Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Impact of various SSD brands on laptop battery life

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 am

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8856 ... index.html

In most of the tests, a "busy" SSD doing internal cleanup chores can reduce a laptop's battery life by more than an hour! Very enlightening.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Impact of various SSD brands on laptop battery life

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:13 am

As expected, the worse the NAND, the higher the battery life cost.

MLC > TLC > QLC.

I keep saying it, but QLC is just a bad idea, period. The controller cost/performance/power consumption overheads are simply too high to justify the cost savings, even at high capacities of 1TB or more....
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:38 am

An anecdata point: Several years ago I had a memory card I tried to use in my Sansa Clip music player that completely trashed the battery life. Was a Kingston card, IIRC. None of the other cards I tried had that issue. So it would appear that even without fancy high-performance wear leveling or TLC/QLC overhead (pretty sure this was back in the MLC era), power consumption of flash chips can vary quite a bit.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 am

It's been years since I used a Kingston product. I steer clear of them ever since they decided to profit through sourcing low quality components.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:17 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
It's been years since I used a Kingston product. I steer clear of them ever since they decided to profit through sourcing low quality components.

Their RAM is decent. Their flash products are hit-or-miss. They're still my "go to" brand for RAM, but I tend to go with Crucial for SSDs these days.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
As expected, the worse the NAND, the higher the battery life cost.

MLC > TLC > QLC.

I keep saying it, but QLC is just a bad idea, period. The controller cost/performance/power consumption overheads are simply too high to justify the cost savings, even at high capacities of 1TB or more....

* For now.

Like it or not it's all that'll be available in a few years. The cost savings will increase over time as well.

The performance for reads matters a hell of a lot more for 99.99% of the market, so the low sustained sequential speeds of current products really don't matter.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Writes and block clearing are the more power intensive acts of an SSD. People don't seem to realize that fast-write caching requires everything written to the drive to actually be written twice. Also means half those writes instantly generate dirty blocks that need to be cleaned quickly so the cache stays fast. So of course twice the writes are going to affect battery life. If it is TLC or QLC it will be using a fast-write cache.

Waco wrote:
Like it or not it's all that'll be available in a few years. The cost savings will increase over time as well.

The industry can only cut endurance by half so many times before SSDs begin to wear out as quickly as HDDs. QLC drives at 100TB endurance (for an Intel 512GB drive) seems to me to about the limit. Halving that one or two more times with future process node shrinks would mean anyone silly enough to be using QLC models as the OS drive would start to see them dying from typical use in 5 years just from natural background processes Windows 10 does.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 am

Oh we're certainly headed into the realm where host writes might actually matter for once.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS