Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

NAS builds - anyone want a topic on em?

Wed May 27, 2020 8:30 pm

Cause I've got the weirdest config for a NAS ever.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: NAS builds - anyone want a topic on em?

Wed May 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Weird SW, HW, or both?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Weird SW, HW, or both?

Virtualized on ESXi 5.5. Hardware passthrough (two IBM sas cards passed through) utilizing a virtualized unraid running .. umm more than 9 drives (storage, OS SSDs, etc).

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 27, 2020 9:24 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Weird SW, HW, or both?

Virtualized on ESXi 5.5. Hardware passthrough (two IBM sas cards passed through) utilizing a virtualized unraid running .. umm more than 9 drives (storage, OS SSDs, etc).

Yikes. That is weird!

Mine's only weird in having an extra 3-drive hot-swap cage stuck to the outside top of the case with foam mounting tape, and the power and I/O cables to the upper cage snaking their way out through one of the PCI slot openings. :wink:

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 27, 2020 9:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Weird SW, HW, or both?

Yikes. That is weird!

Mine's only weird in having an extra 3-drive hot-swap cage stuck to the outside top of the case with foam mounting tape, and the power and I/O cables to the upper cage snaking their way out through one of the PCI slot openings. :wink:

Ok. This will be a long poorly thought out, often edited post. But I'll start with the basics.

Hardware:
SuperMicro X10SLH-F
E31230v3 (4 core 8 thread)
32GB ECC Ram
2 onboard NICS
Boot Device: Onboard USB Stick
2 IBM M1015 flashed to 'IT Mode'.

Boots ESXi 5.5 off of motherboard USB port using a USB stick.

It then passes through the 2x IBM M1015 cards to unraid - as far as ESXi is concerned these cards no longer exist. The hardware is tied to a VM.

I can now control 16 drives through native controllers on my UNRaid box.

I'll be back later to explain more.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

My current home server setup:

Asus M5A97
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8 GB unbuffered ECC
LSI 8-port SAS/SATA HBA
9 3.5" hot swap bays (6 mounted internally, 3 externally as noted in previous post)
120 GB SSD boot drive
Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
MD RAID-6 composed of 7 4 TB drives (20 TB usable capacity); drives are a mix of WD desktop drives and Seagate IronWolf

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
My current home server setup:

Asus M5A97
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8 GB unbuffered ECC
LSI 8-port SAS/SATA HBA
9 3.5" hot swap bays (6 mounted internally, 3 externally as noted in previous post)
120 GB SSD boot drive
Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
MD RAID-6 composed of 7 4 TB drives (20 TB usable capacity); drives are a mix of WD desktop drives and Seagate IronWolf

The Thuban was perhaps the best AMD cpu I ever owned, 1055t. Hot as *hell* but never failed. It was my main desktop, then my HTPC, then an early version of my NAS.

I tried a FX8350 and burned through 3 cpus and 2 motherboards before I tossed em. Haven't had AMD since (well, tried a ryzen, was DOA)

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 am

My NAS box is just repurposed, *mothball* hardware

Core i5-3570K
Gigabyte Z77-UD3H using the PCH on it as the controller
2x4GiB of G.Skill PC3-6400
4x4TB WD Reds (Don't know the exact model number off hand) in a striped mirrors zpool
128GiB Cruical SSD drive (Boot device)
FreeNAS version 11.0

I'm aware that it is running non-ECC memory but the system is only on when I need to write/read data on it. It acts more like an archive than a true NAS. ECC is only a necessity in a production environment or you are ultra-paranoid of data corruption.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 28, 2020 3:21 am

DiMaestro wrote:
The Thuban was perhaps the best AMD cpu I ever owned, 1055t. Hot as *hell* but never failed. It was my main desktop, then my HTPC, then an early version of my NAS.

