Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

HDD works in external enclosure, not in case

Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:43 pm

Long time, no see. Hope its not dead here.

I bought 2 HGST 12TB drives for my Plex server. In my external enclosure (basic USB 3.1 Sabrent EC-DFLT), they both work perfectly. However, they do not work in my tower. As in, I cannot see them in the BIOS. They have power, and they are spinning, but there is no connection to the system at all. But when I put my old WD Black 3 TB drive in, it works perfectly. So, this leads me to believe that the SATA cable is fine. So what is going on? What am I missing here? This is for one drive. The second I haven't gotten to, as I have moved all of the data over, but not done the whole transition in Ubuntu for Plex yet. I am going to order a couple of SATA cables just to be sure, but not showing up in the BIOS (or diskmanagement, for that matter) is stumping me. Motherboard is an Z390 Asus ROG Strix Gaming-e, so there should be no limit as it is already set up as GPT and it is formatted NTFS.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: HDD works in external enclosure, not in case

Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:28 am

Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: HDD works in external enclosure, not in case

Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:20 am

Thanks much. I'll give it a try. What a weird thing. I am not sure I even have Molex connectors on my modular PSU. Time to start digging into my big box of computer parts.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8