Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:30 pm

I have a poor old 4/2/24 LG burner that seems to have given up the ghost. If I put a disk in it to read the light comes on and blinks a bit but nothing happens. I have disconnected it and reconnected but it makes no difference. If I try to brun something nero just pops up that there is no media in the drive even though there is.

I also notice now that even with no media in the drive the light stays on all the time.

Anyone have any advice for me or is it time to pony up for a new 24x?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spune on 2002-03-02 12:31 ]</font>

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:15 pm

You are probably right. Has that version of Nero worked fine before with the drive? Does it read any media at all?

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 3:59 pm

Nero always worked fine with this drive. No it won't read anything.

murray
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:05 pm

Sounds like it's off to the great gig in the sky. On the other hand, my TDK 8/4/32 has similar problems periodically, but still works with a little bit of coaxing. Specifically, mine tries to spool up the disc but then fails to "catch," and after trying to do it about eight times, just sits there with its light on and claims it doesn't have the cd. Is yours doing this same spool up thing, or just playing possum?

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:37 pm

It just sits there it doesn't even spin up. I think the laser is gone. It has been cutting out everyonce in awhile for the last week or so, I wasn't too suprised when it stopped working.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:17 pm

I sure hate hearing about CD writer problems. I had a nearly 6 year old Teac 6-disk CD changer die on me a month or so ago, and now I'm hoping my 2 year old writer won't die before I decide to get something newer. I'd like to find some place that can tell me about quality, returns, and long-term reliability of hardware. My current writer claims something like 50,000 hours MTBF, if I recall, but I now wonder about it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:42 pm

I've had only two CD-ROM drives fail in many years of computing. The first was a Mitsumi/Gateway 4X that was 7 years old. Of course it failed right in the middle of installing a new version of Windows on the old PC. Arrgh!. We replaced that with an el-cheapo Hi-Val 25X. That crappy Hi-Val failed after two years. Every other CD-ROM I've had is still working, AFAIK, including an old NEC/Turtle Beach 8X IDE that's now close to 10 years old.

I like the year-old Pioneer 106S DVD and 2-yr-old Plextor 12/10/32A CD-RW in my main system, and I've also been impressed with the Lite-On CD-RW I helped install in a friend's computer. HP and Philips CD-RWs have not impressed me.

Spune
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:59 am

My LG was about two years old but I had burnt a million and one disks in it. Think of it this way I lived in Rez for 2 years I was the first guy in my building to have a burner, so it was pretty busy.

I replaced it with a Aopen 24/10/40 which I think is going back to the store. Has anyone else around here had experience with these drives (I think the 20/10/40 is basically the same drive) Quite often in Nero it gives Medium Speed Error. So basically it is a bugger to get it to burn anything. A quick check of the Aopen forums shows a lot of other people with the same problem, and Aopen doesn't seem to care. I'm gonna take it back and see if I can get a Liteon (I listen to Forge's Pimping!) or another LG. Anyone got any suggestions for me?