Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

How to fix "fake" pendrives

Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 am

1. Click here to download PortFree Production Program version 3.27.
  2. Extract it and run it. You can use 7-zip, IZArc or the latest version of WinRAR to decompress 7-zip.
  3. The interface is kinda ****, but that's because it's translated (badly) from chinese or something. It should show a list of all USB flashdrives connected to your computer. Don't click on "Check Flash" or it will disconnect the pendrive, instead, click on "OPTION"
  4. Clink on the "Flash Test" tab. Check only the box "Low Level Format" and set Mode to "All Blocks".
  5. Click on the "Capacity Adjust" tab. Here you'll set the real size of your flash drive. Fake pendrives are usually 128 to 256 MB flash drives with that report a fake capacity that's way bigger. This fixes this. Try a higher capacity FIRST.
  6. Click on the "Others" tab. Check "Removable"
  7. Click "OK" and you'll be back at the main window. Click "RUN" and the process will begin.
  8. Wait until it ends.
Now you'll have a pendrive that, despite being smaller than advertised, will work like a normal pendrive.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2006 1:05 am

Could you please tell me what a fake pen drive actually is? Do they intentionally miss represent their size, or is it an error?

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2006 1:08 am

Dirge wrote:
Could you please tell me what a fake pen drive actually is? Do they intentionally miss represent their size?

O_o? He says what they are in the post.

Good info VTNC.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon May 08, 2006 1:10 am

Doesn't seem to detect any of my pendrives.
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2006 1:12 am

Yea I see that under step 5. It is bizzare that you can be duped into buying fake pen drives.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 am

IMO a much better solution would be to only buy name-brand pendrives in the first place. If the manufacturer is shady enough to mis-represent the size of the drive, they probably don't give a damn about product quality either. Do you really want to trust your data to something like that? :-?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Spyder22446688
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 08, 2006 1:18 am

I have some old ballpoint bics. Is there any chance that they were labeled incorrectly, and perhaps have a small bit of memory, like 16 or 32MB?
x--x--x--x

thegst
Gerbil XP

Mon May 08, 2006 2:14 am

Spyder, BIC pens as manufactured are ill-advised to use as USB storage devices.

---

I hear they just leak memory all over the place.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon May 08, 2006 7:40 am

And I was talking to my friends last night about real fake pendrives in China in which they played the switcharoo game and you only got the empty shell when you get home. I don't think in that case any steps will help. :-?

keshman87
Gerbil First Class

Mon May 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
real fake pendrives :-?

Does this mean they are normal???!??? Dam oxymorons :wink:

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon May 08, 2006 4:35 pm

What's a pen drive?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon May 08, 2006 4:41 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
What's a pen drive?
Pendrive, thumbdrive, usbdisk, flashdisk... they all mean the same thing.

dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 08, 2006 5:21 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
What's a pen drive?

Pen Drive is one of the first USB flash drives to come out, so now many people incorrectly identify all USB flash drives as Pen Drives. It's the same thing as calling all tissues Kleenexes or copies Xeroxes. Same thing applies for thumb drive or jump drive. They are all product lines of USB flash drives.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock

VTNC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon May 08, 2006 9:51 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
And I was talking to my friends last night about real fake pendrives in China in which they played the switcharoo game and you only got the empty shell when you get home. I don't think in that case any steps will help. :-?
A friend of mine got an "8 GB" pendrive at Hong Kong as change for something and gave it to me and it didn't work. I used the above method to make it work again as an ordinary 128 MB pendrive.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon May 08, 2006 10:15 pm

VTNC wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
A friend of mine got an "8 GB" pendrive at Hong Kong as change for something and gave it to me and it didn't work. I used the above method to make it work again as an ordinary 128 MB pendrive.

At least you got something. You would hate to get an empty shell. :P

MrDuc
Gerbil In Training

Re: How to fix "fake" pendrives

Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 am

VTNC wrote:
  2. Extract it and run it. You can use 7-zip, IZArc or the latest version of WinRAR to decompress 7-zip.
  3. The interface is kinda ****, but that's because it's translated (badly) from chinese or something. It should show a list of all USB flashdrives connected to your computer. Don't click on "Check Flash" or it will disconnect the pendrive, instead, click on "OPTION"
  4. Clink on the "Flash Test" tab. Check only the box "Low Level Format" and set Mode to "All Blocks".
  5. Click on the "Capacity Adjust" tab. Here you'll set the real size of your flash drive. Fake pendrives are usually 128 to 256 MB flash drives with that report a fake capacity that's way bigger. This fixes this. Try a higher capacity FIRST.
  7. Click "OK" and you'll be back at the main window.
    tClick "RUN" and the process will begin.
  8. Wait until it ends.
Now you'll have a pendrive that, despite being smaller than advertised, will work like a normal pendrive.

The link you got is nothing, please post again. Thanks a lot.

satish33173
Gerbil In Training

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:33 am

plz help me to fix my fake pendrive
the link u give there is nothing to download

if have somthing so plz sand me at
[email protected]
or
[email protected]
thanx
satish

VTNC wrote:
  7. Click "OK" and you'll be back at the main window. Click "RUN" and the process will begin.
  8. Wait until it ends.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:29 am

Dirge wrote:
Yea I see that under step 5. It is bizzare that you can be duped into buying fake pen drives.
They're pretty common in the usual piracy havens. A friend of mine bought one in Bangkok -- it was about half the $/GB price you'd find here -- and it turned out to be far smaller than claimed (and, I suspect, not particularly reliable). And by "claimed" I'm not just referring to the packaging: it actually reported itself to Windows as 8GB or whatever but was full when filled with far less data.

As JBI says, you get what you pay for. NAND that doesn't pass QA at the factory goes somewhere, right?

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:53 am

Dirge wrote:

My aunt buys in bulk and resells them, she gets a fair amount of one that are borked like this.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:48 pm

satish33173 wrote:
plz help me to fix my fake pendrive
the link u give there is nothing to download

if have somthing so plz sand me at
[email protected] or [email protected] thanx satish

Please try to use proper english :)

Also, I pretty much doubt that anyone will give you special treatment via e-mail, but it's your call.

posti
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm

:evil:

dustyjamessutton
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:35 pm

Check out this pendrive. :D

https://www.ironkey.com/
Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names, but the bard's song will remain....

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm

We have two onetime posters in this thread. Wow.

Fox, in your experience, has someone else ever signed up and then posted only one smiley?
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:14 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
Fox, in your experience, has someone else ever signed up and then posted only one smiley?

Usually it can be spammers hiding tracker links in the text, but I did not find any.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
grantmeaname wrote:

Usually it can be spammers hiding tracker links in the text, but I did not find any.

Same here.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(