Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: A surprising variety of SSD speeds

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 am

Waco wrote:
(also, you should see how much fun it is to repair a tape that snaps while running at full speed).

LOL, I am having bad flashbacks.

One of my "skills" back when I worked at Fermilab (early 1990s) was recovering data from 8mm tapes that had been eaten by malfunctioning drives. The drives were helical scan, so when things went sideways there was often a wad of unspooled tape tangled up in the internal drive mechanisms, which in turn required disassembly of the drive to extract the cartridge. More often than not, the contents of the tape (minus the file at the point where the tape got mangled) was actually recoverable.

I imagine with a modern serpentine scan (e.g. LTO) tape, recovery is harder, since a mangled/broken section of the tape is going to affect all of the tracks, hitting many files.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Well, I'm still waiting for an affordable 4TB SSD to put into my laptop...

I did pick up a WD Blue 4TB SSD on Black Friday(Thursday) $385.

Still don't understand why the 4TB SSDs cost $500 +/- and the 2TB SSDs cost $200 +/-.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:08 pm

jmc2 wrote:
Still don't understand why the 4TB SSDs cost $500 +/- and the 2TB SSDs cost $200 +/-.

Two possible explanations:

1. 4TB SSD is still considered to be a niche product, and priced accordingly.

2. 4TB SSD is using bleeding edge (denser) NAND flash chips, which have a higher per-GB cost.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:33 pm

3. You just bought 4TB for $400±. :)

Waco
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Waco wrote:
(also, you should see how much fun it is to repair a tape that snaps while running at full speed).

LOL, I am having bad flashbacks.

One of my "skills" back when I worked at Fermilab (early 1990s) was recovering data from 8mm tapes that had been eaten by malfunctioning drives. The drives were helical scan, so when things went sideways there was often a wad of unspooled tape tangled up in the internal drive mechanisms, which in turn required disassembly of the drive to extract the cartridge. More often than not, the contents of the tape (minus the file at the point where the tape got mangled) was actually recoverable.

I imagine with a modern serpentine scan (e.g. LTO) tape, recovery is harder, since a mangled/broken section of the tape is going to affect all of the tracks, hitting many files.

Yep. Broken tapes hit 32 tracks on the newest LTO/TS drives (and doubling again in the next gen). It's usually not worth fixing one that's broken beyond the first few feet of tape since you can't really rebind the tape in the middle of the reel without special equipment. Dismantling of the drive is almost always required.

just brew it! wrote:
jmc2 wrote:

Two possible explanations:

1. 4TB SSD is still considered to be a niche product, and priced accordingly.

2. 4TB SSD is using bleeding edge (denser) NAND flash chips, which have a higher per-GB cost.

It's (1). The denser drives are actually significantly cheaper to manufacturer. The base cost of the controller, casing, testing, firmware, etc is pretty fixed; the flash gets cheaper as it goes up in density.
Desktop: X570 Gaming X | 3900X | 32 GB | Alphacool Eisblock Radeon VII | Heatkiller R3 | Samsung 4K 40" | 1 TB SX8200 Pro + 2 TB 660p + 2 TB SATA SSD
NAS: 1950X | Designare EX | 32 GB ECC | 7x8 TB RAIDZ2 | 8x2 TB RAID10 | FreeNAS | ZFS | LSI SAS