Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Installing an SSD

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi,

Need some help with an issue I'm having. I recently build up a new pc with the next config: Ryzen 3600, GeForce 2060 Evo, 16 GB RAM, 650 watts Corsair psu.

I put all these components on this motherboard: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13091/analyzing-b450-for-amd-ryzen-a-quick-look-at-all-the-motherboards/10

For storage I (temporarily) used an old 2 TB hard drive, until I get an SSD. The thing is, I need some clarifications about installing an ssd (both 2.5 type and m.2 type).

1. For 2.5' types, do they use the same type of screws as normal hdds? If the location for the 2.5' is placed horizontally on the case (the ssd touches the case), do I need to use stand offs?

2. As you can see from the picture in the link I provided, the m.2 slot in my motherboard is covered by the gpu. The motherboard is supposed to come with a so-called anchor. But the pictures supposed to provide the instructions on installing the m2 from the motherboard b450m-k manual (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B450M-K/E14215_PRIME_B450M-K_UM_WEB.pdf - see pages 18-19) display a different type of motherboard (the pictures show the design of the b450m-a), where the m.2 slot is above the gpu. So I'm not sure the anchor can be used in this case (and I also don't have it: either the motherboard package did not include the anchor, contrary to what the manual says, or I have lost it while building, because I searched for it everywhere the next day and it was as if the Earth swallowed it - I'm not even sure whether there was such an anchor in the original case, because I did not pay enough attention to it when unpackaging).
As seen in the picture of the motherboard, the m.2 slot has 3 holes, numbered 2242, 2260 and 2280. Are these slots for screws, depending on the type of ssd? And do they need stand offs (there are no corresponding holes for stand offs in the case under those 3 holes)?

And, in general, do ssd come with their own installing kits? ( what if you want to put them in an old motherboard which does not have install kits or you simply lost/damaged those which came with the motherboard?)

Thanks in advance.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Installing an SSD

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 pm

2½" drives use smaller screws than 3½" drives do. If your case doesn't have a 2½" drive bay, you can mount your SSD on a 2½" to 3½" adapter (or use rubber bands or velcro or even sticky gum to mount your SSD).

Your motherboard probably came with an itty-bitty screw or clip that goes in the notch at the end of the M.2 SSD to secure it in place. It's not really necessary if you don't move your system around much. The friction of the edge connector will hold the SSD securely enough most of the time. It may be that the screw or clip is pre-installed at the 80mm position, since 2280 is the most common size for M.2 drives. If you buy one that is a less common length, you may have a piece that should be relocated.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
2½" drives use smaller screws than 3½" drives do. If your case doesn't have a 2½" drive bay, you can mount your SSD on a 2½" to 3½" adapter (or use rubber bands or velcro or even sticky gum to mount your SSD).

The motherboard does have a 2.5 inch bay (albeit is a rather peculiar arrangement - with the ssd being placed vertically on the case side). What I wanted to know is whether 2.5` come with their own screws - because I'm not 100% sure whether those which came with the motherboard fit.

Your motherboard probably came with an itty-bitty screw or clip that goes in the notch at the end of the M.2 SSD to secure it in place. It's not really necessary if you don't move your system around much. The friction of the edge connector will hold the SSD securely enough most of the time. It may be that the screw or clip is pre-installed at the 80mm position, since 2280 is the most common size for M.2 drives. If you buy one that is a less common length, you may have a piece that should be relocated.

Perhaps, but either because I misplaced it or it wasn't there to begin with, I don't have that clip anymore. Hence the same question as above.

It may be that the screw or clip is pre-installed at the 80mm position, since 2280 is the most common size for M.2 drives.

It is not. The 80 mm position is empty, that is why I asked what should go there (a screw with/without a stand off?).

Also, a 2.5 ssd can safely touch the case or it needs standoff like the motherboard? (My case is a rather peculiar design with a vertical slot parallel with the motherboard - that vertical slot has 4 holes for connecting 2.5 ssds - I want to find out whether I simply screw the 2.5 ssd in place - which will touch the case -, or I need stand offs).

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm

A 2.5" SSD should not need any kind of standoffs, as every one of them I've seen has been fully enclosed, with the only exposed electrical contacts being the power and data connectors. In fact, on a couple of occasions when I did not have the appropriate mounting hardware and knew the system would not be moved much, I just left the SSD laying loose on the bottom of the case. If you're worried about it rattling around, a piece of duct tape will take care of that. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:41 pm

Thanks, just brew it. The matter with 2.5 ssd is clear.

About the M2 types: I found these stuff on internet, which might solve my problem: https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_18288/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en

For those who use M.2 ssds, do you use metallic or plastic screws/stand offs? Also do you use plastic washers? And, in general, is there anything I should be careful about (besides avoiding static electricity - I know that)?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 am

Noldor wrote:
The motherboard does have a 2.5 inch bay (albeit is a rather peculiar arrangement - with the ssd being placed vertically on the case side). What I wanted to know is whether 2.5` come with their own screws - because I'm not 100% sure whether those which came with the motherboard fit.
I remember using the smaller threaded screws that were for floppies and 5.25" bays.

Noldor wrote:
For those who use M.2 ssds, do you use metallic or plastic screws/stand offs? Also do you use plastic washers? And, in general, is there anything I should be careful about (besides avoiding static electricity - I know that)?

I would say don't use too much force when things don't fit.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/S ... UM_WEB.pdf
Page 1-10. Try look for the anchor again?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Noldor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:03 am

Flying Fox wrote:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/S ... UM_WEB.pdf
Page 1-10. Try look for the anchor again?

That's the issue, it seems I have lost it somehow during the build.