Since this is a light-duty server I have the CPU governor set to "conservative". Unless it's doing its nightly mirror update or monthly array scrub, all of the cores idle along at 800MHz most of the time, so the power usage isn't *that* bad. CPU is currently reporting 28C, which is only ~7C above ambient. Looks like it got up to around 36C during the most recent array scrub. I still should probably replace it with something more efficient, but I went with the various bits of repurposed hardware I had on hand at the time.

DiMaestro wrote:
I tried a FX8350 and burned through 3 cpus and 2 motherboards before I tossed em. Haven't had AMD since (well, tried a ryzen, was DOA)

Either you had a phenomenal string of bad luck, or something ain't right there. My primary desktop is *still* an FX-8350 (on an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0), and it has been rock-solid aside from the massively flaky onboard USB 3.0 - stupid ASMedia USB chipset. :evil: (PCIe USB 3.0 card with an NEC/Renesas chipset fixed the USB issues.)

And yeah, I've got a Ryzen build on deck, to commence as soon as I clear the pile of junk from my workbench.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:

Since this is a light-duty server I have the CPU governor set to "conservative". Unless it's doing its nightly mirror update or monthly array scrub, all of the cores idle along at 800MHz most of the time, so the power usage isn't *that* bad. CPU is currently reporting 28C, which is only ~7C above ambient. Looks like it got up to around 36C during the most recent array scrub. I still should probably replace it with something more efficient, but I went with the various bits of repurposed hardware I had on hand at the time.

DiMaestro wrote:

Either you had a phenomenal string of bad luck, or something ain't right there. My primary desktop is *still* an FX-8350 (on an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0), and it has been rock-solid aside from the massively flaky onboard USB 3.0 - stupid ASMedia USB chipset. :evil: (PCIe USB 3.0 card with an NEC/Renesas chipset fixed the USB issues.)

And yeah, I've got a Ryzen build on deck, to commence as soon as I clear the pile of junk from my workbench.

I'm sure it was just bad luck.I've heard great things about Ryzens. The 8350 - aftwards not so much.I think a lot of AMDs issues are actual physical connections. AMD should just use a socket like intel. No pins on the chips - just pads.

Side note on the 8350 is I was involved in the class action lawsuit. I spent over 500 on cpus & mobos for that platform. I got 31.97 back. WEEEEEEEEE ... I bought a pizza

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 28, 2020 10:19 am

Krogoth wrote:

Core i5-3570K
4x4TB WD Reds (Don't know the exact model number off hand) in a striped mirrors zpool
FreeNAS version 11.0

I'm aware that it is running non-ECC memory but the system is only on when I need to write/read data on it. It acts more like an archive than a true NAS. ECC is only a necessity in a production environment or you are ultra-paranoid of data corruption.

How do you like freenas? I haven't tried it for years.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 28, 2020 10:56 am

DiMaestro wrote:
I bought a pizza

Good choice. I skipped over bulldozer and all its derivatives entirely. The last AMD based machine I had was an Athlon64 machine, but that'll be changing soon. I did recommend Ryzen to a friend of mine who built a 2700X machine and likes it. However, they also expressed joy about the RGB cooler, so clearly their judgement is in question.

For a NAS I'm the pleb who just bought a 4 bay box from Synology for backups and called it good. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 28, 2020 8:17 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
I think a lot of AMDs issues are actual physical connections. AMD should just use a socket like intel. No pins on the chips - just pads.

Nope, that's not a failure method at all (pins are actually much better physical connections). I have a *ton* of Bulldozer-based systems at work and they're rock-solid running 24-7 for 5+ years.

