Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Marvell 92xx SATA chip temperatures?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm

What temperatures are you seeing on Marvell SATA chips?

I have a (88SE)9215-based card with a small 26x26mm heatsink.
Even with no storage device hooked, the heatsink is at +31-32C above ambient, in an open case.

The highest I've seen was +34C. I didn't yet truly stress-test it.

BTW, the card seems a bit spartan. Would you expect more capacitance, or some protection?

Image Image
Last edited by meerkt on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Marvell 92xx SATA chip temperatures?

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Your description is somewhat confusing. By "+34C", does that mean 34 above ambient temperature, or just 34C overall? 34C overall is nothing.

In any case, if you're worried about it, the mounts appear to be the same size as an old-school northbridge chipset. If you've got the clearance, you should be able to slap something like a Zalman ZM-NB47J or the modern equivalent on there.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:02 pm

Temperature above ambient.

Not sure if I should be worried. If all of them run hot like that, and with practically no power gating or down-clocking, and they survive long-term, so be it.

Though it might be heating up a neighboring graphics card (and maybe a motherboard electrolytic).

No room for tall heatsinks.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Open case can actually be pretty bad for cooling of the motherboard and add-in cards. Unless you have a fan aimed at them there may be very little air movement across the components, which in turn means you're relying almost solely on convection. With the case closed, your case fans push/pull air through the case and across the components.

That said, yes, that sounds a little warm. But I'd check again with the case closed and some I/O running through the card before I'd get concerned. If it stays about the same or goes down under those conditions, I'd say you're fine.

And yes, that's a pretty sparse looking card. But there do seem to be a few SMT capacitors, and with a high-frequency switching regulator the amount of required capacitance can be fairly small.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:42 pm

The easiest solution would be to add a slot-mounted fan(s) below it, or a slot exhaust. Either would work to just get some additional airflow over the heatsink. Should be a number of options on Amazon and elsewhere for <$15.

As it stands, though, I wouldn't be too concerned with leaving it as-is.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:07 pm

The only case I/O fan is the PSU, but closing the case led to a surprising 5 °C drop on the SATA chip. Still ended up 29C above ambient, though.
(BTW, the closed case didn't improve the temperature of other things: one motherboard sensor and an HDD stayed at the same temperature, and the CPU went up a bit).

The Egg: I don't want to add active cooling. Maybe replacing the heatsink, but I don't like the idea of a thermal sticker.

Anyway, if anyone's running a similar SATA chip, or a comparable card (maybe ASMedia based), I'm curious about its temperature.

And a software sidetrack:

Any thoughts on the generic Microsoft SATA drivers versus Marvell's?

Any idea what's the "Marvell PNP listener service" for? (mvpnplistener.exe)
Not all driver packages include it, and hotswapping works without it.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Any thoughts on the generic Microsoft SATA drivers versus Marvell?

At this point, I always use MS SATA/AHCI drivers unless there is a VERY specific reason not to. I've had a couple of add-in SATA cards, though not within the last 5 years or so (excluding LSI, which also run ridiculously hot). I don't remember them (Sybas and Sabrents and Vantecs etc) being uncomfortably hot, but that doesn't necessarily mean yours is failing or broken.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 pm

Marvell specs the chips for up to 85 C ambient temperature and up to 125 C junction temperature. You're fine. :)

https://www.marvell.com/storage/assets/ ... 76-00B.pdf - page 35, section 5-3
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:41 pm

MOSFET wrote:
I don't remember them (Sybas and Sabrents and Vantecs etc) being uncomfortably hot

So you actively measured?

Waco wrote:
specs the chips for up to 85 C ambient and up to 125 C junction temperature

I usually strive to be a bit below Tjunction max. :)

(BTW, the max ambient for the "commercial" variant, rather than "industrial", is just 70C (pg 39)).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:59 pm

meerkt wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
I don't remember them (Sybas and Sabrents and Vantecs etc) being uncomfortably hot

Hopefully MOSFET will clarify that, but I assumed that by "uncomfortably hot" he meant "can you put your finger on it without it being painful". Which, assuming typical ambient temps, would probably imply a maximum rise above ambient somewhere in the 20s (C).

