Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

HotSwap? No Hdr if no power on when booting.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:00 am

I guessing not all my sata ports are hot swap.
I bought an interesting half length power switched, drive tray (with drive fan).
3 or 4 inches sticks out of the front. Easy to grab and remove AND runs cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3 ... UTF8&psc=1

But if the drive is not powered on when my old X79 3930 Sandybridge boots you never see it.
I remember seeing an Asmedia(?) chip in bios listing "hotswap" on/off. Will have to dig through the bios and see what else might hot swap.
Don't know right now what ports the Asmedia chip handles.

Thanks.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: HotSwap? No Hdr if no power on when booting.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:08 am

If there's a setting for AHCI mode, make sure that is enabled. If the port is operating in legacy SATA mode you probably won't get hot plug capability.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 am

I think all should be? Just make sure all ports as set to AHCI mode.

Don't like these half-depth bays.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:22 am

jmc2 wrote:
I remember seeing an Asmedia(?) chip in bios listing "hotswap" on/off. Will have to dig through the bios and see what else might hot swap.
Don't know right now what ports the Asmedia chip handles.

Most mobos that have "helper chips" will have the SATA ports the chip handles in a different color. In my experience, those ports are also the highest-numbered ports on the board (ports 0-3 are 99.99% of the time from the core chipset).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:20 am

Been digging around in the X79 Bios, making sure all "hotswap/plug" is ON and ACHI..all was ok.
Well, now plug in and power on, the drive does show up, Yay!

I'm ok with plug in and turn on. Not comfortable with pluging in anything but USB hot.
Going to buy more trays with power switches just for my own comfort level.

Oh yes, the half length tray with a fan is cooler but not enough. I have to turn on another case fan input to cool them down to lower 40sC. I want the drives to be in the lower half of acceptable not at the upper limit. Have read much better life span down there. Need to put in a small fan just for the hard drives alone.

One of the two Asmedia Sata ports (Yes,are different color) is ejectable (even if it is the boot drive). I wish they all were.
I would eject them and then knowing that the drive "can not" be in use, power it down.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:55 pm

jmc2 wrote:
I'm ok with plug in and turn on. Not comfortable with pluging in anything but USB hot.

As long as you've got a bay that ensures the drive slides straight in and out (perpendicular to the connector), SATA is perfectly safe to hot plug as well. The power and ground contacts are different lengths to ensure that connections are made and broken in an order that prevents damage to the electronics.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 am

just brew it! wrote:
jmc2 wrote:

As long as you've got a bay that ensures the drive slides straight in and out (perpendicular to the connector), SATA is perfectly safe to hot plug as well. The power and ground contacts are different lengths to ensure that connections are made and broken in an order that prevents damage to the electronics.

Hmm, I've got an old 1TB Sata drive here to experiment with...

Thanks,