Personal computing discussed

Moderators: morphine, Steel

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Anyone here using an Intel 660p SSD?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:30 pm

Been thinking of ditching the Fury in my rig due to low storage space and the 660p's insanely low price-per-GB and performance compared to SATA drives - am eying the 512GB model, though even 1TB seems possibly good.

How's the drive going for longer-term owners? Since it's QLC, I'd like to know if there were any possible slowdowns over time (as it were with the Samsung 840 (EVO) from years back). First generation products tend to make me a bit wary, even though apparently Intel has a good track record reliability-wise.
i5-9600K@4.9 | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Re: Anyone here using an Intel 660p SSD?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Noinoi wrote:
How's the drive going for longer-term owners? Since it's QLC, I'd like to know if there were any possible slowdowns over time (as it were with the Samsung 840 (EVO) from years back). First generation products tend to make me a bit wary, even though apparently Intel has a good track record reliability-wise.

There's really no way to know. I'm sure Samsung thought the 840 and 840 EVO were fine at the time.

Personally, after the TLC 840 series debacle, I wouldn't touch a first generation drive like this. Unless you go through drives quickly, its generally worth it to pay a little more for a better one if it's going into your main system.
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.2Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-2133 - PNY GTX 970
HTPC - i7 4790 - Asus B85 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - XFX RX 570 8GB
Selling lots of cool PC stuff on Mercari. Use code VBGQMM for a $10 sign up credit!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm

I still haven't forgiven Samsung for that one. To this day, my 840 Evo SSDs are the last Samsung products I've purchased.

I've been considering lifting my personal Samsung boycott for the past year or so, but in general LG/Crucial/whoever (depending on the product) have reasonable alternatives, so until there's a truly compelling Samsung product I feel I can't live without, I guess I will remain Samsung-free.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am

Yo. I'm running an 660p in my HTPC, so far so good. Very fast system, very responsive. However, it's only a couple months old so far.

For what it's worth, I have an older 600p in my NAS machine for a couple years now and it's pretty darn fine.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:55 pm

I wouldn’t use one as a system boot drive, or anywhere you’re going to be doing alot of writes, but they could work well in the right application. For instance, they’re a perfect fit for a games drive, where the only meaningful writes would be during install, and then almost all reads after that.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:40 am

If the OP does decide to use one as a system drive, just install Intel SSD Toolbox and check the life remaining counter regularly every couple months or so. Start planning for a new drive when it reaches 30%. But most likely you would be safe for two years at the minimum unless you do some heavy duty Photoshop or RAW image editing. My 750GB MX300 at work is at 97% after almost 2 years. And it lost a whole percent in a month coz I stupidly installed some firewall monitoring application using MySQL as its DB.

The fastest life remaining counter countdown I saw was with a 1st gen OCZ 30GB SSD. I took it out of my laptop when it showed just 5% remaining. It's still around somewhere.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:07 am

Thanks for the advice guys! After some consideration, I'm now waiting for a 512GB model to arrive at my office. Hopefully it won't take too much babysitting with the SSD Toolbox helping out.

Ideas floating around what to do with the leftover drive...? Aside from selling it, of course.

For reference: the Fury in my rig is at 95% after around 3 years or so.
i5-9600K@4.9 | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

morphine
TR Staff

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:46 pm

I have a 970 EVO in my main box, the 600p in the NAS, and the 660p in the HTPC.

I can tell you that for 95% of the common tasks, the EVO isn't any faster in practice. For anything other than a power user that knows they will use a lot of I/O somehow, a low/mid-range drive like the 600-series is Just Fine.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 pm

I purchased a 1TB 660p two weeks ago, so no long term results (and its not my boot disk, too lazy to transfer off my Crucial BX100) - I'll absolutely keep you updated if i notice anything
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

BIF
Gold subscriber

Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Well, I am your Huckleberry. I bought two 660Ps, 2TB each, and put them into my Alienware Area 51M. That was about a month ago maybe? So too soon to really say.

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
If the OP does decide to use one as a system drive, just install Intel SSD Toolbox and check the life remaining counter regularly every couple months or so. Start planning for a new drive when it reaches 30%. But most likely you would be safe for two years at the minimum unless you do some heavy duty Photoshop or RAW image editing. My 750GB MX300 at work is at 97% after almost 2 years. And it lost a whole percent in a month coz I stupidly installed some firewall monitoring application using MySQL as its DB.

The fastest life remaining counter countdown I saw was with a 1st gen OCZ 30GB SSD. I took it out of my laptop when it showed just 5% remaining. It's still around somewhere.

