on my NAS (ZFS Scrub make that job very easy)

Scrubbing tapes is definitely still a thing. It tends to happen every 5-7 years with a tech refresh anyway. :)
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | Dual LSI SAS

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Waco wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:
And once a year, you should take hard drives out of cold storage and scan them for bitrot. With exception of maybe archival-quality tape drives, which are designed for this sort of cold storage... I've seen recommendations to scrub hard drives every week btw. I personally try to scrub every few months on my NAS (ZFS Scrub make that job very easy)

Scrubbing tapes is definitely still a thing. It tends to happen every 5-7 years with a tech refresh anyway. :)

An aside: Linux software RAID defaults to a full scrub once a month. Presumably now with RAID-6 I'm better off than I was before with RAID-1, where there was no way to determine which copy was the "good" one in the event of a mismatch. (Plus Linux's RAID-1 implementation has a weird interaction with ext4 and the block cache which can result in false positives in areas of the disk which ext4 considers to be free... very annoying!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:49 pm

I scrub my ZFS arrays every few months (at home and with the several hundred 100+ TB arrays at work). More often is generally a total waste of time and performance.

The best part of ZFS is that it KNOWS which copy is correct, so you can go a lot longer without fearing for your data.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | Dual LSI SAS

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:19 am

Install Crucial Storage Executive and keep an eye on the SMART values. Keep checking at least monthly to look for any anomalies. Make sure that the life remaining percentage does not start going down too quickly. That can happen if you install some monitoring application that uses a database or just any other memory intensive application that thrashes the disk constantly. Consumer SSDs are not meant to survive a lot of writing. You will be fine with normal daily activities like web browsing and gaming. Hope you haven't skimped on the quality of your PSU. Cheap no-name brand Chinese PSU's don't deliver ripple-free current which can shorten the lifetime of your expensive PC components.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 am

mikewinddale wrote:
So SSDs require scratch space to do their write operations. As the drive gets filled, performance degrades. If you want to be sure to avoid this problem, you can manually overprovision your drive. This means, you can format your drive to leave some empty, unformatted space at the end of the drive. This ensures there's always some empty scratch space for the SSD to use.

Often wondered- Is there any difference between over-provisioning and unused space?
EG 50GB used- 25GB over-provisioning 25GB free space.
Or 50GB used-50GB free space..............................................

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 am

Now that I’m reading through this I’m curious: what is considered good media for backups, and what is a good ‘scrubbing’ procedure to make sure the data stays fresh?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:50 am

Btw: ntfs does have a maximum limit to the number of fragments a file can have.
Windows 10 still defrags files if they get over a certain number of fragments.

Windows 7 does not so I DO recommend defragging ssd's on win7 machines once a year just in case.
https://superuser.com/questions/1315108 ... s-per-file

If I understand it correctly, if a file is small enough and fragmented enough the table of where all the parts are can be larger than file you are trying to store leading to wasted space.
(But not a lot of wasted space of course.)

I wonder if defragging the drive might be one way to help avoid bitrot... hmmm...
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:48 am

HERETIC wrote:
Often wondered- Is there any difference between over-provisioning and unused space?
EG 50GB used- 25GB over-provisioning 25GB free space.
Or 50GB used-50GB free space..............................................

Provided you have TRIM enabled, I believe they should be roughly equivalent from a wear leveling standpoint.

FireGryphon wrote:
Now that I’m reading through this I’m curious: what is considered good media for backups, and what is a good ‘scrubbing’ procedure to make sure the data stays fresh?

The following are what I'd consider "best practices"... I don't necessarily do all of these things consistently myself:

High quality optical media and tape are likely the best from the standpoint of archival stability. Powered down HDDs should be decent as well. All backup media should be stored in an environment where they are protected from temperature/humidity extremes and mechanical shock/vibration.

I would not trust flash-based devices for long-term backup.

Keep at least 2 backups of anything you really care about, with at least one of the copies off-site.

Scrubbing should consist of 1) ensuring that all data is readable; 2) verifying that no bitrot has occurred (e.g. checksums); and 3) periodically recopying the data to fresh media.

Frequency of scrubbing is a judgement call; it depends on the media and the importance of the data. But in general, I'd say spinning disks (i.e. online RAID arrays) should be scrubbed for unreadable sectors at least monthly, and checked for bitrot at least yearly if that's not part of the scrub. For offline HDDs I'd recommend every ~2 years to verify data readability/integrity; for optical and tape every ~5. Recopy to fresh media every 2nd or 3rd time you do the integrity check.