My NAS -

Gigabyte X399 Designare
Threadripper 1950X
32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR-2666 ECC
2x LSI 9207-8i flashed to IT mode
2x 128 GB Adata SSDs (boot pool) - FreeNAS boot pool
9x 2 TB 7200 RPM SATA in striped mirror pool (with one hot spare) - "active" pool for security system, backups, and active data
7x 8 TB 5900 RPM SMR SATA in RAIDZ2 - media pool

All in a 20-bay hotswap chassis in the basement. One day I'll rewire for 10G Eth, but it's currently just 1G connected.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Core i5-3570K
FreeNAS version 11.0

It is a standard enterprise NAS software package. It is overkill for home usage, but it is free though. Pretty stable as long as you aren't trying to do something crazy experimentation.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 9:54 am

Krogoth wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Core i5-3570K
FreeNAS version 11.0

It is a standard enterprise NAS software package. It is overkill for home usage, but it is free though. Pretty stable as long as you aren't trying to do something crazy experimentation.

I'm not sure 'overkill' and 'nas' are two words I'd ever use in a sentence. I mean I do have 9 3tb drives utilizing 2 IBM M1015 cards in IT mode with dual parity. :)
You using ZFS on it?

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Weird SW, HW, or both?

I configured my first DIY unRAID system around two years ago (linked in sig) and it's been a pleasure working with it as a NAS operating system. I like the web-UI, community applications/support is nice with unRAID and I appreciate all the options how to utilize it. I'm not a heavy user since I mainly built it for my file archives and streaming music after digitizing it all to lossless files. I do run a few docker apps like the recently updated Folding@Home. I just finished a duplicate NAS build using this workstation mobo and it is also working very well.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 29, 2020 10:58 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:

I'm not sure 'overkill' and 'nas' are two words I'd ever use in a sentence. I mean I do have 9 3tb drives utilizing 2 IBM M1015 cards in IT mode with dual parity. :)
You using ZFS on it?

Yep, I'm using ZFS. FreeNAS suite is complete overkill for home usage patterns. You aren't trying to setup user access lists or quotas to just stream some silly home videos about cats. ;)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 pm

FreeNAS is not "enterprise software" by any means.

TrueNAS can be with the right setup, but FreeNAS is absolutely not.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat May 30, 2020 2:24 am

Waco wrote:
FreeNAS is not "enterprise software" by any means.

TrueNAS can be with the right setup, but FreeNAS is absolutely not.

Don't let the "Free'" in the name fool you. It is definitely what used to be enterprise-tier and it is not for the novice by any means. The suite has enterprise-tier features but as whole it is becoming legacy since it doesn't support latest hardware and software ecosystems. I wouldn't deploy it on modern enterprise-tier hardware. TrueNAS is just a re-branding and the future of FreeNAS project.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Krogoth wrote:
Don't let the "Free'" in the name fool you. It is definitely what used to be enterprise-tier and it is not for the novice by any means. The suite has enterprise-tier features but as whole it is becoming legacy since it doesn't support latest hardware and software ecosystems. I wouldn't deploy it on modern enterprise-tier hardware. TrueNAS is just a re-branding and the future of FreeNAS project.

I'm consistently amazed by your penchant for posting about things that you have literally zero clue about.

I know a good number of the iXsystems crew.

I work in the "enterprise" environment as my day job managing hundreds of PiB of data.

You have literally zero idea what the hell you're talking about. FreeNAS is not "becoming legacy". TrueNAS is not a "rebranding" of anything, it's their enterprise product with real support. TrueNAS Core is the new version of FreeNAS that is trying to keep the two codebases closer together. You may not want to deploy it on modern enterprise hardware (not that you have any clue what that means) but the rest of the industry can and will.

Lastly...Jesus, just read my signature. I've run FreeNAS for 7 years now. Stop talking down to literally everyone you respond to.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 am

G8torbyte wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Weird SW, HW, or both?

I configured my first DIY unRAID system around two years ago (linked in sig) and it's been a pleasure working with it as a NAS operating system. I like the web-UI, community applications/support is nice with unRAID and I appreciate all the options how to utilize it. I'm not a heavy user since I mainly built it for my file archives and streaming music after digitizing it all to lossless files. I do run a few docker apps like the recently updated Folding@Home. I just finished a duplicate NAS build using this workstation mobo and it is also working very well.

