Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Plextor CDWriter 12/10/32A (model PX-W1210TA)

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:17 am

http://www.plextor.be/english/products/pxw121032.html

not 100% sure i understand this, but:

http://www.plextor.be/english/technical ... 210TA.html

the firmware upgrade is on v1.10 and my info via windows says my
plextor is at v1.08 right now. i tried to download this new firmware
and run it. and it always fails...

v1.09 fixes something very important to me. this is the same problem i told frobozz about:

While the drive was playing, a read command issued by Ahead's Nero software could cause the drive to hang

only thing i saw is in the FAQ why firmware fails is this:

Q: (10/12/02) What can I do if the firmware upgrade is failing ?
A: By enabling the DMA jumper on the rear of the cdr, the firmware upgrade should work fine.

dma jumper? eh?! wtf? eh? o_O
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:20 am

Does it give you an error when it fails? (what does the error say?)

Perhaps try booting into safe mode to try it?

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:37 am

gleek, does the drive's LED flash in a certain repeating pattern. If so, refer to Plextor's technical website where you should find a page that tells what the flashing means.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:40 pm

Do you have DMA enabled?

My old Plextor 12/10/32A is still going strong in my mother's PC.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:09 pm

I don't know anything about DMA being required to burn firmware, but in addition to anything you might have to do (jumpers, etc) to enable DMA on the hardware itself you also have to make sure Windows is using it. You should check to see if Windows thinks it's on first (and if it isn't, see if you can turn it on).

thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:24 pm

k whats the quickest way to check to see if DMA is on/off on a cd drive?
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:43 am

thegleek wrote:
k whats the quickest way to check to see if DMA is on/off on a cd drive?
Right-click My Computer, choose properties (can also get here through the System applet in control panel)
Select the Hardware Tab
Choose Device Manager
Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers node
Now, it gets a little tricky. Do you know which channel your optical drive is on? (It's customary in systems with just one HD and one optical drive to put the HD on the primary channel and the optical on the secondary, but that's just a convention). If you know, right click on the channel and choose properties, and select the Advanced Settings tab. If you don't know which channel your optical drive is on, you're going to have to look at both of them.

There are two devices per channel; if there's nothing connected then the "Current Tranfer mode" will read "Not Applicable" For both your HD and your optical drive you want it to read Ultra DMA Mode (and then a number -- the HD will likely have a higher number). If one of them reads PIO, then that's probably your optical drive and it's not doing DMA. You can try changing it (it's fairly safe to do this with an optical drive; less so with a HD). Windows generally tries to put devices into DMA mode, but if it hits a sequence of errors it will back it off to PIO.