Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Cannot update firmware on old Samsung 840...

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 pm

So I got an old computer from a friend recently and it had a Samsung 840 120GB (non EVO, non Pro) in it that I installed for him right when these drives came out back in 2012 or early 2013 (had no idea about the problems back then). I know these aren't great or even GOOD drives but I have a need for a basic SSD to drop into an old system I use for testing AGP graphics cards. I Intended to update the firmware to fix the issues. I thought it'd be as simple as connecting it to my main PC via SATA, installing Samsung SSD magician and telling it to update. Boy was I wrong! It has now been about an hour and a half and I still haven't made any progress.

When I run the latest SSD Magician the drive says it has the latest Firmware... derp, no it doesn't? It has DXT06B0Q, which is the version the drives shipped with! This is well documented online. The fixed firmware was apparently DXT0AB0Q. I tried downloading version 4.9.7 of Samsung Magician, because this is the version that all of the news articles mentioned as having the fixed firmware when it was released. However, that one says the same thing! In fact, when I hit the "authenticate" button it says it failed to authenticate the drive. I bought this for my friend from either Amazon or Newegg, it has worked fine other than clearly having issues reading old files (I benchmarked it myself...), which is the problem the 840 has, so there's no way it is a fake. I've read several complaints online where this issue is related to Intel's RST drivers not being installed, but I already have the latest version that works on my P67 chipset.

So, then I find the Firmware updates section of this page:
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/m ... oad/tools/

And it has a DXT08B0Q firmware update for these drives... okay, I have no idea whether 08 or 0A is newer, but I figured I'd try it. Problem is, there is no firmware update utility! There are instructions for flashing a bootable update utility ISO to a flash drive using unetbutin (seriously... a gigantic company like Samsung tells users to download freeware to fix their drives)... but guess what they don't provide? The ISO! I've been at this for the better part of two hours now and I need to take a breather. If anyone has any input or could explain how I may be able to get this drive updated, I'd love to know. I was on the fence about what brand my next primary SSD will be but this experience has solidly scratched Samsung off the list. They don't even support or acknowledge the existence of the SM841 (OEM 840 Pro) I use in my main PC currently, they've had several very serious issues with past drives and now it seems when they do fix a problem there's no guarantee that fix will be available a few years later.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.2Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - XFX RX 570 8GB
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Re: Cannot update firmware on old Samsung 840...

Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey Ozz,
FYI, have a 120 GB 840 in a ivy box-same vintage.
Magician 4.9.7 tells me my firmware is-DXT0AB0Q.
Can't remember date, but was updated about a year after they fixed the EVO.
Drive is "NOT" fixed. Degrades slowly. Thought about swapping out drive, but determined to get my moneys worth.
Only a minor inconvenience to have to run Diskfresh about every 4 months, brings drive back up to speed...............................
Good luck............

Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 am

change ports on drive between controllers if possible.
A lot of motherboards have 2 brands of controllers on board (i.e. Marvell and Intel) and the ports are usually different colours. swap to other set for firmware update.

Had this issue on an old AMD board.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am

Really not worth the trouble at this point. You can get 120GB drives for under $20 now.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks guys. I thought these drives were pretty much okay once the firmware was updated. I didn't realize they still required frequent "refreshing". That's totally not worth the hassle since the use case would make this very noticeable (tester drive loaded with applications and games... accessed frequently but never changed). I'll just thoroughly wipe the drive (and the 840 EVO in my laptop for that matter) and move it along. I just got a nice deal on a couple of Adata SU800 512GB drives for $50 a piece so that will allow me to move some of my smaller older drives around. My first SSD (Crucial C300 64GB) is still kicking so that'll work fine in my tester system.

Thanks for helping me make a decision. :)

I'm still waiting for a super special deal to replace the SM841 128GB in my main system. I'm hoping for a Crucial MX500 1TB, but I haven't been able to get myself to put down the money on one yet.
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:36 pm

It would probably be fine in a laptop that is core2duo vintage. It'd be faster than a platter drive, but still be held back by the rest of the machine that you wouldn't notice the difference over a new SSD.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
It would probably be fine in a laptop that is core2duo vintage. It'd be faster than a platter drive, but still be held back by the rest of the machine that you wouldn't notice the difference over a new SSD.

I don't think it's worth it still when the transfer rates eventually drop down to the level of hard drives from the late 90s. I'd rather just use a more reliable drive and let someone else deal with it if they really love Samsung. :lol: