Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: New hard drive? Read this first.

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Well since this thread has been brought back from the dead, (2008) maybe the OP should be updated :D
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Still, Ned, you're lucky that your car stereo knows what USB is. :lol: At least the 4GB FAT32 file size limit isn't a big deal for music...

4GB wouldn't be an issue for car stereos, but could be for video files on a TV. Thankfully (I guess) smart TVs are so awful that nobody would ever want to use them for that functionality.

While we're on the topic, does anyone know why car stereos always have a limitation on the maximum number of files and folders they can use through USB? It's generally always 10,000 files /1,000 folders, and the best I've ever seen is 15,000 files. It's been this way since I bought an aftermarket car stereo back in 2008 (for a different vehicle), and it never changes -- even on 2016 flagship units. Is this a limitation of FAT32, or something else?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
Still, Ned, you're lucky that your car stereo knows what USB is. :lol: At least the 4GB FAT32 file size limit isn't a big deal for music...

Tell that to Win 8.1 and the portable USB HD to which I'm currently ripping all of my CDs in WAV format. It's a 2 TB unit and even from the command line it wouldn't take a FAT32 format.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:01 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Well since this thread has been brought back from the dead, (2008) maybe the OP should be updated :D

As soon as we settle on what it's called. FAT64 or exFAT.

Deanjo wrote:
titan wrote:
. Again, it's outside the scope of this article to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each option, however, it should be noted that if this is an external drive you will be better served formatting the drive using the FAT32 file system. This will enable you to use the drive both on Mac and Window operating systems.

No..... just no. You have a few options on OS X if you want to cross platform mount. FAT32 shouldn't be needed in this day and age.

Options are

1) format in exFAT, both Windows and OS X can r/w to that filesystem and can be used in Linux as well.
2) enable NTFS write in OS X via editing stab
3) use 3rd party plugin on OS X to support NTFS such as Tuxera NTFS, Paragon NTFS or FUSE.
4) use 3rd party plugin on Windows to read HFS+ such as Paragons's HFS+ for Windows

FAT32 should never be used in this day and age.

So, now that you got your panties twisted in a knot, take a look at the original posting date and untwist your panties. Eight years is an era in computer terms. At the time, those were the only choices that I could find.

I'll gladly update the original. You can even ask a moderator to update it. I'm not that possessive over the things I've written for the public domain. However, I want to avoid third-party software and drivers. For this guide, it's native support or nothing as it's intended for the absolute beginner.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

TheNinja
Gerbil In Training

Thu May 17, 2018 4:33 am

Excellent guide Titan. Really loved it and excellent for both newbies and seasoned techies out there :)
every day is a good day to game hard...

pink_flower
Gerbil

Tue May 29, 2018 3:18 am

Thanks for the tips! They are extremely useful! :)