Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

SSD install detail questions

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

I am trying to install a Sabrent rocket 1TB into my asus z190 pro gaming mobo. I don't have the standoff and screw - which are too small for local hardware stores (I did check). I must have pitched the tiny bag with them at purchase time.

This got me thinking (dangerous, i know!) - 1) is the standoff necessary or could I just screw it down with a longer screw and leave air space? Leading to 2) is there a ground or other connection between the standoff/mobo and the ssd? and 3) if not, would a plastic spacer work just as well? Finally - the big question - why are the screws/mounts not standard sizes? (Such as the usual mobo standoffs).?

Amazon reviews indicate that many new mobos do not include M.2 screws/mounts. (Really??!)

Gerbils and engineers might know such things... Thanks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: SSD install detail questions

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:05 pm

My experience is that the drive works without the screw, but I installed them anyway, so I don’t have to worry about it coming unplugged when I’m moving my PC.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:32 am

JAE - Thanks. I know it will work w/o the screw (some suggest tape too) but wonder how important these things are and how they work.

The screw socket seem to have a gold coating and does not appear to touch other parts of the PCB. (Which seems similar to offset mounting holes on a mobo). Ground perhaps? Just a look?

And perhaps the screws could be standardized across makes and mobos - an engineering concept of great user value.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:12 am

The M.2 standoff and screw are standardized. They're just not the same as case standoffs or screws.

AFAIK the pad is there for durability only, there's no grounding through the holddown screw.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am

It may in fact provide an additional ground path, but the grounding provided by the electrical connector ought to be sufficient.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.