Keep in mind that a particular type of media can become obsolete even if the data is still intact. Do you still own a PC that's capable of reading those floppies you backed stuff up to in 1992? Or the PATA HDD from 2003? And if you're using tape, what happens if that tape drive dies 4 years from now and is no longer being produced?

Aranarth wrote:
I wonder if defragging the drive might be one way to help avoid bitrot... hmmm...

Probably not. In fact, it may make matters (slightly) worse. Unless your PC has ECC RAM, the data is susceptible to bit flips while it is "in flight" during the defrag operation.

Furthermore, if a file isn't fragmented, chances are the defrag won't touch it. So the stuff that is most likely to get shuffled around is probably the more recently written (i.e. created after the previous defrag) files anyway.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am

EzioAs wrote:
So I just got my first SSD installed. This is to replace my aging primary HDD (about 11 years now IIRC). I got the Crucial MX 500 250GB from Amazon, which is crazy because even plus shipping and everything, it's still cheaper compared to getting one in my country. I got this drive because I've seen good reviews about it from tech reviewers and Crucial (Micron) seems to be the more reputable brand in the industry. Things have been good so far, I never suspected even the web browser (Firefox) would be more responsive. I do have a couple questions I'm hoping you people could help with.

1. I should never defrag SSD right, because of their limited number of writes?

It's not so much the number of writes... it's just that it's mostly pointless.

2. Should I be wary of the number of writes? Will it last as long as my original HDD or should I at least expect the usability as long as the warranty only?

Unless you are writing absolutely massive amounts of data, you should completely disregard the number of writes. Seriously, put it out of your mind entirely. Your SSD will (statistically speaking) last as long or longer than a HDD. You can check out the testing TR did for write limits on these drive if you like; but the bottom line is that unless you're pushing absolutely ridiculous amounts of data that no normal user will even get close to, it's not even an issue.

3. Any other things I should look out for?

All of the above being said... as others have pointed out, one caveat to SSD is that when they fail, they often fail hard. Whereas a HDD might start showing signs of wear and gradually die... SSDs seem to prefer to go out in a blaze of glory. There are tools that you can use to monitor them; but the real point is back up anything you cannot afford to lose. You should do that anyway.

Some drives are bad. I've had HDDs go bad a week out of the box; and the same can happen with an SSD. But the numbers are pretty tiny.

The overall point here is that, in terms of your experience, the odds are extremely high that the the only difference you'll notice with your new SSD is that things run much, much, much faster; to the point where you'll find it difficult to even imagine going back to a spinning disk.

mikewinddale
Gerbil First Class

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
Honestly a little hard to believe you held out until 2018. I understand not everyone has access to these components, or (necessarily) the funds to acquire them, but SSDs have been the norm for a long while now.

So until two years ago, my computer budget was always about $500, tops. (I was an undergraduate spending mommy's money.) So I just couldn't fit an SSD into that budget. Two years ago, when I bought my present computer, I finally had the budget to purchase an SSD for the first time.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Speed. Be wary of speed. Speed is addictive. Speed kills. :lol:

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:12 pm

To other's points: De-Fragmentation was much more important on mechanical drives since the fragments forced the mechanical read head to jump to different locations on the drive, slowing file transfer. Now there is no mechanical limit in addressable SSD space, so the time impact between a contiguous read vs. fragmented read is very little. It simply is not worth defragmenting a SSD drive. Well, unless you are severely type-A and cannot even stand the thought of your files being stored messily on the SSD.

And no, the process of deframenting will not refresh the drive properly. It will only refresh sectors which have moved and wont touch those that have not.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:53 am

My opinion on defragmenting- Generally NO with a "BUTT."

Back in the day's of spinning rust boot drives my monthly procedure was-
After doing my online banking-run c-cleaner-reboot-run defragler and defrag "C"-reboot...................
These days on a SSD I get up to doing a analysis with defragler,then click file,and see there's a few
files with thousands of fragments(usually logs)-I tick everything over 100 fragments(usually less than 10)
and defrag those.Takes less than a minute.May or maybe not be worth the effort.My way of looking at it is-
it probably saves the controller some garbage collection.From observation my C drive can vary about 2GB
free space,depending if garbage collection has been done or not (excluding updates.)The reason for this is
the way SSD's write small files-a tiny file on a page can stop the rest of that block being written to until garbage
collects them and puts them all in one block.Some modern SSD's have procedures to overcome this-I'm thinking
of Sandisk's folding.This SSD in my daily driver is a 128GB C400 several years old and 84% life left.