Some thoughts on your other questions:

If the card seems to be performant and stable with the stock drivers, I'd leave it at that. Definitely a case of "if it ain't broke..."

The temp differences with the case closed are not surprising. CPU has its own fan, so was not relying solely on convection with the case open. Closing the case probably resulted in increased turbulence of the airflow inside the case (providing more net airflow past the SATA chip's heatsink), but also an increase in the amount of warm CPU exhaust getting recycled around inside the case (given your lack of additional case fans). This would've helped the SATA card (since even a small amount of warm airflow is better than NO airflow, as long as the temperature of the warm air is still substantially below the temperature of the chip), but hurt the CPU (since it is breathing more of its own warm exhaust).

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Closed-case temperatures: the HDD that stayed the same might be tucked far away in a nook, but the mobo sensor? But yeah, too many variables to consider.

Microsoft drivers: Yous prefer them also over Intel's?

The Marvell ones are newer than Microsoft's, and are harmless as far as extra junk is concerned. I'm thinking, surely Marvell had some reason to create them.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:58 pm

meerkt wrote:
The only case I/O fan is the PSU.......
The Egg: I don't want to add active cooling. Maybe replacing the heatsink, but I don't like the idea of a thermal sticker.

Well.....yeah. Seems you already know, within those constraints your only options are a larger heatsink or tolerate the status quo.

Were it me, even if demanding near silence, I'd probably get a slot-exhaust, connect it to one of the many Zalman Fanmate controllers I have stashed away (cheap, single-fan analog dial), and turn the speed down to barely above cut-out. Having done this before for a passively-cooled videocard, I can tell you that the result is completely inaudible.

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:28 am

meerkt wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

Waco wrote:
specs the chips for up to 85 C ambient and up to 125 C junction temperature

I usually strive to be a bit below Tjunction max. :)

(BTW, the max ambient for the "commercial" variant, rather than "industrial", is just 70C (pg 39)).

70 C ambient appears to be significantly above his junction temp. It's fine. :P
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Two translated user reviews I found here:

"The heatsink of the chip is very hot, fixed +61C."

"the radiator is really warming, up to 50 without load."

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:18 am

The Egg wrote:
meerkt wrote:
The only case I/O fan is the PSU.......

Well.....yeah. Seems you already know, within those constraints your only options are a larger heatsink or tolerate the status quo.

Were it me, even if demanding near silence, I'd probably get a slot-exhaust, connect it to one of the many Zalman Fanmate controllers I have stashed away (cheap, single-fan analog dial), and turn the speed down to barely above cut-out. Having done this before for a passively-cooled videocard, I can tell you that the result is completely inaudible.

I have read about the SAS/SATA chips temperatures being uncomfortable issue. Unless you have a super cramped case, I have found 2 apparently viable options (copy cats abound on ebay and other sites, do go shop around):
https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Three-Mo ... B00UJ9JSBY
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Graphics- ... B073QLQ87R

I prefer the 2nd one because I have more flexibility to shift the fan around (for a controller card I figure 1 fan is enough) to direct the airflow more onto the default heat sink.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:59 am

Flying Fox wrote:
I have read about the SAS/SATA chips temperatures being uncomfortable issue. Unless you have a super cramped case, I have found 2 apparently viable options (copy cats abound on ebay and other sites, do go shop around):
https://www.amazon.com/Bracket-Three-Mo ... B00UJ9JSBY
https://www.amazon.com/NOYITO-Graphics- ... B073QLQ87R

I prefer the 2nd one because I have more flexibility to shift the fan around (for a controller card I figure 1 fan is enough) to direct the airflow more onto the default heat sink.

Oh, cool (pun intended)! I may need to get a couple of those. Looks like a good solution for hot-running cards of all types.

meerkt
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:40 am

I'm not ready for extreme measures. :)
It'll be wait and see. Too bad there's no integrated temperature sensor.