I need to rebuild my Unraid box. Hardware it's not bad, e3-1230v3, 32gb of ram, 9 3tb drives, 256 gb SSD cache, and a variety of drives for support under esxi.

You ever play with the video hardware passthrough? If I could get that working I could then store my HTPC box. (And you ever get a Ceton tv tuner working as passthrough?)

I need to update my post on the system.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 1:09 am

Krogoth wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

You using ZFS on it?

Yep, I'm using ZFS. FreeNAS suite is complete overkill for home usage patterns. You aren't trying to setup user access lists or quotas to just stream some silly home videos about cats. ;)

I'm not using AD and ACLs?

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 am

Waco wrote:

I know a good number of the iXsystems crew.

I work in the "enterprise" environment as my day job managing hundreds of PiB of data.

You have literally zero idea what the hell you're talking about. FreeNAS is not "becoming legacy". TrueNAS is not a "rebranding" of anything, it's their enterprise product with real support. TrueNAS Core is the new version of FreeNAS that is trying to keep the two codebases closer together. You may not want to deploy it on modern enterprise hardware (not that you have any clue what that means) but the rest of the industry can and will.

Lastly...Jesus, just read my signature. I've run FreeNAS for 7 years now. Stop talking down to literally everyone you respond to.

Yea. My unraid box is what I consider to be 'dead' storage. It's not about access speeds, it's about availability and more protection. Dual Parity protection is nice. Yes, this is not a replacement for backups, but backing up 24tb in a home system is ... problematic. :)

I have deployed a few of them as backup file storage. Nothing fancy, just some place to drop backups before they're carted off site, and a easy place for restores. Not super fast, but good enough when you need to restore somebodies inbox (yea, I know. This was years ago before all the online stuff took off)

And let him talk down to people. I was a sys admin for a county, built the first tri county 911 system in my state, built the first dual county CAD/RMS/Mobile system in my state. The only person I have to prove something to is myself.

If he wants to put his foot in his mouth? Good for him.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun May 31, 2020 1:23 am

DiMaestro wrote:
You ever play with the video hardware passthrough?

I'm about to give that a try soon, although I'm not using unraid so this may not be entirely useful. What I've read so far is that it's generally a bit more work than passing through a network controller, or something like that. It's also a bit easier with AMD hardware because the drivers from Nvidia check if they're running in a virtual machine and return error code 43 if they are. They want you to buy one of their fabulously expensive pro cards instead of passing through a consumer card. I already have an RTX 2070, so I'm going to use that and just tell QEMU to lie to the windows guest about what it's running on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 2:09 am

Redocbew wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:
You ever play with the video hardware passthrough?

I'm about to give that a try soon, although I'm not using unraid so this may not be entirely useful. What I've read so far is that it's generally a bit more work than passing through a network controller, or something like that. It's also a bit easier with AMD hardware because the drivers from Nvidia check if they're running in a virtual machine and return error code 43 if they are. They want you to buy one of their fabulously expensive pro cards instead of passing through a consumer card. I already have an RTX 2070, so I'm going to use that and just tell QEMU to lie to the windows guest about what it's running on.

I'm just looking for something able to play 265/264 video - nothing fancy. Passive cooling. I have a AMD 5450 and a couple of older nvidia cards I've used through the years.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:
DiMaestro wrote:

I need to rebuild my Unraid box. Hardware it's not bad, e3-1230v3, 32gb of ram, 9 3tb drives, 256 gb SSD cache, and a variety of drives for support under esxi.

You ever play with the video hardware passthrough? If I could get that working I could then store my HTPC box. (And you ever get a Ceton tv tuner working as passthrough?)
I need to update my post on the system.

I have not tried any hardware passthrough. I'm still fairly new to learning networking and virtual/remote capabilities. A nice fellow by the handle "Space Invader One" posts several excellent tutorials which helps unRAID users get started. His beginner videos on essential plug-ins and dockers saved me from causing mistakes.

Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build