Back to the "BUTT"
SSD controllers run very hot-A defrag is probably the hottest thing they could do outside of benching,so if you don't
have a C partition and especially in a lappy-DON'T..
Once a year if you analyze your C, and it's mostly red,then it probably won't hurt to defrag it..............................

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:36 am

HERETIC wrote:
These days on a SSD I get up to doing a analysis with defragler,then click file,and see there's a few files with thousands of fragments(usually logs)-I tick everything over 100 fragments(usually less than 10) and defrag those.Takes less than a minute.May or maybe not be worth the effort.My way of looking at it is-it probably saves the controller some garbage collection.

I'm firmly in the "not worth the effort" camp on this. The percentage of total SSD space represented by the small number of files you're defragmenting is so tiny that the benefits are almost certainly "lost in the noise" (if they even exist at all).

HERETIC wrote:
From observation my C drive can vary about 2GB free space, depending if garbage collection has been done or not (excluding updates.) The reason for this is the way SSD's write small files-a tiny file on a page can stop the rest of that block being written to until garbage collects them and puts them all in one block.

2GB free space variation as reported by what? The OS, or some vendor-supplied tool specific to your SSD?

The SSD's underlying flash page architecture is invisible to the OS; so if this 2GB variation you're seeing is being reported by the OS, it is due to something other than flash page fragmentation. A vendor-specific tool might report that, but I'm not aware of one that does.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
From observation my C drive can vary about 2GB free space, depending if garbage collection has been done or not (excluding updates.) The reason for this is the way SSD's write small files-a tiny file on a page can stop the rest of that block being written to until garbage collects them and puts them all in one block.

2GB free space variation as reported by what? The OS, or some vendor-supplied tool specific to your SSD?

The SSD's underlying flash page architecture is invisible to the OS; so if this 2GB variation you're seeing is being reported by the OS, it is due to something other than flash page fragmentation. A vendor-specific tool might report that, but I'm not aware of one that does.

Reported by windows via a drive monitor sitting just above CoreTemp gadget on rh side of my desktop.
Because there's only 14/16GB free on C, it's something I keep a eye on.
Turn my box off when not being used-glance at it every time I boot up.
Your reading that paragraph different to what I meant-my bad....................
The majority of that 2GB will be down to the cr*p way that windows writes small files to SSD's.
Couple thousand 4k files sitting in 8/16k pages,stopping 4MB blocks being written to..........

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:31 am

HERETIC wrote:
Reported by windows via a drive monitor sitting just above CoreTemp gadget on rh side of my desktop.
Because there's only 14/16GB free on C, it's something I keep a eye on.
Turn my box off when not being used-glance at it every time I boot up.
Your reading that paragraph different to what I meant-my bad....................
The majority of that 2GB will be down to the cr*p way that windows writes small files to SSD's.
Couple thousand 4k files sitting in 8/16k pages,stopping 4MB blocks being written to..........

You are misunderstanding how the OS interacts with SSDs. Aside from TRIM (more on that in a bit), as far as the OS is concerned SSDs are just really fast disks, with independent 512 byte or 4K sectors.

The fragmentation of the flash blocks is completely invisible to the OS. The OS only tracks space based on whatever cluster size you're using on the FS (typically 4K on NTFS, IIRC). If a file or fragment gets written that only uses part of a (larger) flash block, the OS still thinks the rest of that flash block is free. If it subsequently tries to write elsewhere in that block, the SSD reads the block, inserts the new data, writes it somewhere else, and GCs the original block. This is completely invisible to the OS, so the OS CAN'T track that "written but still unused" space in partially used flash blocks.

It is the SSD firmware's responsibility to make the drive behave as if all of the 4K logical blocks are independent, even though under the hood they're not. If the firmware didn't do this, NTFS simply would not work. At all.

Partially used blocks don't "stop those blocks from being written to". It just makes writes a little slower, since the SSD's firmware needs to internally read the block then rewrite it somewhere else in the flash array. And for small (single filesystem block) files, this overhead is likely "lost in the noise" since updating the file system meta-data (not writing the actual file data) is going to be the bulk of the work anyway.

