Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Error during cloning ---> not working ssd

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:05 pm

zEfn wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
You may have received a defective SSD. If doing a secure erase doesn't fix it, it is time for an RMA.

WEll i cant do secure erase in Kingston ssd manager because of partitions.

Secure erase shouldn't care about partitions. I suppose they may be artificially limiting that capability in their tool to prevent people from inadvertently wiping out the wrong drive.

There should be guides online for how to secure erase using a Linux live (USB) image. You'll want to disconnect all other drives when you do this, to eliminate the possibility of accidentally wiping out your OS drive...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zEfn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
zEfn wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
You may have received a defective SSD. If doing a secure erase doesn't fix it, it is time for an RMA.

Secure erase shouldn't care about partitions. I suppose they may be artificially limiting that capability in their tool to prevent people from inadvertently wiping out the wrong drive.

There should be guides online for how to secure erase using a Linux live (USB) image. You'll want to disconnect all other drives when you do this, to eliminate the possibility of accidentally wiping out your OS drive...

Well i am pretty sure i fixed my ssd, since i play games right now on it. Partitions stayed but i dont think they affect my windows speed or ssd speed so. I think it is safe to say that this problem is solved!

zEfn
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:30 am

just brew it! wrote:
zEfn wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Cleaned the partitions with diskpart, so that fixes it.

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 am

That means diskpart is more powerful than the Disk Management console. Very nice. Thanks for sharing. By the way, now you can use some other disk cloning utility to move over your Windows partition to the SSD so you can get the full benefit of the SSD's superior performance. You can use the HDD for cold storage. Also, keep an eye on the SSD health in the Kingston SSD software. Keep checking it at least once in six months and be very concerned if you lose more than a few percentage points of the remaining life counter in six months.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:39 am

To my knowledge, there’s no better tool for that than Macrium Reflect. Give the free trial version a whirl.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:20 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
To my knowledge, there’s no better tool for that than Macrium Reflect. Give the free trial version a whirl.

TBH, Macrium Reflect is a bit too sensitive to errors. I've had clonings fail with it in the past and was forced to use a tool from Acronis.