Yep, this is what I'm planning to do.

Along with OS, application, and everything else, each of my 660P drives has one or two big partitions with music virtual instrument libraries...so there's a couple of big chunks of mostly read-only data on them. Those libraries don't get updated very often at all and that's because the libraries are fairly stable these days.

I figure when I start seeing the life expectancy bar drop, I'll probably need to react quicker because those big partition chunks probably can't play a part in any wear-leveling strategy that the drive would be trying to employ. By then, there should be 4TB M.2 drives available or 4-6 TB 2.5" SSDs available and I'll just shift those library partitions to another drive.

I'll keep y'all updated on my experiences with the 660P drives.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 am

Noinoi wrote:
Ideas floating around what to do with the leftover drive...? Aside from selling it, of course. For reference: the Fury in my rig is at 95% after around 3 years or so.

Please, PLEASE don't sell it! It's an older drive based on MLC most likely hence it can take quite a beating in the writes department. Set it up as a dedicated scratch or paging drive. Will increase the performance of your rig during heavy memory usage scenarios and even save your new Intel drive from the brutal onslaught of paging writes.

Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 am

BIF wrote:
I figure when I start seeing the life expectancy bar drop, I'll probably need to react quicker because those big partition chunks probably can't play a part in any wear-leveling strategy that the drive would be trying to employ.

Depends on how much free space is left on them. 2TB is a pretty healthy size for an SSD in wearing out terms but if the space left on them is only 10% or less, they are indeed gonna wear out pretty fast. Better try to keep them at least 25% free.

Those musical instrument libraries are backed up to cold storage, right? Coz a single bit flip could render a file unreadable (depending on the file format). You might wanna use OpenZFS or Windows ReFS for their data scrubbing features to prevent bitrot.

https://github.com/openzfsonwindows/ZFSin
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08 ... ation-sku/
https://brismuth.com/zfs-on-linux-vs-wi ... 2d3746f47a

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 am

It's a bummer that MS decided to remove ReFS support from most Windows 10 editions. One of the 10 features I really thought set it above 7, but not anymore.

BIF
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
BIF wrote:
I figure when I start seeing the life expectancy bar drop, I'll probably need to react quicker because those big partition chunks probably can't play a part in any wear-leveling strategy that the drive would be trying to employ.

Depends on how much free space is left on them. 2TB is a pretty healthy size for an SSD in wearing out terms but if the space left on them is only 10% or less, they are indeed gonna wear out pretty fast. Better try to keep them at least 25% free.
Yep, I do try to keep 25% free, but I go through drive space like some people go through toilet paper. um.... :oops: :P

Those musical instrument libraries are backed up to cold storage, right? Coz a single bit flip could render a file unreadable (depending on the file format). You might wanna use OpenZFS or Windows ReFS for their data scrubbing features to prevent bitrot.
This is a great point. Oh yes, all of my drives get backed up regularly, even the static ones. It's ALWAYS faster to restore from a Macrium backup than it is to rebuild. If it's riding around in my laptop or spinning away in my workstation, it gets backed up. These mostly read-only partitions don't need a frequent backup cycle like my OS or application partitions, but oh yes, I back them up. That's the best disinfectant to keep Murphy and his laws away from me! Currently, I do incrementals twice each month and full backups about once every other month. And I keep 3 or more full backup cycles on each backup drive.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Have the drive in my rig now. It's been only a bit over 2 days, but it seems like I've gotten a significant speed increase in boot times (Windows no longer bothers to put the loading spinner and just immediately goes to login from a shutdown), and it sure felt like programs start a lot sooner, too. Currently sitting at 30% usage of storage space after migrating.

The old Fury is now doing triple duty as scratch drive, page file drive, and Documents folder. My Documents folder is absurdly tiny. It's just barely over 10 GB. Once everything is in their proper places, the overall storage usage of the old SSD is at 7%. Now that gives me some interesting ideas on what else to let it hold...

I did a quick CrystalDiskMark check and drive appears to be providing better-than-advertised read speeds and its write speeds are on-point - and much faster than the old drive, especially with regard to sequential R/W (over 3 times as fast) and random QD1 reads (around 50% better). I have a feeling these might have to do with why the computer now starts faster...

Seems like endurance shouldn't be a problem. Only written 251GB as of this morning, and a good chunk of it was from the migration, and then another one from CDM benchmarking. In actual use I probably write less than 2 GB per day.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:02 pm

I don't have one.