TRIM (from the OS's perspective) has no idea of the underlying flash block size either. It just tells the SSD "I freed up this range of LBAs", and it is up to the SSD's firmware to determine whether that allows any previously written flash blocks to be preemptively GCed.

yeeeeman
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:55 am

If you have Windows 10 installed you should just use it. Nothing else to do.

rephlex
Gerbil

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:02 am

The only thing I would be wary about is that the free drive cloning software provided by Crucial (a version of Acronis True Image) doesn't do a true clone, it changes the disk identifier and the volume serial numbers. RealVNC did not like this. Actually, it even changed the size of the MSR partition from 16 MBs to 128 MBs without telling me. Actually, it changed the size of all but the EFI partition without telling me. It even changed the order of the partitions too! And the first partition which used to start on the 2048th sector now starts on the 34th. Clone still boots though, fortunately. Strange but true. Proof attached in the form of fdisk -l output, sda is the original disk and sdd is the clone. N.B. disk identifiers have been redacted because I'm paranoid.

Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 534527 532480 260M EFI System
/dev/sda2 534528 567295 32768 16M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sda3 567296 1952598015 1952030720 930.8G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sda4 1952598016 1953519615 921600 450M Windows recovery environment

Disk /dev/sdd: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sdd1 34 262177 262144 128M Microsoft reserved
/dev/sdd2 264192 796671 532480 260M EFI System
/dev/sdd3 796672 1952598015 1951801344 930.7G Microsoft basic data
/dev/sdd4 1952598016 1953523711 925696 452M Windows recovery environment

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:09 am

Pagey wrote:
Speed. Be wary of speed. Speed is addictive. Speed kills. :lol:

Yeah, man. Watch out for whiplash. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:16 am

rephlex wrote:
The only thing I would be wary about is that the free drive cloning software provided by Crucial (a version of Acronis True Image) doesn't do a true clone, it changes the disk identifier and the volume serial numbers. RealVNC did not like this. Actually, it even changed the size of the MSR partition from 16 MBs to 128 MBs without telling me. Actually, it changed the size of all but the EFI partition without telling me. It even changed the order of the partitions too! And the first partition which used to start on the 2048th sector now starts on the 34th. Clone still boots though, fortunately. Strange but true. Proof attached in the form of fdisk -l output, sda is the original disk and sdd is the clone. N.B. disk identifiers have been redacted because I'm paranoid.

That's... really lame. You should try to fix that partition alignment issue if you haven't already. With a start sector of 34, you have file system blocks which straddle flash block boundaries in the SSD. This will leave some performance on the table, and result in an increase in write cycles to the underlying flash array for a given amount of user data written.

There's really no excuse for any partitioning/cloning utility released in the past 6+ years to screw the partition alignment up like that, given that Advanced Format (4K native sectors with 512 byte sectors emulated in the drive firmware) started rolling out for mechanical HDDs in 2011; AF HDDs will take a substantial performance hit if the partition starts at sector 34 (much worse than the effects for a SSD).

rephlex
Gerbil

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:37 am

I don't think the partition alignment issue will be a problem as it's only the Microsoft reserved partition affected, all of the other partitions start on a multiple of 2048.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:39 am

rephlex wrote:
I don't think the partition alignment issue will be a problem as it's only the Microsoft reserved partition affected, all of the other partitions start on a multiple of 2048.

Ahh, OK. Yeah, that's not so bad then. Still kind of lame that it did that.

rephlex
Gerbil

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, it's weird. Why would it swap the first two partitions around though?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

rephlex wrote:
Yeah, it's weird. Why would it swap the first two partitions around though?

Yeah, that's pretty lame too.

rephlex
Gerbil

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:53 am

I would like to know what that achieves though. It's been playing on my mind.

Waco
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm

rephlex wrote:
I would like to know what that achieves though. It's been playing on my mind.

Confusion. :P

EzioAs
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:05 pm

rephlex wrote:

I used EaseUS Partition Master Pro to transfer the OS and clone.
Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport AT 3200MHz | Palit Jetstream GTX 1060 6GB | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Obsidian 750D | 250GB Crucial MX500 | 320GB WD Blue | 1TB Samsung F3 | 2TB WD Black

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm

I've been using Macrium Reflect to do this sort of thing after TR ran a promo with them a while back, but even the free version will do a drive to drive clone AFAIK.