Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

W10 "Optimise" Does not see USB drives-Why

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:11 pm

EDIT NEW--------
W10 "Storage" sees the SSD and HD drives but not in the "Optimize" option.

OLD--------------------------------------------------
I've been noticing a text message in the file pane when I click on a folder...
"processing" or something. Takes several seconds before I see the files.

Reading up on W10 and SSDs as I understand it now, W10 "trims" the SSD.
As I remember it, SSDs "trim" themselves. An internal SSD function.

BUT, when I told W10 to "optimize" my 2TB sata SSD it did something for 3-5 seconds.
And now I no longer get the "message" and several second delay before the files show up!

It had been 250 days according to W10.
So looks like my memory was wrong and SSDs do not "trim" themselves internally, automatically.

Just glad the "message" and file delay is basically gone.
Last edited by jmc2 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: FYI, W10 "Optimise" fixed my SSD file delays.

Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:40 pm

optimize = Trim.

If it has not been running automatically or not doing its job then running it manually can show a big speed up.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:07 am

SSDs are doing all kinds of optimization on their own, absolutely. That's SSD makers' secret sauce, and details are not known to anyone else.

TRIM is the name of a command that the OS sends to the SSD each time a file is deleted, so it must be supported by both the OS and the SSD. This is the way to inform the SSD which sectors are no longer in use and can be erased and reused. As SSDs are sometimes too busy doing things like continuous data transfer, they can't process all TRIM commands in real time and simply ignore them. But OSes make up for that by sending the TRIM commands again. Manual optimization might be just that, however, that shouldn't be necessary as the OS is supposed to know how to maintain a SSD in good state without user intervention.

Windows 7 can do all that. I'm sure Windows 10 can do it better.

jmc2
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:27 am

Wirko wrote:
SSDs are doing all kinds of optimization on their own, absolutely. That's SSD makers' secret sauce, and details are not known to anyone else.

TRIM is the name of a command that the OS sends to the SSD each time a file is deleted, so it must be supported by both the OS and the SSD. This is the way to inform the SSD which sectors are no longer in use and can be erased and reused. As SSDs are sometimes too busy doing things like continuous data transfer, they can't process all TRIM commands in real time and simply ignore them. But OSes make up for that by sending the TRIM commands again. Manual optimization might be just that, however, that shouldn't be necessary as the OS is supposed to know how to maintain a SSD in good state without user intervention.

Windows 7 can do all that. I'm sure Windows 10 can do it better.

Yeah, I just thought that part of the "secret sauce was that "when idle" the ssd would trim itself.
My running the "optimize" or trim command in W10 did speed file displays up a lot. So trim is not part of it.

I keep W10's "optimize" turned off. I don't like it messing with my drives when ever I plug something in.
Now that I know I'll just "optimize" every 6 months or when I see a file display delay.

Thanks for the thoughts all!